Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Borderline but the more I watch Lual I am impressed with his poise and the way he hit's targets even under pressure. Seems to have time and I also like he had time in the middle later in the year. Also, a tough bugger and I like that

As always it's based on just watching and not the personality which is a massive part of picking a player

I would be happy with either
Fair enough, I just see Lual as another limited junior half back whereas I can see huge scope for improvement with Jiath given his lack of exposure and athletic profile. Also has good defensive habits already.

Fair enough, I just see Lual as another limited junior half back whereas I can see huge scope for improvement with Jiath given his lack of exposure and athletic profile. Also has good defensive habits already.

I've flipped between the two. IMO both add what we need but I am looking from the outside.

This is the point where the "interviews" are vital. What they have inside, the quality of the individual, will mean a lot and I have no idea where they sit in this regards

Love to know our thinking. We have Moir who is another mid sized forward. Do we go another?

If Edwards is available do we take a developing ruck or so we go some more run? Simpson?

Archer Ried is available? Lual is one I like

Key could be if we have a mature "role" player in mind as a rookie.

The question I would like to ask Austin is why did we only go with two picks? Given the eveness, and that we have the Campo kids next year should we have looked at another pick in the 20s by trading our F1? Did we put all our eggs in one basket trying to get a Top 10 pick?

We signed a few players on one year deals this year that are injury prone and/or are role players. Would another kid been better especially if we could have added a developing tall.

First of all, thanks to all you people who have knowledge of the u/18's and provide your thoughts. Most of us only learn about them from reading on here.

I understand the 2 years versus one with picking a rookie, but if we wanted another kid who we rated, why wouldn't we take him with our third pick tonight? If we wait to rookie him, surely we run a greater risk of someone else pinching him?

The fact that we (Austin) have said we are after depth and we seem to have committed to picking in the rookie draft, suggests to me that the bolded above is a given? Mature player who is ready to go if required, and one whom we are confident is not on any other club's radar.

First of all, thanks to all you people who have knowledge of the u/18's and provide your thoughts. Most of us only learn about them from reading on here.

I understand the 2 years versus one with picking a rookie, but if we wanted another kid who we rated, why wouldn't we take him with our third pick tonight? If we wait to rookie him, surely we run a greater risk of someone else pinching him?

The fact that we (Austin) have said we are after depth and we seem to have committed to picking in the rookie draft, suggests to me that the bolded above is a given? Mature player who is ready to go if required, and one whom we are confident is not on any other club's radar.
It is a list management thing. In this case linked to salary cap.

List balance allows for 36 to 38 on main list, club choice. Our model has been to have 36. When we had a vacancy the AFL lists a third pick which we are entitled to, but historically have had maximum six rookies. By taking that third pick to the rookie draft we maintain that model.

When calculating the salary cap, rookies have (from memory) $80k excluded from the cap. Therefore to add a player on main list automatically inflates our salary cap by $80k, which could be critical.

2023 might end up being a strong draft after all.
Looks very hard to speculate 'best available' after the first dozen picks. Trading back a few places with the Fisher deal might end up being a good move.

Next year's draft is the next super draft :D

Hi.Who does Simpson play like. I would like a Luke Shuey type, if there's one.
Personally i think he plays a bit like Adam Treloar, wins his own ball and is equally as damaging on the outsides…
Quick smart carries and creates and runs both ways…
Kicks goals too…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad Saints took Collard we took Moir will be more determined next pick should be Archie Roberts similiar type to replace Sam Dochetry. I probably stay away from Mitch Edwards,Tew Jiath too long of development. Roberts is the guy Ollie Murphy not sure we need another big Defender for a while. Archie Reid i like but we have tall forward. George Stevens might be a choice strongly built also always put in the extra at his club. The last pick i would choose a tackling link speed player Heath Ramshaw or at least have as a Rookie.

We were obviously after Moir believing he would fall to the pick we received which he did, the other pick is practically a free hit even though it cost us Fisher who was surplus to needs anyway.
We got Ramshaw in VFl who could do a Fisher Role who tackles more has got the tools to play AFL and young.

I forgot guys Archie Roberts is a Carlton supporter so will play hard for the jumper Arie Schoenmaker is another Carlton supporter.

Last edited:
So the rumours about us being focussed on Moir are true.

The talent and skill level are obvious. Club obviously believe he has the fire and effort in him

Hope he develops an engine that can play further up the ground. If he can he have a genuine talent
He will make it the concern is the hip that why he slide he didn't have as good of a year compare to 2022.

Love that we picked up Moir!
Imo he looks to move/play a little like juh from the dogs.

I’m really hoping we get Simpson with our next pick. Need some speed and burst now.
I thought the same thing. A mate asked me to describe him and the best i could say is he 'looks' like a 188cm JUH

It is a list management thing. In this case linked to salary cap.

List balance allows for 36 to 38 on main list, club choice. Our model has been to have 36. When we had a vacancy the AFL lists a third pick which we are entitled to, but historically have had maximum six rookies. By taking that third pick to the rookie draft we maintain that model.

When calculating the salary cap, rookies have (from memory) $80k excluded from the cap. Therefore to add a player on main list automatically inflates our salary cap by $80k, which could be critical.

Thanks for the explanation.

The model we have used does give us the flexibility to go 37 and 5 though doesn't it? If we really rated a kid at 45-50ish tonight, it would be absurd to not pick them because of $80K wouldn't it? The salary cap wouldn't be that tight given the unknown with injury payments etc.

Reading the tea leaves I think it seems likely we have committed to a mature-ager with that rookie pick. We stated we wanted to improve depth and Hollands and Fantasia do that in the medium/small bracket. Our greatest vulnerability in my eyes is Weitering, Charlie or Harry going down. We need a Scott Howell, Mario Bortolotto type - not best 22, but capable of doing a job at the pointy end if needed. Nigel is too injury prone and Young has dropped off dramatically (Nigel in the 26 man final's squad ahead of him).

Frampton was statistically useless for Collingwood in the GF, but structurally very important. I have no idea who the player might be, but if I was punting, I would be looking to put money on that type. .

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back