Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than many teams I've seen posted here in this thread.

Also, according to their new player ratings, which measures output based on their field position benchmarked against the competition, these are the top 10:

1 Sinclair
2 Butters
3 Houston
4 Bontempelli
5 Walker
6 Curnow
7 Blakey
8 Daicos
9 Dusty
10 Liberatore

Which confirms what I said before, Houston is the most underrated player in the competition.

Taranto may be in the top half dozen in Brownlow voting at the halfway point of the season, but does anyone think he finishes ahead of:
Bont
Petracca
Daicos
Butters
Gulden
Neale

He's miles behind all of them.

Sportsbet have him 6th favourite

So I think it is reasonable to assume that your basic premise is erroneous

I mean it is their business to know these things, their viability as an ongoing concern depends on it sort of a thing .

But you should back yourself in with your famous ratings and see how you go 👍

Also, according to their new player ratings, which measures output based on their field position benchmarked against the competition, these are the top 10:

1 Sinclair
2 Butters
3 Houston
4 Bontempelli
5 Walker
6 Curnow
7 Blakey
8 Daicos
9 Dusty
10 Liberatore

Which confirms what I said before, Houston is the most underrated player in the competition.

Which confirms Champion Data is a giant crock of shite you mean?

If Dusty does make the team I would not be surprised to see him named captain.

It would be his 5th AA team, equal most with some others likely to get named (Bontempelli and Stewart), but from his 8th AA squad, which I think is the most of anyone in the squad this year. He’d also be the most experienced player in the team, and the most decorated.

He’s not seen as a leader, and has never lead the Tigers. The AA selectors however do pull some unexpected captaincy selections. Think Rance, Buddy and Hawkins.

1 Sinclair
2 Butters
3 Houston
4 Bontempelli
5 Walker
6 Curnow
7 Blakey
8 Daicos
9 Dusty
10 Liberatore

lol Champion Data

Something I genuinely don't understand is why we as fans do not have access to the more advanced stats Champion Data have. I mean isn't Champion Data owned by the AFL? Why not give us fans the stats that are really important rather than the most basic stats that often tell us nothing?

I imagine a main reason would be that allowing that kind of insight would allow a lot of scrutiny on CD's stat capturing practices.

I love switta but AA fwd pocket for a 17 goal season is absurd.
Hoyne needs to recalibrate his data metrics and shut the window before all his credibility has blown away

He said Switkowsky was the number one pressure forward in the competition, based on pressure rating. He also was one of the best users based on the expected kick rating. He said, he was up there for sticking the most tackles, and the highest in the forward tackles. Not just attempted tackles.

I was livid when Hawthorn didn't draft him. We REALLY need a player like him, it's our weakest part of the ground.

He said Switkowsky was the number one pressure forward in the competition, based on pressure rating. He also was one of the best users based on the expected kick rating. He said, he was up there for sticking the most tackles, and the highest in the forward tackles. Not just attempted tackles.

I was livid when Hawthorn didn't draft him. We REALLY need a player like him, it's our weakest part of the ground.
Don’t get me wrong I rate him highly at my club but a 17goal fwd shouldn’t be near an AA team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget Jeremy Finlayson the ELITE KPF of the competition in 2022 according to old mate Hoynetard

interesting stat line, while i’m glad that zach merrett is ranked as number 1, it’s fascinating that no player listed has a similar retention rating.

i think it highlights just how good some players have been this season. i had no doubt that jordan dawson was going to be selected, it’s fascinating that he had the highest “threat rating” in the competition (defined as if the disposal results in a goal at some stage in the chain). the other 3 interesting data points are harry sheezel, nasiah wanganeen-milera & karl amon all ranking in this considering only maybe sheezel has a consideration in aa (at some stage)

man i love stats like this

My All-Australian Team made up of guys NOT in the AA squad. This team would beat whatever AA team is mentioned tomorrow and by some margin. It has a much better defence (stronger bodies also) and a more dangerous forward line, especially at ground level. The midfield could easily breakeven with Oliver, Laird, A.Brayshaw, Cerra, etc.

