2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he stays, but couldn’t blame him either. He’s looking at another 2-3 years before getting a full time gig with us. 1st round pick thank you
I doubt we get a 1st round pick for Moyle. Think he is contracted though until next year, so that gives us some power. A second rounder for a contracted player who’s never had an AFL game, but is dominating VFL, sound fair.

However, if enough clubs want him badly then we can have a bidding war—assuming Moyle wants to go and only cares about playing AFL games—which could drive up his price. Still, second rounder is the best we can hope for.

I hope he gets a game, but can’t see it happening with Witts fit and firing. Casboult and Chol are our back-up rucks and proven forwards too. He needs to be the main man. We might rest Witts a few times this year though.

Weirdly, after that year with all our tall injuries, we now have too many quality talls floating around in the VFL. Moyle, Chol and even Mac are too good for the level.

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for his name to come up. The best ruck in the country not playing regular AFL, VFL team of the year at just 21, monster size.

He would be playing for quite a few other teams right now and probably be talked up as the next big young ruck coming through.

Hopefully he holds firm with us, but will be interesting to see what he does, and what we do, in the near future with the way he is growing. Wouldn’t begrudge him for looking for opportunity. No one at the club would’ve foreseen him coming on as quick as he has.

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for his name to come up. The best ruck in the country not playing regular AFL, VFL team of the year at just 21, monster size.

He would be playing for quite a few other teams right now and probably be talked up as the next big young ruck coming through.

Hopefully he holds firm with us, but will be interesting to see what he does, and what we do, in the near future with the way he is growing. Wouldn’t begrudge him for looking for opportunity. No one at the club would’ve foreseen him coming on as quick as he has.
Moyle most probably still can't be a regular number 1 ruck in AFL for the whole season.

If you look at the article those are supposedly interested teams - Adelaide, Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon.

I doubt he would go to Port, Crows or GWS (got 3 rucks).

Cats got a similar young talented ruck in waiting (though injured at the moment).

Collingwood, Saints and Essendon got already a good primary ruck.

Just give him a couple of games this year. Sub should allow that. Learn more forward craft in VFL.

If a really attractive offer comes for Moyle then we may entertain while we have the power but if not we hold him for another season and he provides great back up for witts. Another season though and ethan read developes, mac Andrew may be an option and the need may not be as strong. Much rather keep him though.

Moyle most probably still can't be a regular number 1 ruck in AFL for the whole season.

If you look at the article those are supposedly interested teams - Adelaide, Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, St Kilda and Essendon.

I doubt he would go to Port, Crows or GWS (got 3 rucks).

Cats got a similar young talented ruck in waiting (though injured at the moment).

Collingwood, Saints and Essendon got already a good primary ruck.

Just give him a couple of games this year. Sub should allow that. Learn more forward craft in VFL.
You imagine that he is closer to getting a regular game at the Suns that anywhere else.

Can't imagine big Witts playing until 35
A good ruck is set and forget for 10 years.
We don’t want to lose him now.

Start playing him as sub then with Witt’s later in the year to see what it could look like in tandom

Moye needs to work on his forward and defensive craft so he is atleast useful while only play 40-50% ruck
He's a pretty good mark around the ground.
Think he could be a decent option if Casboult needs a rest.

You imagine that he is closer to getting a regular game at the Suns that anywhere else.

Can't imagine big Witts playing until 35

He's a pretty good mark around the ground.
Think he could be a decent option if Casboult needs a rest.
Yes, I noticed a couple of nice marks in forward line from Moyle. I suspect he can also kick set shots with some work.

Don't play Moyle as sub thats a waste of the sub, you put him in the 22 as 2nd ruckman/resting forward, then sub him out at 3qtr time for a small and have a not completely tanked Witts competing for the last quarter instead of him running on fumes.
That's what I meant. Start him and sub later. Not sure why Witts looked so dead late. He played 82% ToG. Possibly over-committed during the game :grinv1: He tries to chase everybody including small forwards. I love watching him.

Last edited:
No way can we afford to let him go.
He looks a real prospect to develop into a top ruck .
You need at least two quality rucks on your list in case of injuries
As much as I love Moyle as our ruck prospect, rucks are replaceable. We got Moyle until the end of 2024. In 2-3 years, it could be Andrew in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac smith, Nicholls and Gorringe say hello
What are you trying to say?😀 It remains to be seen if Witts and Moyle can play together especially considering our talls. If Moyle does not play in next 2 years he could be gone. That’s the reality. Andrew in 3 years could be our most exciting ruck we ever had (or not).

