Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I recon Daniher is in as a backup ruck/fwd like Jackson. All the other key forwards don't ruck since they are their teams No. 1 target.

They seem to like to pick an actual team and will need to have someone who can chop out in the ruck or pick them on the bench. Cameron doesn't ruck and was behind the other 3/4 key forwards this year.

Hawkins has been both for Geelong recently so any easy out. It will be interesting who they end up with this year.
If Hawkins didn’t get injured he would have been a real chance.
50 goals
most marks inside 50
Another great year by the big champ.

If the 'retention rating' is the measure upon which players are ranked, wouldn't it be a concern for the algorithm that one player can be perceived to be THAT much better than every other player in the competition?

Is it also a concern that the algorithm has 18 backmen in the best 28 kicks in the competition?

Finally, if none of Nick Daicos, Errol Gulden and Charlie Curnow are in the best 28 field kicks in the competition, the algorithm is broken.
I do agree with the first point, and honestly I’m not too certain as to how the data has been sorted but if you’re able to look through the thread itself (if you don’t have a twitter account don’t worry) he does post other teams & the Zach Merrett stat isn’t as much as an outlier compared with predominantly forward playing players (Charlie Cameron, Cam Mackenzie (hawks), Tom Hawkins and Michael Walters all have higher retention rates). I think some of the data is fairly flawed though because it similarly identified Sam Weideman has having high retention rate which highlights why it should be taken with a grain of salt, he wasn’t that inspired when he played this year.

I imagine with 2/3 of those players they’ll make more kicks than other players throughout games, so overall the averages will be harder to increase, and since Curnow is at the end of a lot of Carlton chains he’ll often likely end up either converting a goal or missing,
A blanket "retention" rating for kicks is meaningless if you don't also factor the type of kick/position on field/direction of kick.

My guess is Charlie Curnow's retention rating is pretty poor but he attempts kicks not many others would. I haven't seen a whole lot of Zach Merrett but to be that much of an outlier would suggest to me that a lot of his kicks are short, maintain possession type disposals (which is probably reflected in the low threat rating).

A player I know well - Mason Wood - is a beautiful kick but his retention rating is 0.05 but that is more a reflection that the majority of his kicks are 40m plus and into the scoring zone.

Here’s the one for Merrett specifically, I’m not sure about other players but there’s a lot to be said about making difficult kicks. I’ve watched a lot (even our shockers) and he’ll take risks trying to move the ball fast and hits targets no one else in our team generally would. While I think he’s likely to miss the team given how shit everyone at essendon finished the year, it’s a reminder that he’s our best player

Good point. Reminds me of Butters with his handpassing. Some don't come off, but the ones that do are amazing.

On Taranto, I really don't get the criticism. He's a good player, at times very very good, and he's had a great year. In reality it's everything to do with the jumper he wears and nothing to do with the player himself.

at last, the truth

The 2023 fan-voted AFL All-Australian team

FB: Tom Stewart, Harris Andrews, Dan Houston
HB: Nick Daicos, Darcy Moore, James Sicily
C: Josh Daicos, Jordan Dawson, Errol Gulden
HF: Christian Petracca, Taylor Walker, Toby Greene
FF: Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Nick Larkey
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Zak Butters
I/C: Connor Rozee, Jack Sinclair, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Neale

10 reporters on AFL.COM.AU picked their AA teams, and selected 39 of the 44 players!

10 players were unanimous selections - Moore, N. Daicos, Sicily, Petracca, Walker, Greene, Curnow, Bont, Gulden and Butters.

Hard to think the competition's best player Jack Sinclair wouldn't also be a lock, so can we say 11 locks?

The 2023 fan-voted AFL All-Australian team

FB: Tom Stewart, Harris Andrews, Dan Houston
HB: Nick Daicos, Darcy Moore, James Sicily
C: Josh Daicos, Jordan Dawson, Errol Gulden
HF: Christian Petracca, Taylor Walker, Toby Greene
FF: Charlie Cameron, Charlie Curnow, Nick Larkey
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Zak Butters
I/C: Connor Rozee, Jack Sinclair, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Neale
I really wouldn't be disappointed with that line up.

It is the last bench spot that I find debatable.

Neale, along with another 3 or 4 I could see taking that spot.

Yeh I would nitpick and have sinclair on field over houston. And wouldn't be surprised if Marshall makes it in

i'd take langford/merrett over neale but i'm very biased

10 reporters on AFL.COM.AU picked their AA teams, and selected 39 of the 44 players!

10 players were unanimous selections - Moore, N. Daicos, Sicily, Petracca, Walker, Greene, Curnow, Bont, Gulden and Butters.

Hard to think the competition's best player Jack Sinclair wouldn't also be a lock, so can we say 11 locks?

Why are you referring to him as the competition's best player?

i like the abc's team a lot. they explain all their picks well

for those too lazy to click

B: Sinclair - Moore - Sicily
HB: Blakey - Wilkie - N Daicos
C: Gulden - Liberatore - Dawson
HF: Petracca - Walker - Daniher
F: Cameron - Curnow - Greene
R: Marshall - Bontempelli - Butters
IC: Serong - Neale - Rozee - Coniglio

Gulden is 61. Was talked about as the best kick in the AFL this year.

In defence of Gulden, a big chunk of his "ineffective" kicks are him taking ambitious options that don't always come off but are magnificent when they do, and we'll worth the risk. In particular, kicking to a dangerous spot that our cobbled-together forwardline haven't read properly. The number of times I've seen a beautiful, dangerous inside 50 to space that the intended target has simply not read, or two forwards have left for each other, is insane. It's been one of the most frustrating things to watch about us this year, even more than our final quarter fades. Gulden is not our only victim of this, but he's been the most prominent.

Give our forwardline some more time to gel properly and Gulden's effective possessions will climb alongside his already-high score involvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Caleb Serong is also strong on the inside but generally operates a little more in uncontested situations."

Are we watching the same Caleb Serong?? A top 5 contested player in the league.

On the STK contingent..

Sinclair - He's known after his stellar season last year, being rated by champion data for a long time and being a strong supercoach player which appeals to the masses. Form this year is strong.

Wilkie - As good a defender as any STK player we have had over the years and we have had a number of AA defenders. Never misses a beat. Super dependable. Lovely decision making and disposal. Should be captain next year.

Marshall - He's got better as the season has progressed and his recent form is back to somewhere like the best version of himself yet over the course of the year i could and would not have him over English. Would not even contemplate it. English has had the better year.

It's so nice to see Blakey getting recognition. I was doubtful he'd even get in the squad, though he fully deserves it. His defensive game has come on in leaps and bounds, for a while he was basically holding our key defensive stocks together despite never having played the role before and being well under weight.

I'm not expecting him to get into final team because his year has to a large extent been a sacrificial one, and that doesn't usually get recognised. But I've been pleasantly surprised by how little controversy there's been over his squad inclusion, and that a few pundits are even selecting him for the 22.

inB4

an-angry-mob.png

So up to the last 2 rounds of the season when you look at the top 20 of the afl coaches association player of the year , the only player that did not make the all Australian squad of 44 players is Tim Taranto

Kane cornes should resign

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back