Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s trying. And then there’s really trying. Carlton are clearly doing the bare minimum. Lots of players not at the required level of fitness to play transition football. McGovern, who was going great guns, was struggling to run by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Lots of Carlton players in self preservation mode. Couple of times in the fourth I thought Acres could have taken some responsibility and gone for goal. Especially when the forwards have been missing everything.

Voss cut a lonely figure sitting on the bench towards the end, I really felt for him. He looked like a kangaroo in the hunters spotlight.

You’d think Paddy Dow will get a run next week with all the injuries they have. If he doesn’t he’s surely gone.

I do enjoy watching Blakey play.

Dimma can take the sun, sand and the afl dollars on top of the GC money or head to princes and deal with that s**t show.

I know what I’d pick.

Gold Coast look like a small nation sitting on top of the worlds largest ore deposit. Some wily operator could walk in there, get a few letterheads printed and align a local workforce and look like a business genius.

Carlton are like some old company full of dead wood and old ideas, their model is Dickensian London era. It's top heavy and selling products that were massively popular in the 1950s and is only big in reputation now. Trying to right the ship looks like it would take some kind of miracle, not just a few good outside operators coming in and putting a coat of paint over the facade. The stage coach era is gone.

Gold Coast look like a small nation sitting on top of the worlds largest ore deposit. Some wily operator could walk in there, get a few letterheads printed and align a local workforce and look like a business genius.

Carlton are like some old company full of dead wood and old ideas, their model is Dickensian London era. It's top heavy and selling products that were massively popular in the 1950s and is only big in reputation now. Trying to right the ship looks like it would take some kind of miracle, not just a few good outside operators coming in and putting a coat of paint over the facade. The stage coach era is gone.
As always, Shakespearean with your summary gringo x.

Sidebar, I watched the blues pretty closely last night and I think I know their issue. It’s cliched and I hate the term but their “identity” and “brand” of football is a complete ****ing mess.

This is a team with a spine of Young, Weitering (McGovern as back up). Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh and DeKoenig. Then add Saad, Docherty, Motlop and a host of others b-c grade guys, they have all the parts to be a top 4 team, that’s just an on paper fact but…

All the guys they have, every single one, wants to be “the man” they all have to have stats and kudos as the main man, not a single one of them is willing to sacrifice their own glory for the sake of playing a role and doing what the team needs and last night watching the evidence was in two players. Blake Acres and Matt Cotrell.

Both guys who should be doing what Mason Wood or Dan McKenzie do for us, run hard defensively, spread to create space and apply pressure when needed. Both of them last night just always wanted to be at the ball chasing glory.

It starts with Voss and what he’s drilling into the team but I think it’s deeper, it’s almost the fabric and culture of that club, it’s been a team of “superstars” and wannabes for a long long time. I’d blame Voss but in reality they are like 4/5 coaches deep with an impressive list and none of them have been able to do it.

Personally hope they never realise and change but even if they do identify it, I have no idea how the rectify it.

Sidebar, I watched the blues pretty closely last night and I think I know their issue. It’s cliched and I hate the term but their “identity” and “brand” of football is a complete ******* mess.

This is a team with a spine of Young, Weitering (McGovern as back up). Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Walsh and DeKoenig. Then add Saad, Docherty, Motlop and a host of others b-c grade guys, they have all the parts to be a top 4 team, that’s just an on paper fact but…

All the guys they have, every single one, wants to be “the man” they all have to have stats and kudos as the main man, not a single one of them is willing to sacrifice their own glory for the sake of playing a role and doing what the team needs and last night watching the evidence was in two players. Blake Acres and Matt Cotrell.

Both guys who should be doing what Mason Wood or Dan McKenzie do for us, run hard defensively, spread to create space and apply pressure when needed. Both of them last night just always wanted to be at the ball chasing glory.

It starts with Voss and what he’s drilling into the team but I think it’s deeper, it’s almost the fabric and culture of that club, it’s been a team of “superstars” and wannabes for a long long time. I’d blame Voss but in reality they are like 4/5 coaches deep with an impressive list and none of them have been able to do it.

Personally hope they never realise and change but even if they do identify it, I have no idea how the rectify it.

They are your classic example of a club that hasn't got their backroom in order. Everything in it's individual parts looks good but the factional warlords are fighting to have control over what they see as their right to run it as a vanity project. If Brian Cook can't fix them, they honestly might as well give up. A huge broom needs to go through the place.

You’d think Paddy Dow will get a run next week with all the injuries they have. If he doesn’t he’s surely gone.
I’m always wary of picking up Carlscum rejects, but considering the abject disfunction at that cesspit, I would not at all be against taking a gander at Dow.

Worked for us with Stocker…

Also, how much would they enjoy being able to pivot to Caminiti right now?

Thanks SOSOS 😂

Sidebar, I watched the blues pretty closely last night and I think I know their issue. It’s cliched and I hate the term but their “identity” and “brand” of football is a complete ******* mess.

They are Russia, a paper tiger, they think they're China with the men and the growth prospects and allure that they can surpass most if pushed, but then they do and they are paper.

It is why the club, that club that is Carlton with all its internal division and one bloke wanting another blokes position so hard he actively sabotages things is so detrimental to anything onfield. It's not a GT v Butts situation where one guy was coked out and the other guy was a megalomaniac and they stared at each other a bit and yelled things situation, it's an active fight still ongoing. They have no literal identity or culture to fall back on.

Out of your list of players, the only one I don't think is any good really is McGovern, you place any of them out of the Blues and they can be competent focal points for that team, McGovern is a bit like Marsh and McKernan just a big body that can run a bit and might show something every now and then but is just not that good really.

But the poblem for mine is that the Blues need to dispose of the rod they removed from their arse instead of trying to beat the bloke next to them with it first before any personnel changes happen. Otherwise, it'll end much the same as now and the last 20 odd years.

There’s trying. And then there’s really trying. Carlton are clearly doing the bare minimum. Lots of players not at the required level of fitness to play transition football. McGovern, who was going great guns, was struggling to run by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Lots of Carlton players in self preservation mode. Couple of times in the fourth I thought Acres could have taken some responsibility and gone for goal. Especially when the forwards have been missing everything.

Voss cut a lonely figure sitting on the bench towards the end, I really felt for him. He looked like a kangaroo in the hunters spotlight.

I do enjoy watching Blakey play.

Blakey is what I always hoped the slippery eel goat acres was going to be.

Solid highlights package on that kid.

People piling in on Voss but really he can’t do a lot for poor set shot kicking during the match.
Carlton won contested ball easily but just couldn’t convert.
Their small forwards are possibly the worst contingent in the league outside of the Eagles.
The blues absolutely bottled that against an injury ravaged oppo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After getting a win by tipping the Swans last night my tipping has returned to form today, tipped the Saints, Dees and the Cats who are losing to GWS.

I would be happy to lose another tip if the Giants can get up over the Cats though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back