Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Better late than never hey!

Quarter of the way through the year, how is everyone going? I've fallen about 10 albums behind already.

Best album so far?
Best song?
Worst song?

For me the Knife's album is pretty great, and I've never been that much of a fan.

Shout out to incredibly underrated Aussie rockers Civic too.

Jessie Ware's Pearls has been the track of year, and I state that objectively. Absolute banger.

Worst song? Monday I popped over to the shops and managed to hear two tracks on jjj that are strong early candidates.

First, Tame Impala's track for whatever dungeons and dragons project apparently exists. I spent the whole song thinking it was a really shitty band trying to sound like Tame Impala, or maybe Kevin had lent his voice to an uncle's struggling pub band, but no.... it was an official Tame Impala track. This was either a money grab that they couldn't have cared less about or a genuine song that they thought was good. Either way, ooof...

Then there's this from DMA's, a band who I genuinely can't understand the appeal of. (Seriously, what the hell is up with the apostrophe? Do they belong to DMA or do they just come from a long line of greengrocers?)

But you know, strings and whiney lyrics, so I'm sure it'll make the top 10 of the hottest 100...

---
On a sad note, Ryuichi Sakamoto passed away a few days ago, age 71. Member of old school Japanese experimental band YMO, composer, Grammy, Oscar and BAFTA winner. He had been battling cancer for about a decade. His latest album, released this January, is one of the aforementioned ones I'm yet to catch up on. RIP.

Last edited:
I'm really into the new albums from 'Surf Friends' and 'Flyying Colours' at the moment.

Noel Gallagher has a new album coming out in a few months and the first 3 singles are good.

And I thought the Gorillaz album was good.

I'm really into the new albums from 'Surf Friends' and 'Flyying Colours' at the moment.

Noel Gallagher has a new album coming out in a few months and the first 3 singles are good.

And I thought the Gorillaz album was good.
Nice, I liked Flyying Colours' last album. Didn't know they had a new one out.

And yeah Gorillaz album is cool.

Have been loving C&Cs new one.. just keeps pumping out great album after great album

Clint's (The Butterfly Effect frontman) new one has just dropped, and it's a nice little play, not too long. Was thinking it would be acoustic, so with a band was interesting and great!

I'd like to say I'm keen for Metallica - 72 Seasons.. but ah... I don't hate on them, I'm just not attaching to any of the songs they've dropped so far. I didn't connect alot with much on Hardwired, so yeah, not sure what to expect. I still appreciate what they do, will still rock out to them and hate their haters. Hopefully there's a couple of gems still be heard when it drops this week?

I want to like the new Metallica, badly. I just can't. Sorry to say, its very phoned in sounding. Songs are just not good. James sounds good, Kirk sounds terrible. Improvising solos is not working for him.

Kirk sounds terrible. Improvising solos is not working for him.

And a bunch of articles interviewing him lately he is doubling down on it as he's "bored of playing the same solos over and over"

Hopefully, he'd be surprised to learn that most of his fans would still very much appreciate if he took the time to carefully arrange solos like he used to pre St Anger.

the Moody Beaches album Acid Ocean is a ripper

Poison City Records said:
Following the release of their thundering lead single 'Crowded World' and the latest cut ‘Counting Reasons’, Naarm/ Melbourne trio Moody Beaches have announced their hotly anticipated debut long player 'Acid Ocean'; a 10-track serve of harmony-driven and brooding fuzzed-out songs, raw and scathing, channelling the loud-quiet-loud dynamic and introspection that made 80s-90s music so visceral.
Emerging from Melbourne’s punk-rock underbelly in 2017, Moody Beaches have since cemented themselves as a must-watch live act and staple of the Australian indie punk scene, who have shared stages with the likes of Magic Dirt, Screamfeeder, Dead Kennedy's and Spiderbait.

the whole thing is up on bandcamp if you want to listen to it without putting up with youtubes bullshit.

Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck with the old Andy Williams song, "Moon River". released on May 12th.
Clapton has 2 Jeff Beck Tribute concerts on next week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard Ever on triple j on the drive home, loved it, immediately put the album on and it's very good. Bit of Gang of Youths in that song, little bit of Catfish and the Bottlemen in another.
Yeah, it's a good album, very consistent without any weak tracks. The singers voice reminds me of Dan Sultan.

I agree with the general consensus that the latest Foo Fighters album is their best album in the last 20 years.

I agree with the general consensus that the latest Foo Fighters album is their best album in the last 20 years.
That would take it all the way back to their fourth album and beyond. I've only half-listened to it once, sounded alright, better than their last few, but nothing jumped out at me specifically. I will listen again but it would take a lot to be better than In Your Honor and Wasting Light.

After listening to a few Foo Fighters songs, my main thought is who the fudge mixed this thing? Sounds like a low quality limewire download.

Slowdive album was ok but I was hoping it would be better.

Filter album is good considering the bands best days are behind them.

Slowdive album was ok but I was hoping it would be better.

Filter album is good considering the bands best days are behind them.
I can’t remember the last time a band I liked back in the day released a recent album that I’ve really enjoyed.
PJ Harvey and Everything But The Girl this year were disappointing, so was Cypress Hill and Placebo last year and Weezer released a couple of stinkers the year prior.
nostalgia is almost definitely distorting my expectations but still…

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Back