• Doedee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schoenberg

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Milera

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like another good game for Cook, nice to see him getting 20+, and Worrell getting through another game.
Worell should come back in next week with Murray.

Cook should be getting another go too.

We should be rotating around 30 players as will help us develop depth.

This is something that has been going on for a couple of years now, and they always appear to be at the Northern end of most grounds, it’s not the Sturt supporters of the past
Have seen this at south, would have to have been about 5-6 years ago. Northern end. A few blokes standing next to flags on the ground (never used them) relentlessly spewing abuse at the umps and south players.

Hardcore units. Found it somewhat entertaining. Not suitable for children though.

Problem is Crouch can't play anywhere else, but we should be trying Hately as a midfielder/forward if we are serious about developing him.
I can't see Matty, Hately or Brown being on our list next year....there's a kid running around in the SANFL Kobe Ryan that would fit into the type of game Nicks wants to play way better than those 3.

Have seen this at south, would have to have been about 5-6 years ago. Northern end. A few blokes standing next to flags on the ground (never used them) relentlessly spewing abuse at the umps and south players.

Hardcore units. Found it somewhat entertaining. Not suitable for children though.
I recall being at Woodville oval a few years ago and a big brawl broke out at the Northern end WWT v Sturt

Some depth is nice but ultimately I don't want to trade for players to play sanfl.
We need to continue drafting well to fill out the depth.
Since 2020 we've done well.

Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Berry (depth?), Parnell
Rachele, Soligo, Taylor, Nankervis
Michalanney, Dowling, Bond (?)
2023: ?? + Players in current 22 upgraded.
We need to trade an elite mid for the AFL side. Stuff trading in more Hately's. I was really hoping we would get Day as he will be Chris Judd like quite possibly. I hope we offered enough as he could be a game changer for a club. We need to keep searching for that elite mid that's around 20-23. We have the cap so it's time to use it on a generational player. Another key forward should be something we look at as well. If only we took Curnow.

In saying that I'm bullish on Dowling. I reckon he should be a jet. Wozz and Nank are also gonna play a lot of AFL with us.

Last edited:
I'm not a Strachan knocker, but he was poor today (before concussion) and has been poor all of this season. He got well pushed around today. I recall him being just about our best player in the previous couple of years, with a real driving influence on the game. What has happened to him?

The theme of being monstered by bigger bodies persisted right through the side today, especially with Himmelberg, I guess inevitable with a young, slight list. What annoyed me most of all was the complete lack of leadership and grunt in the last quarter: noone wanted to put in to win the game.

I can't see Matty, Hately or Brown being on our list next year....there's a kid running around in the SANFL Kobe Ryan that would fit into the type of game Nicks wants to play way better than those 3.
Imo, you will be proven correct.

Crouch may get on another list as a rookie, but I doubt the other 2 get another chance.

The SANFL need to get involved
People (normal fans) actively avoid that end of the ground at Unley

Usually it would be a spot kids congregate to try to get a footy when a goal is kicked but the language / atmosphere isn't appropriate for them.

They are not all there. I'd guess that all have some sort of mental handicap. Doesn't excuse the behaviour but potentially a tricky one to manage.

They are not a group either. A collection of oddball individuals who congregate to a similar spot, don't converse at all but seem to be emboldened by the poor behaviour of the others near them

ask adam hartlett what he reckons of sturt fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't go that far. Strachan comfortably won the hitouts and Doyle didn't have the around the ground game to be declared "BOG". That's your anti Strachan bias.

Having to put Berg in the ruck last quarter basically killed any chance.

I didn’t see the whole game but I assume Berg only rucked last quarter and a half when Strachan went off. Berg won the hitouts for all ruckmen for the day. Suggests in that part the Sturt boys weren’t very good

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I didn’t see the whole game but I assume Berg only rucked last quarter and a half when Strachan went off. Berg won the hitouts for all ruckmen for the day. Suggests in that part the Sturt boys weren’t very good

Also shows we should try a Berg & Thilthorpe ruck/forward option during this year.

He has footy smarts but unfortunately I don't think his body will ever stand up consistently for AFL.

Sad for him as know his Dad Simon... who was a Port supporter, but an unusual one who had a soft spot for the Crows before his son was drafted... then proudly supported Crows since his drafting.
I agree. I have been a fan with how he plays, but way too many injuries to be a consistent AFL performer. The SANFL side really missed him, and Parnell for that matter today.

I'm not a Strachan knocker, but he was poor today (before concussion) and has been poor all of this season. He got well pushed around today. I recall him being just about our best player in the previous couple of years, with a real driving influence on the game. What has happened to him?

The theme of being monstered by bigger bodies persisted right through the side today, especially with Himmelberg, I guess inevitable with a young, slight list. What annoyed me most of all was the complete lack of leadership and grunt in the last quarter: noone wanted to put in to win the game.
He's average and won't end up playing AFL for any extended period of time. He's merely a backup if ROB ever goes down. The issue is that we need a better tap ruck in the AFL side that has much better kicking skills than ROB. That's a luxury at this stage as we have priorities in the midfield, forward and back.

Last edited:
At the ground today as a Crows member with a soft spot for Sturt, and it's disappointing to say a number of Sturt fans at the northern end were disgusting.

Not to me, or any other supporters, but the abuse they dished up to the umpires was awful.

I love a good natured banter about an umpire, but this was just constant vitriolic abuse.

Well done umps for putting up with it.

The Sturt fan behaviour wasn't any better at the Southern end.

People (normal fans) actively avoid that end of the ground at Unley

Usually it would be a spot kids congregate to try to get a footy when a goal is kicked but the language / atmosphere isn't appropriate for them.

They are not all there. I'd guess that all have some sort of mental handicap. Doesn't excuse the behaviour but potentially a tricky one to manage.

They are not a group either. A collection of oddball individuals who congregate to a similar spot, don't converse at all but seem to be emboldened by the poor behaviour of the others near them
I recall going to Unley, as a kid, to watch West Torrens getting done by the Rick Davies double blues. Another nearby WT supporter was told to go back to the slums by a Sturt supporter. Interesting that Henley Beach was considered the slums by Sturt supporters back then.

Nope in regards to Strachan vs Doyle while Strachan was in the game Doyle more than held his own....Berg rucked quite a bit against Key Forward Josh Rentsch as well.

The midfield thru the club is shite, Mr VB
I'm seeing the same game plan in the sanfl as I see in the AFL team.
And both teams midfields regularly get thrashed at stoppages.
Seriously, a midfield of Crouch, Berry, Hately and shoenberg should be smashing it at sanfl
About time VB was asked some questions about our structure

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2023 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Back