Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t speak for them but originally they were obviously looking to speak their truth and it was run by the club.

Much like the Collingwood investigation and Heritier (and a number of their indigenous players) had no interest in the process once the AFL got involved.

I don’t necessarily agree with the way this has been handled but I’m also not sure the idea of silencing victims (or complainants if you prefer) is the way to go either.
I don't understand them not wanting to be part of a process in which the AFL is involved if they went to Hawthorn initially. It seems obvious to me that if you're going to an AFL club then the AFL will be involved. Why couldn't they go independent to begin with?

I don't understand them not wanting to be part of a process in which the AFL is involved if they went to Hawthorn initially. It seems obvious to me that if you're going to an AFL club then the AFL will be involved. Why couldn't they go independent to begin with?
Again, not me, but i can completely understand that if the Hawks started it and we’re doing some interviews asking “we’re there any racially motivated issues that affected your time at the club” might prompt and answer.

When that turns into a larger AFL led probe you might be concerned that it’s not being done in your best interests.

My understanding is Hawthorn went to them, they answered, then the AFL got involved and they didn’t want to be involved anymore. I’m a cis white dude so the cultural implications aren’t things I can relate to but I can completely understand indigenous people might not feel that’s a safe space.

Again, not me, but i can completely understand that if the Hawks started it and we’re doing some interviews asking “we’re there any racially motivated issues that affected your time at the club” might prompt and answer.

When that turns into a larger AFL led probe you might be concerned that it’s not being done in your best interests.

My understanding is Hawthorn went to them, they answered, then the AFL got involved and they didn’t want to be involved anymore. I’m a cis white dude so the cultural implications aren’t things I can relate to but I can completely understand indigenous people might not feel that’s a safe space.
What prompted the Hawks to start it? It's been a while and admittedly I'm not totally across all of it.

If that's the case then you've got to ask yourself why they went ahead with it at all, knowing the AFL were obviously going to be a part of that process.

To me it doesn't really matter that there's been no punishment, the public smearing of reputations is enough damage on it's own. Generally speaking, you can make up any old s**t about someone and those things are hard to shake once enough people have heard about it - true or not.

The commission has to keep up an image of being a beacon for young people to have faith in, so when anything broaches the image of a family friendly organisation, they need to be seen as doing the right thing in those moments, else the shark finally gets jumped and no more "we billion dollar" rights deals get offered.

If you're a victim in that circle you know in your heart of hearts that they will move to protect their own interests first. I saw this first hand when I lodged a complaint with the BFL about an umpire that directly rorted a prelim, complete with video evidence with sound about F this F that, F you mob and a card that had a 0 with many against in aftermath. I was in that room where nothing untoward was found to have happened because we can't have lost faith in the fraternity since it'd all fall apart at the seams if heavy bias was outed instead of just spoken about by all and sundry. You have no idea just how disheartening that is to hear and see until you are in that room seeing those supposed custodians speaking it to your face, how little of a shit they actually give to the game they supposedly love and cherish to hold those positions.

Similarly, local clubs in any event, extremely tribal, there are clicks, there is animosity that is restrained and you sacrifice a lot for those hours you don that jumper. If you are not in on that grouping or find yourself somewhat on the outer, it is a very harsh mistress and you will find no friends and be very isolated because you do not go against that crowd and leave unscathed.

This is why the AFL cannot go independent, for it needs to be seen to be doing something proactive, it cannot sit back and defer to others for those plaudits for the things that occurred under its watch, it is only when its unbound like the Bombers saga where you can defer since it skipped codes, but insular, never. You sweep and you sweep hard.
This is also why the clubs will parrot, they will fight, they will build walls and there will be many against because you do not rock that boat, you do not cause that harm, you do not break those tribal lines, we burn them for you. That's the symbiosis, that's why deny, deny, deny is the play and trust that process because we know it's weeping time and many refuse to see it and it's forgotten in a week regardless as spectacle.

When it then comes out that the AFL rep for that case is charged with fraud, you as the victim, you are vindicated in saying no originally to their pleas, because in your heart you know this is where it was always headed.

Think to yourself just one question; Mainwaring died because of a dug binge born from the Eagles many drug related issues, what do you believe the AFL has done to address this given Chips current predicament, Carlises instance and everything since that time. Would you consider harsh words were taken internally about it and action followed?

That's the AFL system at work in sweeping instead of standing. That's what a life is worth to them as an entity.

Jeff Kennett and Cyril Rioli's fallout, I think
Actually think you might be right.

I would say, Collingwood doing there’s I just assumed all clubs would follow suit, and if you’ve read the Collingwood one, it’s actually quite thought provoking and makes some really considered recommendations and findings (it’s also only like 20 pages long).

I think it’s pretty poor that we haven’t done one, for a club so strong about it’s indigenous programs and connection we really should be doing one to understand our historical issues and looking what we can learn from.

Actually think you might be right.

I would say, Collingwood doing there’s I just assumed all clubs would follow suit, and if you’ve read the Collingwood one, it’s actually quite thought provoking and makes some really considered recommendations and findings (it’s also only like 20 pages long).

I think it’s pretty poor that we haven’t done one, for a club so strong about it’s indigenous programs and connection we really should be doing one to understand our historical issues and looking what we can learn from.
Its really sad that in the end the only people who escaped scrutiny weren't the complainants, the " accused" or the AFL but the Hawthorn Football Club.

They were aware of the issues in 2018 and did nothing until Rioli forced their hand in 2022.

Last edited:
Gotta feel for him.

Paddy McCartin will sit out the remainder of the season as he continues to recover from ongoing concussion symptoms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you know, according to the herald sun, only thing that really came out of it is indigenous families cannot sue afl, but if they want they can take it furthe to everyone else.

Gotta feel for him.

Paddy McCartin will sit out the remainder of the season as he continues to recover from ongoing concussion symptoms

And if the bloke ever tries again you would have to think the knocks he has had have fried him, many on here including myself said he should never have tried again for Sydney and got screamed down by some saying your not a doctor you wouldn't know .
Blind Freddy could see there was only one way this was headed , so FFS Paddy just stop

Last edited:
And if the bloke ever tries again you would have to think the knocks he has had have fried him, many on here including myself said he should never have tried agiam for Sydney and got screamed down by some saying your not a doctor you wouldn't know .
Blind Freddy could see there was only one way this was headed , so FFS Paddy just stop
Has to be said too the nature of the recent knock that has shelved him for the year is really really concerning.

I know the right spot puts the lights out but it’s such an innocuous low impact bump that it just feels all sorts of wrong that it’s had such an impact.

The back of the head was where the last one hit wasn't it? Softer spot and susceptible to damage but even still he needs to give it away

If the AFL are genuine about protecting players they need to step in and retire him now. Doesn't matter how many tests he passes, he should be barred from getting clearance at every level.

Imagine he cops a legit hit, or a big knee in the head from a speccy? He might not get back up.

If the AFL are genuine about protecting players they need to step in and retire him now. Doesn't matter how many tests he passes, he should be barred from getting clearance at every level.

Imagine he cops a legit hit, or a big knee in the head from a speccy? He might not get back up.

If he'd got the hit from Hammer that Mitch got then it could have been terrible. Feel for the guy but surely there's no way forward from here.

If he'd got the hit from Hammer that Mitch got then it could have been terrible. Feel for the guy but surely there's no way forward from here.
Exactly right. Don’t want something like Abbott and Hughes happening. He could literally die on field if he comes back. Like not talking about a ****ed life in retirement (which is also very much on the cards) but straight up die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back