What are you trying to say?😀 It remains to be seen if Witts and Moyle can play together especially considering our talls. If Moyle does not play in next 2 years he could be gone. That’s the reality. Andrew in 3 years could be our most exciting ruck we ever had (or not).
I wonder if we ever play him as a ruck. A tall, speedy defender is also a strong need of ours.

Moyle is far and away our best traditional ruck prospect we’ve likely ever had. Still young, with plenty of room to develop other parts of his game.

I wonder if we ever play him as a ruck. A tall, speedy defender is also a strong need of ours.

Moyle is far and away our best traditional ruck prospect we’ve likely ever had. Still young, with plenty of room to develop other parts of his game.
Can only agree. Question is how can we include Moyle in the current lineup. This year is ok but next year he needs to get opportunities.

Can only agree. Question is how can we include Moyle in the current lineup. This year is ok but next year he needs to get opportunities.
We can’t even include Chol in our line-up so far this year. If Casboult doesn’t last the year, or likely at least not next year, then we have Chol and Moyle competing for the same spot.

Add in Walter and it’s a lot of very talented talls not getting a game, or at least a consistent one.

Credit where it's due Moyle was an astute MSD pick up. I'm comfortable with whatever he chooses, he's been a team guy toiling away in the VFL and hasn't dropped his head once. He can take an opportunity but I think the futures bright for him here too. The world's his oyster and happy for him.

He seems to be very popular at the club and would be missed by the group. He's going to be a star ruckman, if you were a Geelong or a Collingwood you'd be mad not to throw whatever it takes to secure him, just because he's not coming out of the NAB league shouldn't matter, physically primed and has great experience on an AFL list and already a vfl team of the year ruckman.

I’m all for giving Witts a rest during the season. We need him still firing at the back end of the year. Very confident moyle could come in and we wouldn’t lose too much against an average ruck.

Maybe play moyle/rest witts

Round 6 north Melbourne @ home
Round 15 hawthorn @ home.

Bye is round 13.

As much as I love Moyle as our ruck prospect, rucks are replaceable. We got Moyle until the end of 2024. In 2-3 years, it could be Andrew in the ruck.

Average or worse rucks are very replaceable.
Good or elite rucks are not very replaceable.

How many good/elite rucks are there atm in the comp. Maybe 5?
If you think you have a good ruck, go hard to keep him.
If Moyle keeps playing well, he will play this year. Wittsy will either be ripe for a rest, or will get a niggle at some point that will keep him out a week.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mac Andrew play in defense this week, but that could have been Moyle. Moyle playing on the resting ruck and giving Witts a chop-out would be great. Witts needs a good rest during games if he is going to play 23 rounds. Those two playing together could be a point of difference for us (excluding Melbourne). If Melbourne has room for the two best rucks to play together, we may too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm looking forward to seeing Mac Andrew play in defense this week, but that could have been Moyle. Moyle playing on the resting ruck and giving Witts a chop-out would be great. Witts needs a good rest during games if he is going to play 23 rounds. Those two playing together could be a point of difference for us (excluding Melbourne). If Melbourne has room for the two best rucks to play together, we may too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If you pair Witts and Moyle, you'd say Witts would be 60% ruck, where does he play the other 40%? And that means you want Moyle playing majority of his game time in another position? I just don't see it, unless Moyle starts playing CHB/FF in the vfl (which is a waste of his talent) then it's too big of a risk to try it at AFL. Both Witts and Moyle are 90% ruckman, and we have Casboult and Chol to be more than servicable as a second ruck.

If you pair Witts and Moyle, you'd say Witts would be 60% ruck, where does he play the other 40%? And that means you want Moyle playing majority of his game time in another position? I just don't see it, unless Moyle starts playing CHB/FF in the vfl (which is a waste of his talent) then it's too big of a risk to try it at AFL. Both Witts and Moyle are 90% ruckman, and we have Casboult and Chol to be more than servicable as a second ruck.
IMO, Moyle needs to learn forward craft to have any chance playing together with Witts. He did take a nice mark and scored from it in VFL.

While I love how Moyle goes about it in VFL, it's not AFL standard. At this moment he is still just promising and talented prospect.

Max Gawn is elite at sitting in the hole and grabbing a mark, I love Witta but for being the biggest bloke in the afl, he's not the most reliable mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back