Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

If the 'retention rating' is the measure upon which players are ranked, wouldn't it be a concern for the algorithm that one player can be perceived to be THAT much better than every other player in the competition?

Is it also a concern that the algorithm has 18 backmen in the best 28 kicks in the competition?

Finally, if none of Nick Daicos, Errol Gulden and Charlie Curnow are in the best 28 field kicks in the competition, the algorithm is broken.
It isn't:

They use kick difficulty and a whole lot of other things as well.

'threat rating' if based on likelihood of ending up in a score later in the chain sounds very flawed to me if comparing all types of players.

Just checked - he won 1 in a grand final year. I thought a couple of them came before it.
He might be a s**t stain but he is as qualified as most to have a view on the game

The only three on the panel I value the opinion of in footy in any way are him, Buckley, and Pavlich.

Of course it helps when some aren't even ex-footballers.

It's a fair point. Taranto still gets potted for his disposal (and at times it's accurate), but Gulden is universally praised.

Going by that stat there they aren't that far apart at all.
There's a fair difference between the kicking efficiency of Taranto and Gulden (c43% to c58%). (And yes, I know the limitations of that measure but it's the easiest one for me to access and it serves at least a proxy for something meaningful.)

Their disposal efficiencies are closer because of the mix between kicking and handballing. Most players' handball efficiency will be much higher than their kicking efficiency. Taranto's disposals are close to 50/50 kicks and handballs, while Gulden's are close to 70/30.

Gulden's aura as a great field kick is based on his very best kicks. He pulls out kicks that only a handful of other players in the competition could pull off, and he does it regularly. But he also kicks a lot under pressure, and is as prone to hack kicks that are turned over as much as any other player who plays a lot in traffic. He sometimes tries kicks that are ultra risky and don't come off. He's as prone as any midfielder who regularly finds themself in defence to that under-pressure hack kick that lands on the chest of an opponent on the 50m line or just outside. And as the number one player this season for delivering the ball inside 50, some of the success of his kicks is dependent on team mates competing with their defenders or leading to the right spot.

He's a joy to watch, but there is scope for him to reduce his dud kicks, as there is for any midfielder who finds so much of the ball.

On Taranto, I am flabbergasted that he's not even in the AA squad. He'd be borderline for my team, though his 19 goals is a point of difference compared to the likes of Green, Neale, Serong, Liberatore, Merrett, Newcombe. It's always hard to distinguish between the handful of midfielders who've all had very good seasons.

It's a fair point. Taranto still gets potted for his disposal (and at times it's accurate), but Gulden is universally praised.

Going by that stat there they aren't that far apart at all.
Which is why the 'effective disposal' stat is flawed.

If you think Taranto and Acres are equally 'effective' with their stats as Gulden, Pendlebury and Duncan, then you can't be watching too many games of football.

There's a fair difference between the kicking efficiency of Taranto and Gulden (c43% to c58%). (And yes, I know the limitations of that measure but it's the easiest one for me to access and it serves at least a proxy for something meaningful.

Their disposal efficiencies are closer because of the mix between kicking and handballing. Most players' handball efficiency will be much higher than their kicking efficiency. Taranto's disposals are close to 50/50 kicks and handballs, while Gulden's are close to 70/30.

Gulden's aura as a great field kick is based on his very best kicks. He pulls out kicks that only a handful of other players in the competition could pulls off, and he does it regularly. But he also kicks a lot under pressure, and is as prone to hack kicks that are turned over as much as any other player who plays a lot in traffic. He sometimes tries kicks that are ultra risky and don't come off. He's as prone as any midfielder who regularly finds themself in defence to that under-pressure hack kick that lands on the chest of an opponent on the 50m line or just outside. And as the number one player this season for delivering the ball inside 50, some of the success of his kicks is dependent on team mates competing with their defenders or leading to the right spot.

Good point. Reminds me of Butters with his handpassing. Some don't come off, but the ones that do are amazing.

