Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to point out how fortuitous it’s been to have shared the bottom 2 with West Coast the last couple years and not another club.

They came to the trade table last year in pretty damn good faith alongside GWS, and helped us get out of the JHF debacle relatively unscathed (and arguably better off, Wardlaw dependant). The way Port were negotiating we could’ve been in big trouble.

There’s zero chance any Vic club lets North get Reid without demanding LDU or Larkey on top of our first.

Howdy all, come in peace just to offer the WCE fan perspective.

I think we all are desperate for Reid and the few of us who are open to trading down from Pick 1 are expecting more than what I'm assuming you'd be offering (Pick 2 and Port's pick)?

But we as a collective have little faith in our club making correct decisions atm so perhaps you're well in the hunt.

Ultimately, it seems silly to suggest any deal would already be agreed upon given other rival suitors are still playing footy! If a deal is done (God I hope not, will burn the club down) it would surely be a long way away.

A key defender with a booming left foot again caught the eye during a Coates Talent League quarter-final on the weekend.

Tasmanian Devils defender Arie Schoenmaker was a standout for his side as the minor premiers proved too good for an inaccurate Gippsland Power on Saturday.

A 194cm tall, Schoenmaker racked up 32 disposals, seven marks, three intercept marks, five spoils and four tackles for a total of 205 SuperCoach ranking points.

He took most of the kick-outs for the Devils and also floated forward to boot a long-range goal from outside 50m during the third quarter.

Schoenmaker has been invited to next month’s national draft combine, as one of the top 61 prospects in the country.

He missed 10 weeks at the start of the year due to a suspension for an off-field indiscretion, but returned to feature in two matches for the Allies in the under-18 national championships.

Schoenmaker’s form has also been strong for the Devils since his first game of the year in round 8.

Key defender Arie Schoenmaker recorded 205 ranking points on Saturday. Picture: Getty Images

Key defender Arie Schoenmaker recorded 205 ranking points on Saturday. Picture: Getty Images

Meanwhile, top-10 draft prospect Ryley Sanders starred for Sandringham Dragons in their quarter-final win over the Northern Knights on Sunday.

Sanders collected 29 disposals, eight clearances, seven marks, 10 score involvements and laid 10 tackles to finish as the game’s No. 1 ranked player with 184 SuperCoach points.

Sanders has been a consistent performer across all of his football programs this year and won the Larke Medal as the best player of the under-18 national championships after starring across his four games for the Allies.

Both Coates Talent League preliminary finals will be played in Bendigo on Sunday, with Tasmania set to face Eastern Ranges and Sandringham Dragons to face off with Geelong Falcons.
Hmmm. Talented Taswegian with off- field indiscretions in his history. Can't think of anything that would cause us any nerves there 🙂

I think we all are desperate for Reid and the few of us who are open to trading down from Pick 1 are expecting more than what I'm assuming you'd be offering (Pick 2 and Port's pick)?

But we as a collective have little faith in our club making correct decisions atm so perhaps you're well in the hunt.

Ultimately, it seems silly to suggest any deal would already be agreed upon given other rival suitors are still playing footy! If a deal is done (God I hope not, will burn the club down) it would surely be a long way away.

No way a deal is done.

It’s POSSIBLE that west coast have said it’s agreed unless another deal trumps it.

Best available with early picks. Always.

And I think our midfield is so far from "set and forget" it's not funny. We had games we were brutalised in there despite our supposed star studded cast.

Let's see our best talented mids actually get on the park for 15+ games a year and the unproven ones step up a level before we consider the midfield a finished product.
Best available is lazy nonsense. It got us into this mess and can go f... itself. Our list is embarrassingly imbalanced; this draft is our best chance to fix that.

No idea.

Great source. Reassured me whole way about clarko.

Bit out of touch and this info was 1 or 2 weeks ago, only saw him today.

Would 💯 explain why we tried to win tho, I'd suggest the sanders bidding came about to stop us from tanking.

