Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we even able to fit Voss on the list. Corbett going LTI list opens it up?
We passed on a spot in the rookie draft (ie our second pick).

We have one regulation spot free on rookie list and a spot open up for LTI for Corbett. Sharp will fill one of these.

For other spot Freo will trial a bunch of players. Two at a time. Obviously Voss will be one of them and then others will have opportunity impress. I’d be guessing a bunch of forwards of varying size to be trialed.

We passed on a spot in the rookie draft (ie our second pick).

We have one regulation spot free on rookie list and a spot open up for LTI for Corbett. Sharp will fill one of these.

For other spot Freo will trial a bunch of players. Two at a time. Obviously Voss will be one of them and then others will have opportunity impress. I’d be guessing a bunch of forwards of varying size to be trialed.
If we don’t fill the Sharp spot straightaway we can trial 3 at a time, Sharp +1 for the existing spot and 2 for the Corbett spot.

I’m nervous we will now trade for Logan mcdonald and have to pay an eye watering price, purely because we have the picks in hand. Sydney will ask for the 3 first rounders. Kinnear beatson is a pain to deal with gives nothing handy.
We will need a damn strong negotiator not to fold to ambit claims if that does happen
We can say no ! Just saying ;) Not worth close to 3 1sts on exposed form.

Even Uncontracted and maybe kicks 40, 3 x firsts is extreme. You'd be wanting some change back in the form of a second and a third

Belly would typically pay that though - we have a history of paying full price for Uncontracted. Good things he's been moved aside

aa648398eb34693f6715e6e80716e6cf.jpg

We essentially have 4 picks inside 30-35 (depending on those **** academy's and a few father sons already identified)

If McDonald comes on and the club wants him, 2 x firsts max. I still feel we need another quality small forward and half back / wing types

This is the hand eagles need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone fill me in on Sharp? I had him in my dream team a couple of years ago and he was pretty good IIRC. Understand he wanted a trade to Freo end of 2022 but then stayed on GC's list for 2023. Why didn't he play last year?

Can someone fill me in on Sharp? I had him in my dream team a couple of years ago and he was pretty good IIRC. Understand he wanted a trade to Freo end of 2022 but then stayed on GC's list for 2023. Why didn't he play last year?
Theory is Suns didn't play him because he was going to leave. They played someone else. I don't follow them, but I don't think Sharp was a lock in their 22.

Behind the scenes we may have been in a similar situation with both Henry and Lobb, but we played them.

Even Uncontracted and maybe kicks 40, 3 x firsts is extreme. You'd be wanting some change back in the form of a second and a third

Belly would typically pay that though - we have a history of paying full price for Uncontracted. Good things he's been moved aside

aa648398eb34693f6715e6e80716e6cf.jpg

We essentially have 4 picks inside 30-35 (depending on those **** academy's and a few father sons already identified)

If McDonald comes on and the club wants him, 2 x firsts max. I still feel we need another quality small forward and half back / wing types

This is the hand eagles need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thought someone on here (Taylor?) said we had to keep one of the firsts to meet the current rules?

thought someone on here (Taylor?) said we had to keep one of the firsts to meet the current rules?

Wasn't me.

We last used first round picks in 2021, two of them. 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 has us covered because of that.

We can trade our future first next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theory is Suns didn't play him because he was going to leave. They played someone else. I don't follow them, but I don't think Sharp was a lock in their 22.

Behind the scenes we may have been in a similar situation with both Henry and Lobb, but we played them.
Stuart Dew desperately battling to save his job all year under immense personal pressure but had a player at his disposal he wouldn’t play because he was leaving at the end of the season anyway?
Nah, not buying that.
Far far more likely is that the players selected ahead of him at the Suns were just better players.

Stuart Dew desperately battling to save his job all year under immense personal pressure but had a player at his disposal he wouldn’t play because he was leaving at the end of the season anyway?
Nah, not buying that.
Far far more likely is that the players selected ahead of him at the Suns were just better players.
Considering the players they have access to, I would be surprised if the didn't. Doesn't actually mean he isn't Afl standard though. He has another opportunity to show if he is or isn't. Two years on the rookie list isn't a big sacrifice by us.

Nah, not buying that.
Weller, Flanders and Ellis were their preferred wings in 2023, although some of them missed quite a few games, not sure if Fiorini slotted in for a few games, I don’t watch many suns games, but they are stacked for midfield talent and 1st round picks in that area, so it could have just been they didn’t think he was up to other players level.

Nah, not buying that.
Yeah, fair enough.

We already knew that about sharp, he wanted to come last year too
Yep- the question is how much did that play a part in him not getting a game. I’m willing to admit it did play some part but at the end of the day he fringe/borderline and rhe two reasons combined saw consigned to VFL all year.

two reasons combined saw consigned to VFL all year.
Basically this ye,

at the end of the day GC would have had remorse on not selling last year, in fact, their interviews post trade period last year indicated they had this almost immediately, probably would have got the deal done earlier if they knew we were too busy to be coming back to the table.

Gold Coast are a bit unique I guess. 11 top ten picks on the list right now. It’s absolutely ****ed really.
A pick 27 (Sharp) to them is just a nothing pick, an afterthought.

We are here salivating over our picks 35, 41 and 60.
Different planet entirely.
I’m happy with the 2 year rookie deal for sharp on minimum chips. He gets a fair chance here to show it he’s up to it without is committing too much to him.
If he has a really good season next year and plays most games he will get a deserved extension at the end of his first year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back