FB: Maynard May B.Dale

HB: Docherty S.Taylor Lever

C: N.Martin Oliver S.Walsh

HF: S.Bolton J.Cameron Rankine

FF: B.Fritsch T.Hawkins J.Elliott

Foll: Gawn, Cerra, Laird

Int: P.Dangerfield, N.Newman, Andrew Brayshaw, J.Howe.

Walsh ? Surely McCluggage would be in on the Wing

Mines very similar. Same captain too.

Tom Stewart, Wilkie, Sicily
N.Daicos, Moore, Sinclair
Gulden, Libba, J.Daicos
Trac, Tex, Toby Greene ( C)
Langford, Curnow, Bruest
English, Bont, Butters
Serong, Dawson, Viney, Ryan
so not one player from the team that finished 2nd on the ladder who is 2nd favourite for the GF interesting
Celebrate Stir Crazy GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

also Wilkie are you serious

1 Sinclair
2 Butters
3 Houston
4 Bontempelli
5 Walker
6 Curnow
7 Blakey
8 Daicos
9 Dusty
10 Liberatore

Yeah, because if I could pick anyone in the competition to have at Collingwood, it would be Jack Sinclair (who has been rated the #1 player in the competition for two consecutive seasons)...

interesting stat line, while i’m glad that zach merrett is ranked as number 1, it’s fascinating that no player listed has a similar retention rating.

i think it highlights just how good some players have been this season. i had no doubt that jordan dawson was going to be selected, it’s fascinating that he had the highest “threat rating” in the competition (defined as if the disposal results in a goal at some stage in the chain). the other 3 interesting data points are harry sheezel, nasiah wanganeen-milera & karl amon all ranking in this considering only maybe sheezel has a consideration in aa (at some stage)

man i love stats like this

If the 'retention rating' is the measure upon which players are ranked, wouldn't it be a concern for the algorithm that one player can be perceived to be THAT much better than every other player in the competition?

Is it also a concern that the algorithm has 18 backmen in the best 28 kicks in the competition?

Finally, if none of Nick Daicos, Errol Gulden and Charlie Curnow are in the best 28 field kicks in the competition, the algorithm is broken.

Last edited:
If the 'retention rating' is the measure upon which players are ranked, wouldn't it be a concern for the algorithm that one player can be perceived to be THAT much better than every other player in the competition?

A blanket "retention" rating for kicks is meaningless if you don't also factor the type of kick/position on field/direction of kick.

My guess is Charlie Curnow's retention rating is pretty poor but he attempts kicks not many others would. I haven't seen a whole lot of Zach Merrett but to be that much of an outlier would suggest to me that a lot of his kicks are short, maintain possession type disposals (which is probably reflected in the low threat rating).

A player I know well - Mason Wood - is a beautiful kick but his retention rating is 0.05 but that is more a reflection that the majority of his kicks are 40m plus and into the scoring zone.

A blanket "retention" rating for kicks is meaningless if you don't also factor the type of kick/position on field/direction of kick.

My guess is Charlie Curnow's retention rating is pretty poor but he attempts kicks not many others would. I haven't seen a whole lot of Zach Merrett but to be that much of an outlier would suggest to me that a lot of his kicks are short, maintain possession type disposals (which is probably reflected in the low threat rating).

A player I know well - Mason Wood - is a beautiful kick but his retention rating is 0.05 but that is more a reflection that the majority of his kicks are 40m plus and into the scoring zone.
I heard Daniel Hoyne on SEN discuss how they measure kicking effectiveness at Champion Data, and they do not use the basis 'kicking efficiency' measure.

He said they assess the difficulty of the kick taken when measuring kicking effectiveness, which makes it even more confusing as to why the three aforementioned players are outside the best 28 players in the competition according to the algorithm used.

I heard Daniel Hoyne on SEN discuss how they measure kicking effectiveness at Champion Data, and they do not use the basis 'kicking efficiency' measure.

He said they assess the difficulty of the kick taken when measuring kicking effectiveness, which makes it even more confusing as to why the three aforementioned players are outside the best 28 players in the competition according to the algorithm used.

Sure but I am talking about retention, not efficiency. Retention only factors in does the ball stay in teams possession, not how damaging or difficult the kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back