Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

All those folks who think Lobb and Acres (perhaps even Logue) are irreplaceable should rush off and take the $1.80 we're currently paying to miss the eight. The rest of us who think our list is much improved, including because it's now full of players who actually want to be at Freo, will be taking the money for jam that is the $5 we're paying for top four!
what's paying for us to win the Premiership?! Because I think that's where we're headed.....

Bettercallsaul Training Report 21/02/23
Ok peeps, popped my head in this morning for a quick look see.

1/ Seemed like all but Freddie and Sonny were on the track this morning. Even O’Driscoll joined full training after a few run throughs on the far side. Looked fine.

2/ During the match sim the ball was centred from the far wing into the centre and Sturt spoiled the player trying to mark it then he swooped on the loose ball and ran on taking a couple of bounces. He tried to handball over Tendai to Treacy (I think) but Tendai partially smothered it. Not to be stopped Sturt swooped again and got the handball over to Sebit who sprinted into an open goal. Very encouraging from Sam.

3/ Another play of note was Jackson flying for a mark the ball hitting the deck where he executed a lighting handball out of congestion where Fyfe picked it up cleanly and snapped a nice goal. Fyfe‘s goal kicking today was very good that I saw.

4/ Generally I thought the players were lowering their eyes and hitting targets well in the forward fifty. Amazing what an positive effect forwards leading hard in the kickers line of sight can give.

Sorry there must have been other points of note but I was too busy gas bagging to notice!🤡

1/ Seemed like all but Freddie and Sonny were on the track this morning. Even O’Driscoll joined full training after a few run throughs on the far side. Looked fine.

2/ During the match sim the ball was centred from the far wing into the centre and Sturt spoiled the player trying to mark it then he swooped on the loose ball and ran on taking a couple of bounces. He tried to handball over Tendai to Treacy (I think) but Tendai partially smothered it. Not to be stopped Sturt swooped again and got the handball over to Sebit who sprinted into an open goal. Very encouraging from Sam.

3/ Another play of note was Jackson flying for a mark the ball hitting the deck where he executed a lighting handball out of congestion where Fyfe picked it up cleanly and snapped a nice goal. Fyfe‘s goal kicking today was very good that I saw.

4/ Generally I thought the players were lowering their eyes and hitting targets well in the forward fifty. Amazing what an positive effect forwards leading hard in the kickers line of sight can give.

Sorry there must have been other points of note but I was too busy gas bagging to notice!🤡
It's getting hard NOT to be excited! Nice work Saul

Walters injured according to the Injury thread. Achilles :(

Freddy looking ripped on an insta vid the club had of him training inside. Rig!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of my preference for 'types' in our forward line, Sturt is a good fit. Fast and talented. Dangerous with the ball, and I noted the recent comments on him tackling.

2 x talls from Taberner, Amiss, Treacy

2 x mediums from Fyfe, Sturt, Frederick

2 x smalls from Walters, Switkowski, Schultz

1 x rotating ruck Jackson/Darcy

The bold are multi-positional which is an important advantage, with Treacy as a potential fill in ruck.

I could pluck a preferred from that group, but there isn't a combination I would be unhappy with.

If Sturt and/or Frederick could become options to rotate on the wings it would be damn exciting.

In terms of my preference for 'types' in our forward line, Sturt is a good fit. Fast and talented. Dangerous with the ball, and I noted the recent comments on him tackling.

The bold are multi-positional which is an important advantage, with Treacy as a potential fill in ruck.

I could pluck a preferred from that group, but there isn't a combination I would be unhappy with.

If Sturt and/or Frederick could become options to rotate on the wings it would be damn exciting.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if we pick eight of these players in the best 22.

Eight probably sounds too many but so many of those small/medium players could easily run through the middle and add to midfield rotations.

Might depend on availability for not only this group but the midfield.

This is bang on in my opinion. I might add Kuek, Ras & Johnno to the mediums list but only as injury backup at this stage. Ras & Johnno should be around the mark in the mids pool and then there is the Banners as sub thing as well but that summary is the way to go in my view.

Jackson is a better all round prosepct then Lobb.
OMeara is instantly 10x better then Tucker. Straight into the 22 and makes the team better. Huge positive net gain.
Treacy covers Logue and develops in that role. Hamling is sufficient depth down back.
Acres is the only one. Henry has a lot of expectation on him. Capable of being a star.

This pre season showed the club and team are pumped, not necessarily bothered by the three leaving. Young wanted to make a big scene that it was. Nope
personally I use o’meara as mundy’s replacement in this analysis.
tucker was depth and that’s filled by youngsters.
acres is definitely a loss imo

I just re-watched THAT 2nd half against Melbourne at the MCG last year, Round 11. Narrm** I think there were for the Sir Doug Nicholls round.

Thing that got me pumpin' with excitement was the excitement of the Freo faithful that day; watching the boys turn it around in the 3rd quarter with an astonishing 8 goal performance. And not forgetting Freddy's nuts backhander, ridiculously good.....man, so electric! We just came from nowhere that day to pull a rabbit out the hat......proper magic! Our fans: giving it their all, the Dees fans off sooking in a corner whilst we were ringing out the Freo chant! Just beautiful.

I hope this year, there's another Freo chant ringing out loud and proud at the G, come Grand Final day.

Very excited now for season 2023 to get underway.........let's be 'avin ya!!

EDIT** it was Narrm, my bad

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back