Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

CT has 3 GC academy kids plus Croft and McCabe ranked before our first pick. Which would send our picks back to 27 and 30. Archer Reid and Taylor Goad in his list - not that we're likely to take either, not high on our needs.

Matters little, as most clubs don't really have access to academy, f/s

More about ranking eligible players

Now Elijah is on board, can I ask what makes so many on here want small to medium forwards with one both of our picks? Genuine question as I think our depth is now pretty good in that area as we saw around the finals.
Corey Durdin has genuine speed, smarts and mongrel. I see him as a vital piece if he can get some continuity after two injury punctuated seasons.

Jesse Motlop has great potential and great goal sense. I believe he has the potential to become our x-factor small. He does, however have to get some consistency. Hopefully another preseason after a taste of success will convince the boy to do the work and have the focus to take that step.

Matt Owies is a heart and soul player who has turned himself into a valuable and mostly consistent contributor. His disposal remains an issue, very much suggesting he can be upgraded.

Fogarty, I was enamoured by before he was drafted. The ultimate contributor. Tackling machine and a very effective link player. Is not really a goal kicker and has limited disposal. Can be a piece as he is also capable in the midfield.

David Cuningham remains a potential star, but is running out of time. He is a much lower possession player than he should be. This year will be make or break.

Jack Martin is an enigma. He makes the side better, but unlikely he will ever attain his monumental potential. A hybrid who is a genuine threat in the air, he tackles and hits with venom and undoubtedly makes us a better functioning team. It remains to be seem if he can stay on the park for longer periods going forward.

Elijah Hollands can be an absolute star of the game and as such threatens to complete our forward line, as well as adding layers to our midfield. I would suggest for the next couple of seasons he complements Martin as our medium forward version of the “strike player” as anointed by the press of late.

By my calculations Martin has between 1 and 3 seasons ahead of him, four at the most, due to soft tissue injuries never completely going away.

Cuningham needs to step up and play consistent footy. EH is going to make it much harder for him to hold a spot in the top team. His tackling pressure is decent, but not to the levels of Owies or Fog. DC has always had excellent potential, but may struggle to hold a spot with our mix.

For your question, I see a long term spot for a third small forward dynamo. I am pretty sure they would want either a pacy manic type (O’Driscoll), a proven smart player with the skill set to impact all round as a modern forward (Gothard, maybe Sanchez, although he is as much mid). Plenty here are enamoured with the Collard or perhaps Delean x-factor types who are less consistent and less team oriented somewhat loose canons, who I doubt will be on our radar.

I like Martin, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham and all could go to new levels as the structures consolidate, but if Elijah, Durdin and Motlop fire, another kid with quality disposal, goal smarts and defensive instincts could be just what we ordered.
There are a few options around our picks.

I would use the other high pick for a KPD or an outside or balanced midfield runner. We will either have a late pick or a rookie pick if we elevate a second rookie from the current list. I would be somewhat happy if we went for a KPD with one of our early picks and a mid depth or developing with the late or rookie spot or vice versa with a more speculative KPD (hidden gem) later in proceedings.
There are a variety of options around our picks.

Last edited:

Our medium/small forwards:

Motlop: A wonderful talent. Clearly our best small forward long term. Will be a gun once he puts all the pieces together.

Jack Martin: He's a slightly undersized third tall marking forward. Not much of a crummer but can do it. Mediocre set shot. Can kick it beautifully but on off days misses everything. Hard as nails. Not especially quick but tackles hard.

Jack Silvagni: Now here's the problem, he's exactly the same as Martin. Except he's taller, a better field kick and can play in the ruck. He's not as dangerous forward as Martin or as agile when the ball hits the deck, but can occasionally provide a lead up target on the wing.

Matt Owies: Here's another problem, he's exactly the same as Martin. Except he's shorter, a worse field kick but a better set shot. He's a small playing as a lead up third tall forward target.

We can't play 5 players forward who are leading, mark, goal forwards. I haven't even mentioned Tom.

Corey Durdin: fastest of our small forwards. He's the most agile with the possible exception of Motlop. Has the most mid potential other than Jack. Doesn't work hard enough defensively, doesn't put himself in the right crumbing positions. He's exactly what he was when he was drafted. A mid who tried to turn himself into a small forward when someone pointed out to him that he had zero chance of getting drafted as a midfielder. He's still learning a new trade that he only started halfway through his draft year.

Fogerty: like Durdin he's a mid who wasn't good enough to play midfield in the AFL. Unlike Durdin he's a hard worker and a smart player. Not a great mark, an okay user of the ball. Not as agile as many other but footy smarts often make up for that shortfall. Has learnt some crumbing skills but seemed to lose that as the pressure of finals footy approached... But maybe he was just tired after coming off such a serious run of injuries. Works very hard defensively.

