2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do others see as our big weakness? for me i'd say speard from the contest...

pick 5 looks like we will get that HB for the future so tick for a need but adding one of anderson or hanners is a waste,

next year we get two really good talls but wlll mean in 3 drafts we have added zero high quailty mids to the mix,
Ginbey is a mid isn't he?

If they did take ginbey I wonder if we would then trade out and for hollands or if we take tsatas.
Wouldn't take Tstatas If I was an interstate club. When they start to say "I would prefer to stay in melbourne.. BUT"..

Surely Essendon chooses a Vic boy over an interstate player if there’s little separating them ability wise?
Sounds like they're the hardest of the early picking clubs to get a read on. Gut feel says Tsatas, but one of the other's wouldn't surprise me at all either. They may even trade it.

Could always trade down with Saints or Blues and get Hollands.

Asking price for a Tsatas should be a swap of Blues or Saints F1 with our GWS/GC F2
I think Carlton would happily trade up for Tsatas or Humphrey. If both are gone don't think we'd bite. The other mids in the draft wouldn't fill a need more than Hollands would for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some thoughts;

- Cameron quoted saying we go for a powerful midfielder

- Essendon looking at Ginbey & Humphrey allegedly

- if Tsatas does slide to us (I’m not that big of a fan but I’ll get around him if we do chose him)

- Tsatas can easily be best 23 round 1 next year and I feel he is an upgrade on Markov on that half back flank. Same attributes but a lot more upside and accumulation which Markov never had.

- Tsatas/Ginbey/Humphrey/hollands best suited for a round 1 debut.

- Tsatas, won Oakleigh b&f from 6 games in the nab league. Averaged 33 touches, has a nice frame in a few years will hopefully develop a strong upper body and core to break tackles.

- I feel if he follows Anderson’s progression, he’ll be set for a big future.

- I know he’s flight risk but if we don’t go Oli Hollands I feel they are all flight risk anyways and the club should just back it’s systems in.

- we’ve had 1 player request to return home completed in the last few years. Get best available talent and trust the process.

- I know he’s flight risk but if we don’t go Oli Hollands I feel they are all flight risk anyways and the club should just back it’s systems in.

- we’ve had 1 player request to return home completed in the last few years. Get best available talent and trust the process.
Agreed. It seems any player is a flight-risk these days anyway. Even players in Melbourne are home-sick and want to go home to Geelong…

Draftees are also outwardly saying they would prefer to stay in Melb. Well, King didn’t look stoked to come here initially—but he re-signed twice! In contrast, Bruhn at GWS asked for a trade after his outward disappointment at being drafted interstate… Sometimes the gamble is worth it, sometimes not. If they do go, you get as much back as you can (like Rankine) and move on.

It’s also inevitable with draft picks, and when you have a lot of them, that some will leave. They are top ranked players and often just want more game time. I reckon if they get games (much like players like Flanders or Sharp) they will stay longer.

Then it comes down to winning games, winning premierships or more money in most cases.

So we should pick the best player we also think will have the best chance of being best 22 in 2023/24/25. Then we back our culture and lifestyle to keep them long-term.

Get this creeping feeling that Ross Lyon will come into St Kilda and Jack Billings will be on the outer.

We take on his contract / extend him and call him the A grader we have been after.

His 2017 season as a 21/22 year old was excellent (aside from the 23 goals/36 behinds) but he just has never kicked on.

Get this creeping feeling that Ross Lyon will come into St Kilda and Jack Billings will be on the outer.

We take on his contract / extend him and call him the A grader we have been after.

His 2017 season as a 21/22 year old was excellent (aside from the 23 goals/36 behinds) but he just has never kicked on.
Depends if Craig Cameron has been sacked and a competent list manager who doesn't try to serve his own narrative is installed.

Let me start with, this is not a shot at Gold Coast at all, because I wish every club success at the draft.

Ginbey is not a high production mid. And I don’t believe he ever will be.

He was successful this year as a big bodied mid, because he was bigger and more athletic than everyone else he played against.

Yet he didn’t rack up big numbers, because he’s doesn’t have a natural feel for the game of a genuine midfielder.

I believe he’ll end up similar to Starcevich, that he’ll find his home in defence, as a lock down defender, because he doesn’t have the natural high possession game of a genuine mid.

Everyone’s looking for the next Elliot Yeo, instead of focusing on what the kid actually is.

Let me start with, this is not a shot at Gold Coast at all, because I wish every club success at the draft.

He was successful this year as a big bodied mid, because he was bigger and more athletic than everyone else he played against.

Yet he didn’t rack up big numbers, because he’s doesn’t have a natural feel for the game of a genuine midfielder.

I believe he’ll end up similar to Starcevich, that he’ll find his home in defence, as a lock down defender, because he doesn’t have the natural high possession game of a genuine mid.

Everyone’s looking for the next Elliot Yeo, instead of focusing on what the kid actually is.
How much midfield did he play?
Sounds like he played at half back a bit as well?

I've got my fingers crossed that's it's a bluff to scare another team into trading up to pick 5. Hopefully it spooks WC into giving us a good 2023 pick then we take Hollands.

This year's draft seems very underwhelming.

All you said appears about right. Given that most of the remaining options are either just tidy players who predominantly play midfield (probably wouldn't get a game immediately and then would just get poached in 2 years for opportunities elsewhere) or come with known flaws it may that the club is prioritising list fit/need given that we don't have a player on our list that can play that role at half back role with that combination height/power.

Dew seems to have a type that he doesn't want to play - Brodie, Bowes, even Lyons - players that don't cover the ground well or can't play ballistic defensively. Ginbey might be a player that profiles with what Dew has asked for...who knows really

Id legit spend pick 5 on Starcevich so I'm happy regardless. We are missing a really good small-medium defender and of Ginbey fills that hole, id be stoked.

His ability to play defence would be a major selling point for us, and I have not seen one Elliot Yeo comparison until you mentioned it. Maybe you have some buyer beware of the athletic top 10 pick after Rayner and Cockatoo

Depends if Craig Cameron has been sacked and a competent list manager who doesn't try to serve his own narrative is installed.
Would say he is almost a gambling list manager, ie giving up high draft picks, picking project players with academy picks , moving on players other teams might have kept. Guess the next two years will dictate whether a more conservative list manager like Wells (recruiting older proven talent) would have been a better choice with those extra AFL concessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back