I'd imagine it'd be that Port pick and 2. Hence sanders bidding would still be eroded if we had 1. Purely speculation on my behalf but it all adds up.
Is this the same guy that told you Ziebell was going to Geelong a couple of years back?

It would be in the AFL’s interest to give us the currency to trade pick 2 for pick 1. That way they help us AND Wet Toast in one go. We get Reid, pick 3 whoever and Sanders. WC get Curtin plus one other first round pick. Other clubs would be outraged, but f@&$ ‘em.

If WC are dead set on Curtin then other clubs offers might not matter too much and they might be happy to work out a deal with North. It might include more than 2 and the Port pick. It might include a player that WC really rate.

Not saying this is the case, and I'm not automatically believing the rumour that a deal is done.

From the great and powerful PMBangers:

Re Curtin

I think playing as a 3rd tall in the backline is probably going to be where Curtin finds his feet best, and will likely be one of the main distributors out of the defensive half given his kicking ability. In general I think he's a superb prospect, there's really not much he doesn't do to a high level when given a defined role.

McKercher is a high level accumulator with a damaging kick and good defensive work rate around the ground. He doesn't test super well athletically but seems to have the footy knowledge to use what he does have to his advantage and hurt opposition around stoppages and with his run and carry around the ground, likely starts his career as a winger but shouldn't have any issue moving into centre bounces when he bulks up a bit.
PMBangers explain yourself!

They may think that the next few after Reid are pretty close and just be happy with two (or even three) of them and not have the drama of trying to convince Reid to come across and then stay. The Eagles don't lose many but perhaps, given the shitty year they've just had, they don't want to have to deal with JHF 2.0 in 2024.
Then why not pick someone else at one or force GC17 to pick Walters at one?

It would be in the AFL’s interest to give us the currency to trade pick 2 for pick 1. That way they help us AND Wet Toast in one go. We get Reid, pick 3 whoever and Sanders. WC get Curtin plus one other first round pick. Other clubs would be outraged, but f@&$ ‘em.
AFL giving North Sanders and pick 11 (which has to be traded) allows WCE to get 2 + 11 (to fast track their rebuild indirectly) for Reid and the AFL to avoid the disaster of pick 1 (Reid) and pick 2 (Curtin) seeking a trade back to their home states in 2 years time. It’s a win for AFL, North and Eagles. Would make a lot of sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Talented Taswegian with off- field indiscretions in his history. Can't think of anything that would cause us any nerves there 🙂
What’s his off stuff? I like the look of him at the port pick if we get to use it without it being absorbed by a sanders bid if that happens

Good luck - we have Adam Simpson, Drew Petrie and Daniel Pratt as agents for NMFC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souup
Souup could I get your opinion on what you think about Mckercher’s testing numbers being so poor? Seems rapid out on the field, highly agile etc.

I have liked Curtin's videos. I'll roll out the carpet for players who can hit targets under pressure. But there are a lot of doubters of spending a high draft pick because he is listed as a KPD and there is a perception he can't lock down a player.

Is Curtin similar to Alex Rance (who is already about Rance's size when he retired)?

From what I have seen of him, Curtin is already way past Alex Rance at the same age. Rance was a late bloomer. For his first few years Rance reminded me of Benny Hill running around in circles. He finally found his niche when he completely avoided going near anyone. He was terrible one-on-one but he gained many accolades for what he could do and no one mentioned what he couldn't do.

If they are similar players then Curtin is years ahead both physically and skillfully.

Sharlto Copley The Unabomber GIF by Madman Films

I’m here to help

I hope we aren't throwing that Port pick away like it's some insignificant trash just to move up 1 measly spot.
Good relationship between the clubs
Would stop a lot of trade and draft speculation
Harley gets the respect of being first chosen
We'll likely send you a late pick or two as well especially if you have to match a Sanders bid

not entirely sure but think it related to a multip week suspension for drinking in hotel room and wrecking the joint

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
10 weeks for a keith moon these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back