Cuningham: pretty much identical to Fogerty but a better user by foot but not as foot smart. Doesn't crumb as much. He was thrown around quite a lot late in the season as we tried to wedge in other players so showed lots of versatility, but took us away from his strengths which is providing defensive pressure forward and experty kicking the ball inside 50.

Just my opinion.

Matt Owies: Here's another problem, he's exactly the same as Martin. Except he's shorter, a worse field kick but a better set shot. He's a small playing as a lead up third tall forward target.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Would we be willing to take a punt on Arie Shoenmakers with our second pick?

Kid with serious talent. He's Fletcher 2.0

Only thing is the off field issues which I don't know too much about but caused him to get suspended for 10 games this year. When he came back though he put on a show. Cowan had a bit to do with him last year also from what I've read.

Corey Durdin has genuine speed, smarts and mongrel. I see him as a vital piece if he can get some continuity after two injury punctuated seasons.

Jesse Motlop has great potential and great goal sense. I believe he has the potential to become our x-factor small. He does, however have to get some consistency. Hopefully another preseason after a taste of success will convince the boy to do the work and have the focus to take that step.

Matt Owies is a heart and soul player who has turned himself into a valuable and mostly consistent contributor. His disposal remains an issue, very much suggesting he can be upgraded.

Fogarty, I was enamoured by before he was drafted. The ultimate contributor. Tackling machine and a very effective link player. Is not really a goal kicker and has limited disposal. Can be a piece as he is also capable in the midfield.

David Cuningham remains a potential star, but is running out of time. He is a much lower possession player than he should be. This year will be make or break.

Jack Martin is an enigma. He makes the side better, but unlikely he will ever attain his monumental potential. A hybrid who is a genuine threat in the air, he tackles and hits with venom and undoubtedly makes us a better functioning team. It remains to be seem if he can stay on the park for longer periods going forward.

Elijah Hollands can be an absolute star of the game and as such threatens to complete our forward line, as well as adding layers to our midfield. I would suggest for the next couple of seasons he complements Martin as our medium forward version of the “strike player” as anointed by the press of late.

By my calculations Martin has between 1 and 3 seasons ahead of him, four at the most, due to soft tissue injuries never completely going away.

Cuningham needs to step up and play consistent footy. EH is going to make it much harder for him to hold a spot in the top team. His tackling pressure is decent, but not to the levels of Owies or Fog. DC has always had excellent potential, but may struggle to hold a spot with our mix.

For your question, I see a long term spot for a third small forward dynamo. I am pretty sure they would want either a pacy manic type (O’Driscoll), a proven smart player with the skill set to impact all round as a modern forward (Gothard, maybe Sanchez, although he is as much mid). Plenty here are enamoured with the Collard or perhaps Delean x-factor types who are less consistent and less team oriented somewhat loose canons, who I doubt will be on our radar.

I like Martin, Owies, Fogarty and Cuningham and all could go to new levels as the structures consolidate, but if Elijah, Durdin and Motlop fire, another kid with quality disposal, goal smarts and defensive instincts could be just what we ordered.
There are a few options around our picks.

I would use the other high pick for a KPD or an outside or balanced midfield runner. We will either have a late pick or a rookie pick if we elevate a second rookie from the current list. I would be somewhat happy if we went for a KPD with one of our early picks and a mid depth or developing with the late or rookie spot or vice versa with a more speculative KPD (hidden gem) later in proceedings.
There are a variety of options around our picks.
Can’t agree that Durdin is fast. He ran 3.15 over 20metres on n his combine year. That’s pretty slow for a small forward.
He has good sideways zip but he’s not overly quick.

let's forego surnames on draft night and just run with john "kicks well on both feet" brian "as good an intercept mark as there is going round" peter "second and third efforts are elite"..............serious suggestion...........
Ken has vice like hands & unwavering courage….

Now Elijah is on board, can I ask what makes so many on here want small to medium forwards with one both of our picks? Genuine question as I think our depth is now pretty good in that area as we saw around the finals.
There is depth but only Motlop has the potential to be an A grade small forward. Maybe Cunningham if they played him as a pure forward pocket.

Can’t agree that Durdin is fast. He ran 3.15 over 20metres on n his combine year. That’s pretty slow for a small forward.
He has good sideways zip but he’s not overly quick.
He’s definitely got the speed, amongst the rest you have described…
Combine numbers aren’t always the accurate way to the way players play live on the field…

Only thing is the off field issues which I don't know too much about but caused him to get suspended for 10 games this year. When he came back though he put on a show. Cowan had a bit to do with him last year also from what I've read.

