Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the following
  • We want Reid
  • WCE are happy with Curtain
  • Hawks and GCS have players higher up their draft than us (Durs and Mckercher)
  • we land pick 3 for Mckay

Surely there is a deal where we swap pick 2 for GC’s 4 with sweeteners and we can do a similar trade with West Coast - also whilst promising not to bid on Suns kids??

Someone smarter than me can draw up how this might look.

We’ll be ok with whom ever we pick . In 2 years time this team will be scary. Once we sift out the spuds though .

I PM’d a couple a month or two ago, Way before we had pick 1 for a week. Way before he it came out that he wasn’t keen to go to WA. We’re going after Reid.
I asked some questions to people who know all the top kids in this draft. Harley Reid is the best player in this draft and it’s not even close.
People seriously don’t think the club has a little idea what the assistance package might be?
How can you ask these contracted players to come over without picks? How can you plan for Sanders if you don’t know if we have to match or not.
All this stuff doesn’t happen in a week lol.

I’m going to hang onto to this sliver of hope and ride it all the way to the draft.

A lot to play out now. Seems to be a lot of smoke that we want Reid enough to trade up for him. You’d think it would mean outbidding the Dees who will be thinking they’re back in with a shot.

Do wonder if Harley’s mindset has changed at all thinking all week he was set to stay in Vic. May have made it harder to reconcile going West. All speculation of course and there’s a long time between now and trade week/draft.

Curtin and Watson is a no brainer as it stands, and then we have Sanders too. Something for each third of the ground.

Drafting Mckercher will continue to make the same error we've been making the last 4-5 seasons where we're just saturating the list with midfielders. He's a quality player no doubt but we're stacked with midfielders to the point where all of Powell, Phillips, Lazzaro, Simpkin and TT looked good on ball yesterday, and then we need to add LDU, Wardlaw and Sanders to that somehow without even worrying about another mid like Mckercher. Then we can also give Sheezel and Zurhaar bursts on ball too. Curtin and Watson can both play through the middle too.

Depth is good, having too much depth in one position just hurts your list in other places.

The murmurings that we're into guys like Stephens, Ralphsmith, Fisher and Henry fill me with confidence that we're looking to fill the outside run hole on the cheap rather than with a top pick.
Curtin and McKercher you mean?

I PM’d a couple a month or two ago, Way before we had pick 1 for a week. Way before he it came out that he wasn’t keen to go to WA. We’re going after Reid.
I asked some questions to people who know all the top kids in this draft. Harley Reid is the best player in this draft and it’s not even close.
People seriously don’t think the club has a little idea what the assistance package might be?
How can you ask these contracted players to come over without picks? How can you plan for Sanders if you don’t know if we have to match or not.
All this stuff doesn’t happen in a week lol.
So why did we win yesterday if we’re so keen on Harley?

Ford Goater Bergman Curtis
Starting to get those 2nd and 3rd rounders right
Throw in this years draft haul, plus Wardlaw, LDU, George and Zurhaar and we have the makings of a good team
I was hoping for Reid, but even I look at the list differently after a win, imagine a win gives the players a lift
Especially Ford’s first win in 20 odd games

Assuming the following
  • We want Reid
  • WCE are happy with Curtain
  • Hawks and GCS have players higher up their draft than us (Durs and Mckercher)
  • we land pick 3 for Mckay

Surely there is a deal where we swap pick 2 for GC’s 4 with sweeteners and we can do a similar trade with West Coast - also whilst promising not to bid on Suns kids??

Someone smarter than me can draw up how this might look.

I posted this in the main board pick 1 thread - West Coast fans aren't really happy with it though. I suppose we could add in Ports first if we are desperate. I think it goes over some people's heads as well that a pick 3 is much more powerful when you also have pick 2. It becomes a 'pick 2.5' in a sense because you can take two in a row. So if there are 2 players rated as good as each other for pick 2, you in a sense get overs for your pick 3 (assuming the players after that are rated even slightly lesser).

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 9.26.42 am.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this in the main board pick 1 thread - West Coast fans aren't really happy with it though. I suppose we could add in Ports first if we are desperate. I think it goes over some people's heads as well that a pick 3 is much more powerful when you also have pick 2. It becomes a 'pick 2.5' in a sense because you can take two in a row. So if there are 2 players rated as good as each other for pick 2, you in a sense get overs for your pick 3 (assuming the players after that are rated even slightly lesser).

View attachment 1786807
This looks about right. WCE get their WA kid plus an extra and Gold Coast get an extra early pick in next years draft. Maybe we lose our PP pick and pick up a 2nd rounder from WCE to sweeten it

View attachment 1786807
That looks crazy good (as some would say) to me for WC?

The only thing not to like is you’re not getting Reid. Unless of course Dimma can do a Port and pull out a top 4 finish.

The only thing not to like is you’re not getting Reid. Unless of course Dimma can do a Port and pull out a top 4 finish.

I don't think it's 'crazy' good - but is quite good and I can't imagine they get a better option.

It is literally the same as we got for two pick 1's (JHF + Pick 1 2022) for 2, 3 and Ports first.

If they got ports first this year added in on top, then it would be very very good for them. Problem is their fans think they should be getting a package like 2, 5, and 10 for pick 1 - which is delusional.

I don't think it's 'crazy' good - but is quite good and I can't imagine they get a better option.

It is literally the same as we got for two pick 1's (JHF + Pick 1 2022) for 2, 3 and Ports first.

If they got ports first this year added in on top, then it would be very very good for them. Problem is their fans think they should be getting a package like 2, 5, and 10 for pick 1 - which is delusional.
Ha yeah I got a little excited.

From the outside the one advantage we seem to have is if WC are really keen on Curtin, they can’t afford to trade with anyone but us.

So why did we win yesterday if we’re so keen on Harley?
This is such a comical statement. We won because we beat the other team. Nothing else.

Only 2 teams have ever tanked on the history of AFL, basically we can't afford to tank. It's a horrible look, it ruins mindsets and career's. I'm as shattered as the next guy we don't have pick 1, but it wasnt a "meaningless" victory. It was a statement.

Without MOST of our senior players (ziebell, cunnington, hall, mcdonald, shiels to a degree, zurhaar, ldu) we won. A third of a side who are senior were missing and we won. It is a moment in time were the club won without the previous leadership.

Make no mistake this is huge. The belief and the sell is much more then a pick 1 can give.

Again name a no. 1 pick who was best of the draft.

if GC were open for trading 5 for future 1st why dont we just offer tham ours f1 for 5 and take curtin, watson and mckercher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back