Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I spoke to someone who works in talent spotting over the weekend, and I flagged my concerns at Watsons height. I was laughed at.

The feel is that his height is not a detractor, it's a massive point of difference that works in his favour.
I don't know who Allan Iverson is, but comparisons were made. Basically, get the ball in his hands 25 times forward of center and you win ...
AI (Allen Iverson) is a small but insanely quick, agile and skillful PG, he was one of the best dribblers the NBA has seen, his height was a big advantage for him in a sport dominated by talls & he had alot of confidence and swagger about him.

I spoke to someone who works in talent spotting over the weekend, and I flagged my concerns at Watsons height. I was laughed at.

The feel is that his height is not a detractor, it's a massive point of difference that works in his favour.
I don't know who Allan Iverson is, but comparisons were made. Basically, get the ball in his hands 25 times forward of center and you win ...
The combination of his height and ball winning ability means he'll likely be 2nd for head high free kicks received by the end of his career.

chopflop - My biggest question mark on him would be his tank.

Nick Watson is a built like a bull. He has had to work his butt off to overcome his lack of height and as a result he appears to have a good tank. In addition he has the footy smarts to not waste his energy. I went to the Bendigo Pioneers vs Tassie Devils game and the Carlton vs Footscray VFL game to watch Harley Reid. He is certainly a highly skilled and extremely talented player. However I was surprised by what appeared to be a lack of body definition and he was more a burst player due to limited endurance. In contrast to Nick, Harley is a strong powerful young boy who has had the natural size and talent to dominate junior football. The sky will be the limit for Harley provided he is prepared to do the hard work required to be an elite AFL footballer. Nick Daicos is the classic example of a player who has left no stone unturned to become an elite AFL player. Great footy smarts and skills with an even greater work effic.

Nevermind SYL...

Yours truly hates American sports...every single ****ing one.

You may presume that the NBA/NFL/MLB quota for this thread has now been reached....

While everyone is rightfully excited about Duursma, I think Darcy Wilson may end up a better version of the same archetype of high-impact half-forward. Duursma is taller and has a better leap, but Wilson's work in contests is outstanding and his forward 50 sense of when to kick for goal or jab it into a forward is elite. I'd hesitate against both of them given we seem to run both CMacs and Moore as similar players, but I think Wilson ends up contesting a top 10 spot come October. It's still early days, but a tall forward always announces themselves at Champs and charges their way up to the top 5. Rate of improvement is a big indicator in my eyes, it shows diligence and drive to push yourself for greatness. Ward, both CMacs, and Weddle were massive risers, as was Cadman (who was a late/rookie back a year before the draft). One to watch would be Van Rooyen, who's been a star for Claremont's u18s and has been noticed by a lot of people as a real goal threat.

One I thought might of gone as a rookie is Darcy Edmends. He's playing VFL for Giants, not sure if he's a MSD hope?
I watched this kid closely last year played all vic metro games on the wing.
Has moved to GWS with 2 coaches of VIC Metro who look like they love him.

Great positioning as a winger and incredibly unselfish. Would only be better in the AFL system, I hope our Giants don’t lose him from under our feet.

Great skills and had a dominate last quarter against port Melbourne to help them win the game

While everyone is rightfully excited about Duursma, I think Darcy Wilson may end up a better version of the same archetype of high-impact half-forward. Duursma is taller and has a better leap, but Wilson's work in contests is outstanding and his forward 50 sense of when to kick for goal or jab it into a forward is elite. I'd hesitate against both of them given we seem to run both CMacs and Moore as similar players, but I think Wilson ends up contesting a top 10 spot come October. It's still early days, but a tall forward always announces themselves at Champs and charges their way up to the top 5. Rate of improvement is a big indicator in my eyes, it shows diligence and drive to push yourself for greatness. Ward, both CMacs, and Weddle were massive risers, as was Cadman (who was a late/rookie back a year before the draft). One to watch would be Van Rooyen, who's been a star for Claremont's u18s and has been noticed by a lot of people as a real goal threat.
Wilson's sporting idol outside of the AFL is Eliud Kipchoge - so for haters of American sports, he is the man!

I think he will be a lock for top 10 and will push for top 5. He has an AFL game. He tested top 10 preseason in the YOYO and he has speed and agility to burn.

High half-forward/Wing and hits the scoreboard. A lot to like

Wilson's sporting idol outside of the AFL is Eliud Kipchoge - so for haters of American sports, he is the man!

I think he will be a lock for top 10 and will push for top 5. He has an AFL game. He tested top 10 preseason in the YOYO and he has speed and agility to burn.

HVHKQKKZowjdmfM17FZt.jpeg

Also already looks good in brown and gold

Will he make the move into the midfield, or is he projecting as a winger at AFL level?

Ward played wing the year prior to his draft season, and successfully made the move into the midfield. Hopefully Wilson can do the same.

Should get Kipchoge as a Cat B rookie. Might blow up the GPS machines.

You had me at hello 😍

Already on the Wilson train. But now my grin is bigger 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaelen Pavlidis who made the move to GWS is going well from Western Jets playing mid/forward, kicked goal of the week against Essendon a few weeks ago. Do you think he might be a chance for MSD?
Pavlidis started the season off brilliantly, has had a few quieter weeks, perhaps an injury not sure?

I think the Giants have 2 lists spots available (Jones and Kennedy both ACL).
The Giants should take one of Edmends,Pavlidis,Ryan or Anderson
Possibly 2.

Pavlidis started the season off brilliantly, has had a few quieter weeks, perhaps an injury not sure?

I think the Giants have 2 lists spots available (Jones and Kennedy both ACL).
The Giants should take one of Edmends,Pavlidis,Ryan or Anderson
Possibly 2.
I guess they’ll most likely draft like for like players to replace Jones/Kennedy, anyway, it sounds like they have a few good ones under their noses.

Wha happened to Caddy? Copped an injury early in the preseason but should be back. Has also grown to 193cm and could continue to grow. Seems to have disappeared from the discussion.

Last edited:
AI (Allen Iverson) is a small but insanely quick, agile and skillful PG, he was one of the best dribblers the NBA has seen, his height was a big advantage for him in a sport dominated by talls & he had alot of confidence and swagger about him.
Wherever he ends up you can never underestimate the ones that have a big chip on their shoulder. Seriously though if he can put on as much pressure as a small forward the way Kozzie Pickett does then I'd love us to get him. I'm also a big believer in that you can't teach heart and this kid has that in spades.

At this stage I'd be happy with Watson or Duursma.

the-wizard.png

The sides will meet at Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Sunday at 11:00am (AEST).
NAMESURNAMEDOBHTSTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
Young Guns
1BeauTedcastle20-03-04177Richmond (VFL)St Mary's
2MitchSzybkowski09-01-04185Frankston (VFL)Beaconsfield
3JoziahNannup01-11-04183Dandenong StingraysDoveton
4TomBower20-08-04180Oakleigh ChargersGlen Waverley Rovers
5PaddyCross14-02-03182Casey Demons (VFL)Nar Nar Goon
6MichaelKiraly09-01-04186Bendigo PioneersMacleod
8RyePenny01-03-04186Calder CannonsGisborne
9ArchieSinnott28-07-04186Geelong FalconsNewtown & Chilwell
10JeddLongmire14-06-04188Collingwood (VFL) / Murray BushrangersBundoora
11NicholasNewton13-05-04187Murray BushrangersLavington