List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread - Pt2 Now With Added Wailing & Gnashing of Teeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Dockers fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
We will probably turn over a good few players next year too, with only 6 players in the end being changed from the 2023 to 2024 list:
Wilson
Benning
Colyer
Hamling
Schultz
Henry

Yet again an example of the way the game has gone - it has become exceedingly rare for a AFL club to turnover less than 6 players in an off season. Normally it’s about 8. Snuffaluphagus can we bookmark this for the inevitable debate next July when people are in here saying we will only turn over 3 or 4 players.

It. Simply. Does. Not. Happen. Anymore.

Adelaide in 2012 were the last club to change less than 5 players from their total playing list.

For next year looking at who is OOC - I’d say Corbett, tabs, Banfield, Hughes, Reidy and Nod are the ones in the red zone, based on their 2023 performances.

Of course there will probably we at least one unexpected trade request from a decent player too. If we can keep it to one, that would be reasonable I think.
It just seems to be the modern way - players move more frequently.

We will probably turn over a good few players next year too, with only 6 players in the end being changed from the 2023 to 2024 list:
Wilson
Benning
Colyer
Hamling
Schultz
Henry

Yet again an example of the way the game has gone - it has become exceedingly rare for a AFL club to turnover less than 6 players in an off season. Normally it’s about 8. Snuffaluphagus can we bookmark this for the inevitable debate next July when people are in here saying we will only turn over 3 or 4 players.

Adelaide in 2012 were the last club to change less than 5 players from their total playing list.

For next year looking at who is OOC - I’d say Corbett, tabs, Banfield, Hughes, Reidy and Nod are the ones in the red zone, based on their 2023 performances.

Of course there will probably we at least one unexpected trade request from a decent player too. If we can keep it to one, that would be reasonable I think.
If the club had it their way then it certainly would have happened though

Jason Dover just clubbed a few other clubs. Will put the link up when it's available.
And is very high on our management.

Obviously none of us are happy with this off-season, but we need to stay the course rather than making reactive changes.
Jason dover

My thoughts on what Dover says:
  • Says Walls & Graeme Wright were professional and easy to deal with, which is why the Schultz deal was done quickly;
  • He talks more about and gives more praise to Wright for how he courted Schultz over the year and for being willing to give overs to secure him;
  • When asked the question around why Freo have lost so many players and whether the criticism is justified, he doesn't actually answer the question. He jokes about media clickbait then mentions some players who we traded in before trading them out again and gives a straight bat about Freo being a well-run club who have a bright future and that he still has some clients playing for Freo.
So I don't think Dover bashed other clubs, and although he says nice things about our management it was more a businessman maintaining amicable working relationships by not speaking ill of his clients' employer rather than a glowing endorsement of us which, compared with how other player managers speak about us, seems like a glowing endorsement.

He had the opportunity to say something like "The criticism of Fremantle's player retention is unfounded. Yes many players have left Fremantle but that's not Fremantle's fault, the club did all they can to provide an environment for the players to play their best football however the reasons why players left were individual to each person, which is the same for all clubs". He didn't though, he just said something along the lines of "they're good to deal with".

Wilson
Benning
Colyer
Hamling
Schultz
Henry

Good point. Difference here is who the person is opening the exit door.

Same scenario with Allen. If we knew about Schultz and Collingwood 6 months ago we would have worked on him and perhaps come trade time he might have been more open to the idea, rather than springing it on him.
Listening to his manager, they had approached Freo earlier in the year with possible scenarios - ie if we can get something better than next years FA compo world you trade? The answer was possibly. It wasn't linked to Collingwood, that didn't occur until very late, in finals. I suppose that's where Wall's becomes a god and figures out other scenarios - it really is an art, not a science. Unfortunately we weren't prepared to deal for players we'd been prepping. It was really good that he confirmed that each trade has been circumstantial and it's not endemic of a shyte culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finish 14th next year is one way
So if we don't win we still win.
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

Am I the only one that wants sharp?

Surely we could have wrangled sharp from gc somehow

F3 and 34 for sharp and one of their late 20s picks

Then on draft night use our 40s and 50s picks to get back upto 34

Effectively giving them an f3 and they end up with about the same points

Am I the only one that wants sharp?

Surely we could have wrangled sharp from gc somehow

F3 and 34 for sharp and one of their late 20s picks

Then on draft night use our 40s and 50s picks to get back upto 34

Effectively giving them an f3 and they end up with about the same points

Meh - did he even get an afl game in a bottom of the ladder team this year?

If the club don’t go for him, he isn’t worth going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back