Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best innings I have seen from an Indian batsman in Australia was this hundred from Tendulkar in the Boxing Day test in 1999.

The Aussie bowlers went through the rest of the Indian batting line up like a dose of salts on a fast bouncy pitch but Tendulkar stood tall.

India have had a lot of great batsmen over the years but Tendulkar is the best of them, he could make a good score on any pitch anywhere.

The scorecards from that tour are grim as hell, highest Indian total for the tour 285. Tendulkar & Laxman tick, the rest all at sea.

It was better in the pre internet days when Indian fans would just burn a few effigies and riot in response to a bad loss.

Fair enough, I took Gough on faith with that one. He definitely made 106 the match before it.

And Tendulkar absolutely did make that beautiful century in Perth though I remember a lot more of the 140-odd in Sydney
He was 18 when he scored those 2 tons PB. 18!
Best tons by an Indian batsmen in Australia.
1. Tendulkar 114 at the WACA, 1991/2
2. Tendulkar 116 at the MCG, 1999/00
3. Laxman 167 at the SCG, 1999/00
4. Kohli 123 at Perth Stadium, 2018/9
5. Sandeep Patil 174 at the Adelaide Oval, 1980/1

The scorecards from that tour are grim as hell, highest Indian total for the tour 285. Tendulkar & Laxman tick, the rest all at sea.

I’ll give you a guess at how many Indians from that series had set foot in Australia in white clothing before that series. Without even having to look I can tell you that aside from Sachin, the other one’s name starts with ‘J’ and rhymes with ‘avagal Srinath.’

In fact outside of the World Cup in 1992 I’m not even certain any of them had played limited overs cricket here before that. I think I’m right in saying they hadn’t played the triangular series.

He was 18 when he scored those 2 tons PB. 18!
Best tons by an Indian batsmen in Australia.
1. Tendulkar 114 at the WACA, 1991/2
2. Tendulkar 116 at the MCG, 1999/00
3. Laxman 167 at the SCG, 1999/00
4. Kohli 123 at Perth Stadium, 2018/9
5. Sandeep Patil 174 at the Adelaide Oval, 1980/1

Aesthetically probably hard to argue though the Patil one is before my time.

As far as context and importance go, Dravid’s 242 at Adelaide was huge. A monumental effort.

Pujara two tours ago at Adelaide was a masterpiece

So was Patel last series in Brisbane

It didn’t lead to a win but special mention to Sehwag’s 195 at Melbourne caught roughly two hours from stumps on day one trying to hit a six.

It was better in the pre internet days when Indian fans would just burn a few effigies and riot in response to a bad loss.

The entirety of Sri Lankan cricket is blowing up, the Pakistani chief of selectors is having a media row with one of their gun quicks and India have said ‘You think that’s an implosion, hold my beer, watch this’.

Afghani cricket is the most stable and well mannered in the region at the moment and they’re literally affiliated with the Taliban.

The entirety of Sri Lankan cricket is blowing up, the Pakistani chief of selectors is having a media row with one of their gun quicks and India have said ‘You think that’s an implosion, hold my beer, watch this’.

Afghani cricket is the most stable and well mannered in the region at the moment and they’re literally affiliated with the Taliban.

At least India can always fall back on winning more often than they lose outside of limited overs trophies. Sri Lanka and Pakistan have a whole lot of nothing happening at the moment in addition to the eternal embarrassments that seem to be plaguing all the off field aspects of their cricket

Aesthetically probably hard to argue though the Patil one is before my time.

As far as context and importance go, Dravid’s 242 at Adelaide was huge. A monumental effort.

Pujara two tours ago at Adelaide was a masterpiece

So was Patel last series in Brisbane

It didn’t lead to a win but special mention to Sehwag’s 195 at Melbourne caught roughly two hours from stumps on day one trying to hit a six.
All worthy. You might be able to tell but I love a ton in a hopeless cause.

This podcast says that in our opening 9 matches we saved 55 runs in the 2 finals we saved 38. We really lifted in every respect (except our chase against SA)

Can’t put a number on how many runs that Travis Head catch saved either. He had no right to catch it - like realistically nobody would have held that against him in any capacity if he shelled it.