Something about getting on the booze, maybe on a footy trip… 10 week sabbatical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our medium/small forwards:

Motlop: A wonderful talent. Clearly our best small forward long term. Will be a gun once he puts all the pieces together.

Jack Martin: He's a slightly undersized third tall marking forward. Not much of a crummer but can do it. Mediocre set shot. Can kick it beautifully but on off days misses everything. Hard as nails. Not especially quick but tackles hard.

Jack Silvagni: Now here's the problem, he's exactly the same as Martin. Except he's taller, a better field kick and can play in the ruck. He's not as dangerous forward as Martin or as agile when the ball hits the deck, but can occasionally provide a lead up target on the wing.

We can't play 5 players forward who are leading, mark, goal forwards. I haven't even mentioned Tom.

Corey Durdin: fastest of our small forwards. He's the most agile with the possible exception of Motlop. Has the most mid potential other than Jack. Doesn't work hard enough defensively, doesn't put himself in the right crumbing positions. He's exactly what he was when he was drafted. A mid who tried to turn himself into a small forward when someone pointed out to him that he had zero chance of getting drafted as a midfielder. He's still learning a new trade that he only started halfway through his draft year.

Fogerty: like Durdin he's a mid who wasn't good enough to play midfield in the AFL. Unlike Durdin he's a hard worker and a smart player. Not a great mark, an okay user of the ball. Not as agile as many other but footy smarts often make up for that shortfall. Has learnt some crumbing skills but seemed to lose that as the pressure of finals footy approached... But maybe he was just tired after coming off such a serious run of injuries. Works very hard defensively.

Cuningham: pretty much identical to Fogerty but a better user by foot but not as foot smart. Doesn't crumb as much. He was thrown around quite a lot late in the season as we tried to wedge in other players so showed lots of versatility, but took us away from his strengths which is providing defensive pressure forward and experty kicking the ball inside 50.

Just my opinion.
I commend you for sharing your opinion, but I don't understand parts of this post. To the extent that I genuinely thought parts of it were being satirical at first.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's just that you keep mentioning that players who are actually very different to each other are "exactly the same" - then proceed to name a bunch of key differences.

And comments like Durdin being exactly what he was when he was drafted, and him not being a hard worker. I don't see any evidence for this.

I'm a bit confused, but could just be me! (often is)

I commend you for sharing your opinion, but I don't understand parts of this post. To the extent that I genuinely thought parts of it were being satirical at first.

Don't take that the wrong way, it's just that you keep mentioning that players who are actually very different to each other are "exactly the same" - then proceed to name a bunch of key differences.

And comments like Durdin being exactly what he was when he was drafted, and him not being a hard worker. I don't see any evidence for this.

I'm a bit confused, but could just be me! (often is)
Clayton Oliver and Patrick Cripps are very similar players with a similar role in their teams. Rather than say "inside beast, wins clearances, poor foot skills, etc etc" twice, you just say that there the same sort of player except for... these key differences.

Our biggest problem as a team imo is that the best 22 players shouldn't play in our 22 at the same side because many of them are similar types. This is particularly an issue in our forward line. A glaring issue and probably the biggest thing we need to fix before next season. How do we make it work?

let's forego surnames on draft night and just run with john "kicks well on both feet" brian "as good an intercept mark as there is going round" peter "second and third efforts are elite"..............serious suggestion...........
Great suggestion "pithy yet curmudgeonly Thylacine"

I think a good exercise re our small/med fwds and whether we should be targeting them in this years draft is to ask ourselves how many of ours would get a game at the two grand final teams this season, Collingwood and Brisbane?

I'd argue only Martin and even he'd be a 50/50 call.

Give us Geelong's group of Miers, Close, Stengle and Rohan and I'd be extremely confident in us taking the flag in 24. With our current mix though I think a lot has to go right with the development of Durds and Mots and I don't think either are certainties to make it.
I think theres considerably higher quality options in those roles in this draft, some we may just have to shift up a bit to get to.

Next years draft is fairly midfield heavy but theres a number of OOC options via trade who could fill that void too. Interested to see what Austin does.

I hope they somehow trade up the order. One young A grader is more useful than two young B graders at this stage.
The problem is, we arguably need to find more than one A grader each year for the next three drafts. What I'd be doing in this draft would be trading our second round pick from next year to try and make a certainty of getting our preferred 'diamonds in the rough'.

Last edited:

huge hoof on him

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back