Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we end up 2 3 11 14 we'd be stupid to go for reid, especially with wc value of pick 1. 4 top 20 picks goes a long way in list balance whilst also being able to take quality players. The only thing if anything would be if we wanted to trade 11 and 14 w gold coast for 5, but even then would we be worth going for that for the sake of moving up 6 spaces whilst losing 1 quality kid. That hand alone could see us get mckercher Watson Murphy/ schoenmaker and Archer reid/ Edwards. All players we could do with. Don't see why we would be silly enough to risk all this for reid.
As l have said before ..if we get GC first pick for 11 and 14 then we should try for the Hawks first pick. Offer GCs first pick plus our F2 for their First pick and either their F2 or F3...

Seems the rumour is Hawks want Duursma but if Sanders is available it wouldn't surprise me to select him instead...Not prepared to take that chamce. This way we get Sanders and they can still get Duursma..

Then we can take either 2 of Reid , Curtin or McKersher with our first 2 picks...

Would you trade 3 (McKay compo) and 39 for Demons pick 5 and 13?
We'd have 2, 5, 13, 14 and whatever AFL PP might be. We could use 13 and 14 to go after GC pick 4 as well.
Take McKercher at 2, one of Curtin/Watson/Duursma/Sanders/Caddy/O'Sullivan at 5 and then two other 1st round kids.
Dees might want to hold onto them though as they could probably use two good young kids in the door vs one top pick.

We'd have 2, 5, 13, 14 and whatever AFL PP might be. We could use 13 and 14 to go after GC pick 4 as well.
Take McKercher at 2, one of Curtin/Watson/Duursma/Sanders/Caddy/O'Sullivan at 5 and then two other 1st round kids.
Dees might want to hold onto them though as they could probably use two good young kids in the door vs one top pick.

Personally I hope Melbourne keep their picks and use them. Can see them use that first pick on Caddy.

Besides, why not keep 2 and 3 and aim to use 14 with potential assistance or another pick for 5? The end result will be virtually the same with a better hand.

I guess the question is who are they trading up from 5 to 3 to get? It's not Reid or McKercher they'll be gone, is it Sanders? Unlikely to be Caddy, Duursma or Watson. So I'm not sure they'd do that, their list has been exposed in the finals a few gaps to fill they should take those picks to the draft.

Last edited:
For those of us wanting to trade for Reid, Ashcroft was agreed as the #1 talent this time last year.
Right now, would you swap one of Sheezel or Wardlaw and give up a first round pick to get Ashcroft?
I'd potentially swap Wardlaw for Ashcroft and it hurts to say. Only because of Wardlaw's injury history. In saying that Ashcroft has done his ACL. Let's not underestimate how freakish Ashcroft is.

For those of us wanting to trade for Reid, Ashcroft was agreed as the #1 talent this time last year.
Right now, would you swap one of Sheezel or Wardlaw and give up a first round pick to get Ashcroft?
I don't really want to trade for Reid but the talk is that the club does and they make the decisions, unfortunately.

Personally I hope Melbourne keep their picks and use them. Can see them use that first pick on Caddy.

Besides, why not keep 2 and 3 and aim to use 14 with potential assistance or another pick for 5? The end result will be virtually the same with a better hand.
That's fair that's another option. I think they will probably hang onto them. A lot of it depends on McKay/PP/Sanders situation as well with us. I think they'd probably want Duursma or Caddy and more run/speed. Sanders would make some sense too.

The argument can be made the other way. Nick Daicos was arguably the #1 talent this time 2 years ago and if he was in the open draft I would swap pick 2 and a first rounder in the teens for him.

The NMFC pitch may have been an option that also allowed the AFL to by proxy provide support to WC. Help us snare Reid, WC gain improved draft capital which we may have not originally been able to offer.
I wouldn't put it past the AFL to do something like that. Similar to when just the right compo was offered for Ablett to come back home. I mean End of 1st Round pick for Stephen Motlop, it doesn't get more orchestrated than that.

If the goal is to have 18 competitive teams though, the AFL should come to North and say we want to help you get pick 1 and you're going to help us help the Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got this gnawing feeling that Duursma’s going to be the best player in the draft. Annoying because he’s not on my Wishlist because similar players blah blah but he always seems to be impactful in some way. Might check his vids again!
Totally agree.

He's had the same trajectory in the draft as Sidebottom and the Bont, flown up the draft charts after playing big in big games.

Whoever drafts him knows he's built for September..

Just keeps on performing every week as his Dragons team progress deeper into the Talent League finals series. This week he struggled a little more than usual to find space at stoppage, but he still impacted the game positively as he always does.

I'd potentially swap Wardlaw for Ashcroft and it hurts to say. Only because of Wardlaw's injury history. In saying that Ashcroft has done his ACL. Let's not underestimate how freakish Ashcroft is.
I think wardlaw will be fine. Watching them both I think its hard to go past wardlaw in just the few bits I've seen, just so inredibly dynamic in close with a radar inside that noggin. Not as silky as ashcroft (who I think probably plays more outside moving forward after his injury).

I think Wardlaw is great, but Ashcroft is and will be a better player. I reckon that's fairly obvious.

But Sheezel and Ashcroft...tough one. Probably Sheezel.

I think Wardlaw is great, but Ashcroft is and will be a better player. I reckon that's fairly obvious.

But Sheezel and Ashcroft...tough one. Probably Sheezel.
I think that Wardlaw has the highest potential of the three, but with the biggest risk.

All three are really special but Wardlaw at full flight is something else.

I reckon I've watched this 30 times. You won't see a much better 3 games highlight. The combination or athleticism, aggression and just lacing out bullet kicks.

I think that Wardlaw has the highest potential of the three, but with the biggest risk.

I reckon I've watched this 30 times. You won't see a much better 3 games highlight. The combination or athleticism, aggression and just lacing out bullet kicks.

Just imagine... just imagine if he doesn't get injured next year.

Mad dog!

Just keeps on performing every week as his Dragons team progress deeper into the Talent League finals series. This week he struggled a little more than usual to find space at stoppage, but he still impacted the game positively as he always does.

What's his best comparison currently in the AFL?

Totally agree.
He's had the same trajectory in the draft as Sidebottom and the Bont, flown up the draft charts after playing big in big games.
Whoever drafts him knows he's built for September..
There's still a part of me that's not sure about him. Doesn't look like he will be an explosive, big bodied mid/forward like a Petracca or Rayner and doesn't quite have the sublime skills of Sidebottom or Bont. He's a tough one to project what he is at AFL level.
I certainly hope he's different to his brother as he has underwhelmed and hasn't nailed down a position at the level.

There's still a part of me that's not sure about him. Doesn't look like he will be an explosive, big bodied mid/forward like a Petracca or Rayner and doesn't quite have the sublime skills of Sidebottom or Bont. He's a tough one to project what he is at AFL level.
I certainly hope he's different to his brother as he has underwhelmed and hasn't nailed down a position at the level.
I think that’s been his biggest hurdle - his brother and his brother’s shit form.

His own performances in the pointy end of the season have been incredible and I can’t look past that, therefore I reckon he’s more Jeremy McGovern and more Joel Selwood than their respective brothers.

Of course I could be completely wrong though, only time will tell..

Going to be so shit when we miss out on this guy. Has future captain and 250 game player written all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back