On Taranto, I really don't get the criticism. He's a good player, at times very very good, and he's had a great year. In reality it's everything to do with the jumper he wears and nothing to do with the player himself.

Worst AA squad in years. And that's coming from someone who a month ago knew that basically no Cats were getting in bar Stewart.

There's some I'm happy for, but geez there's some that are actual 'wtf' inclusions - at the expense of some absolute 'wtf' omissions.

Tim Taranto will be Top 3 in the Brownlow halfway through the year...yet Cripps gets in?

Nic Martin was one of the best wingmen in the comp for a lot of the year...yet from his own team Redman gets in who did sweet FA in the second half of the year?

De Goey starts the year on fire, misses matches throughout, and then has a pretty tame finish to the year, and he gets in...while someone like Tim Kelly who performed amazingly in a wooden spoon side all year, doesn't get a look in?

Joe Daniher, seriously? Jeremy Cameron kicked 2 more goals than him whilst playing 3 less games and being injured the second half of the year. He was the best player in the comp along with Daicos for the first half of the year, and Joe Daniher gets in over him? That's just f*cking bizarre. Neither deserved it, but Daniher wasn't even close this year.

Absolute 'hype' year for mine, and so many undeserved inclusions at the expense of so many undeserved omissions. Hopefully the actual 22 is not filled with these idiots.

Worst AA squad in years. And that's coming from someone who a month ago knew that basically no Cats were getting in bar Stewart.

There's some I'm happy for, but geez there's some that are actual 'wtf' inclusions - at the expense of some absolute 'wtf' omissions.

Tim Taranto will be Top 3 in the Brownlow halfway through the year...yet Cripps gets in?

Nic Martin was one of the best wingmen in the comp for a lot of the year...yet from his own team Redman gets in who did sweet FA in the second half of the year?

De Goey starts the year on fire, misses matches throughout, and then has a pretty tame finish to the year, and he gets in...while someone like Tim Kelly who performed amazingly in a wooden spoon side all year, doesn't get a look in?

Joe Daniher, seriously? Jeremy Cameron kicked 2 more goals than him whilst playing 3 less games and being injured the second half of the year. He was the best player in the comp along with Daicos for the first half of the year, and Joe Daniher gets in over him? That's just f*cking bizarre. Neither deserved it, but Daniher wasn't even close this year.

Absolute 'hype' year for mine, and so many undeserved inclusions at the expense of so many undeserved omissions. Hopefully the actual 22 is not filled with these idiots.
Martin's form seriously dropped after the bye. Was absolutely the right call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when you thought Newman was a AA lock? I'll take his opinion over yours every single day of the week.
So if I understand this correctly, CD bloke thinks players who don't even make the squad should be in the team = genius. Person on BF who thinks the same = goober. Correct?

So if I understand this correctly, CD bloke thinks players who don't even make the squad should be in the team = genius. Person on BF who thinks the same = goober. Correct?

That's not what I said, but if that's what you think, go ahead and think that.

I recon Daniher is in as a backup ruck/fwd like Jackson. All the other key forwards don't ruck since they are their teams No. 1 target.

They seem to like to pick an actual team and will need to have someone who can chop out in the ruck or pick them on the bench. Cameron doesn't ruck and was behind the other 3/4 key forwards this year.

Hawkins has been both for Geelong recently so any easy out. It will be interesting who they end up with this year.

So what are you saying?

I said, what I said in my posts, I don't need to repeat them. You can extrapolate whatever you like from them but I didn't say Hoyne was a genius, or that someone on Bigfooty was a goober. See how easy it is to respond contextually to what someone actually posted?

I said, what I said in my posts, I don't need to repeat them. You can extrapolate whatever you like from them but I didn't say Hoyne was a genius, or that someone on Bigfooty was a goober. See how easy it is to respond contextually to what someone actually posted?
But you inferred that the other poster has no credibility because they thought Newman should be in the AA team, even though he didn't end up making the squad. What does it mean in Hoyne's case?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back