How is what I said pathetic?

It's true that Aussie supporters were downplaying our WTC win, saying that the trophy and system was a joke because they didn't win it.

Of course that all changed when Australia won it this year and now it is being talked up as another great achievement by their supporters.

Even if you could argue that we did a Bradbury to make the final, we still needed to beat a tough opponent in India in the final to win it.

The same opponent Australia beat in the final to win it this year.

Except we did it first.
It can be both true that it is flawed as a system and it is an accomplishment to win it. I am happy we won it, but i would take an away ashes series win over it, i would take a test series in India win over it, i would take a world cup win over it, probably even a T20 world cup and i don't really care about them as much. I can assure you most Aussies do not care about New Zealand cricket enough to try and discredit them.

The same can not be said for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boring, boring, deeply off topic arguments are creeping into this gloriously celebratory thread.

1. Let's keep it to ODI talk. This was an ODI match.
2. Let's keep it to world cup talk. This was a world cup match.

For Indian sides who stood up (as a collective) in this format when it counted, for the 40 years that followed '83:

Sehwag
Tendulkar
Gambhir
Kohli
Dhoni
Y.Singh
Raina
H.Singh
Khan
Patel
Sreesanth

This side did it. Not all played well in the final but others picked up the slack where the openers had a blip.

The 2023 side when it came to batting had Gil getting out with a nothing shot, their dominant player (Sharma) having a costly brain fart, Iyer bested early, Kohli couldn't go on with it, Rahul battled manfully but was still too slow, Sky was useless, Jadeja no better and the tail unsurprisingly didn't wag. 300 was par and a mouth wateringly dominant batting line up fell 60 runs short.

Bowling wise over the two knockout games they still let New Zealand slip past 300 and then they only managed 3 wickets defending their final total until the match was done (let's face it, Head's wicket was from the match being in the bag). 7 overs to spare and that was with the Aussies not needing to take big risks during the home stretch.

Some of their players had some of the best individual tournaments ever until it was time to seal the deal. In knockout tournaments your legacy is built on standing up when it counts. The semis are (relatively) easy to get to for the big boys so you have to bring it when it becomes cutthroat.

Remember there were people complaining about Australia keeping Head in the squad and that it was poor planning?
I wasn't peeking around the forum during the early matches but I did take a cheeky look yesterday at what was being said around games 3-5 (so once we had started winning) and people wanted half of the side carved out. I don't blame people; we all get caught up in emotion, but there was a LOT of eggy faces.

I do remember one Ashes he insisted we review a random nothing ball nobody appealed for and turns out it was feathered. Bionic ear must need a tuneup though.

Looks like our brief freakout successively psyched out Jadeja though.
Smith had a classic one in the 2015 wc semi when the entire team weren't interested

Yeah, at the SCG... I was there, it was amazing. Smith charged in from point, arms flapping like a seagull, demanding that Clarky go upstairs. Completely bemused, after some thought, Clarke went "bugger it why not", and Smith was proven absolutely correct. Superman areas... Only person in the entire stadium to hear anything.

This world cup has all been about India

Let's spoil the party!
There's only so much Gerard Whateley I can stomach, but he did nail it when he described it as "a World Cup held in India, for India, to be won by India". Even right down to the fact that the schedule was only confirmed 3 months ago, essentially precluding anybody from other countries from going to the games, without the contacts necessary and/or the deepest pockets.

Is dew good for us in 2nd innings? Will it make easier or harder for us to score?
Yeah it does essentially two things...
It'll make the ball skid onto the bat, which makes it easier to score
That, and the wet ball also limits/eliminates any swing. Orthodox (given the moisture seeps into the leather once enough of the lacquer is gone, removing any shine) or reverse (given both sides get saturated the same, thus both weigh the same).

Also makes it hard for a spinner, particularly a wrist spinner, to grip and impart spin on. Warnie had a hell of a time in the 1996 Final for this very reason.

Personally I loved an effigy burning, right up there with dumping loads of manure, but well in front of the microwaving of membership cards

F_e499obgAAZeUA

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back