Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. The only thing really that I might see as going easy is Cox, maybe off balance, just reaching out with one hand, and given one of his hands was injured, you might not expect much more from him at this point in his return to training.

But also generally, when you see match sim training videos you don't know what point in the match sim it is. Like the other example I gave with Pearce and Benning last week, maybe the coaching instruction comes out to the player to look after himself at some point, to stay out there and get the game time but not to go flat out anymore and risk injury.

Its just a guess.
The point is Fyfe, no doubt. I think front & square Fyfe has more potential to impact more than contested mark Fyfe as they will cover him 3rd man up & when the ball hits the ground he is already out of position. If Tabs, Jackson, Amiss & Treacy are the focus for opposition & Fyfe can get to as many contests as he can inside 50, this is where he will be most dangerous as he knows how to win the contested ground ball.
I’d like him to play his natural game forward of centre & win ground ball with the odd grab.
Hopefully we can structure that.

Coxy is going to be a very good player for us, but he should not have made the All Australian squad last year. Definitely needs more defensive urgency and desperation in his game.
Huh? He’s the cornerstone of the stingiest defense (almost) in the comp. So underrated, even on here.

Am I too cynical in thinking there would be more defensive pressure in a normal AFL game. Or should I just enjoy the Nat Fyfe moment?
Nah, just silly. We can assume that Fyfe, as a dual Brownlow medallist, can apply these skills in a game context.

Am I too cynical in thinking there would be more defensive pressure in a normal AFL game. Or should I just enjoy the Nat Fyfe moment?
Perhaps, but you'd say Fyfe is far from the top of his performance trajectory as a forward and has the improvement in him to surpass that pressure.

Perhaps, but you'd say Fyfe is far from the top of his performance trajectory as a forward and has the improvement in him to surpass that pressure.
Don't think it's a personal issue for a team. It's more of a forward line issue on whether pressure is applied. Fyfe will be just fine.
Hawkins, Cameron the top KPFs aren't renowed for pressure. Tabs isn't great with pressure either.

If you watch that replay closely, Youngie would have spoiled or at least got some sort of body on just before Fyfe took the snap. Yes, I am a bastard.
He was out of position for the loose ball, it does happen during AFL games and a player like Fyfe is always going to get the shot on goal away. Maybe an AFL game is more pressure but he could have kicked sooner too.

I recon he’s going to be great in the forwardline & have around 40 goals + assists for the year if he plays 20 games.

Without superb training reports, we appear to be left with feeding trolls on this thread (and yes, I’m guilty).
It's just that time of the pre season where we're all getting a bit over training and are desperate for some games. Next Thursday should be really good catharsis. This Friday is only slightly better than the intra clubs though lol

Don't think it's a personal issue for a team. It's more of a forward line issue on whether pressure is applied. Fyfe will be just fine.
Hawkins, Cameron the top KPFs aren't renowed for pressure. Tabs isn't great with pressure either.
Though this was about (gungho's comment on) pressure applied to Fyfe, not Fyfe applying pressure.

The thing I focussed on and liked was the Fyfe finish and how its something he's shown previously and could show a lot more of as a permanent forward. I don't think anyone doubts Fyfe can win his own ground ball at AFL level. My pont was he may provide to be just as dangerous on the ground around goals as we expected him to be in the air.

How hard the defenders were going in that drill is irrelevant because we know Fyfe can beat anyone at ground level. The finish was key to me from that example.
Also watching him live you can see the detail of his movements. The angles, timing and strength of his leads etc would stand up in the real thing. Fyfe can adjust his intensity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Though this was about (gungho's comment on) pressure applied to Fyfe, not Fyfe applying pressure.
Fair enough.
The fans and the club just what Fyfe dominating aerially, like Belly said. At this point in his career, probably for the first time since 2012, he can play without any baggage or having to lift the team on his shoulders. Reckon he ll make defenders look silly and be a scary mofo.

Also watching him live you can see the detail of his movements. The angles, timing and strength of his leads etc would stand up in the real thing. Fyfe can adjust his intensity.
Funny, because Fyfe can take on Pavlich’s role and be a smart footballer in the sense on how to lead, strength 1on1. Pavlich was never a strong pressure player.

Haselby on our ideal forward line structure;

Thanks but no thanks. People need to get off on Amiss kicking 40+ and whatnot. Second season of big expectations. Just going to be grateful he continues to develop and string games consistently.
Fremantle and any forward must be the most intensely stressed out scenario in the club’s history.

Amiss is as casual as you get, he was born to kick goals & would rather be doing it for Fremantle than Peel. It was his decision to play again last year when the club were happy to wrap him up for the season.
If we can nail our ball movement through the middle, he will kick 40+.

I made it to the preseason launch this morning and was lucky enough to sit next to Jamie Graham at my table. Probably one of the more interesting people to talk to in the room I reckon, so thought I would share some things that we spoke about:

• Amiss: he said is an exciting young player, but did emphasise that it takes a while for young talls to really find their feet in the game so seemed to hint that he has a way to go before he is a lock for B22. I reckon we will see him get some games for sure but isnt a walk up start.
  • Jaeger: must have said three times how impressive he is and that he thinks he has flown under the radar considering how good an acquisition he has been. We should expect big things from him this season.
  • Sturt: he is getting noticed for starting to get the importance of bringing pressure as something you can control, help you work yourself into and impact the game. He mentioned same as Walters who had to come to that realisation before he started to find his form in the forward line
  • Tabs: is healthy and looking really fit. seemed pretty confident with his health heading into the season
  • Corbett: said he is doing well mentioned that its really important to have quality depth on the list
  • Eagles: asked him how he thought they would go... reckons they will do better this year - prob wont make the 8! but their ego took a hit last season and derbies will definitely be danger games for us
  • Other teams he thought would improve: Richmond, Port, Carlton, not clear who will drop out of the 8 - should be a tight season
  • Captain: asked him what he reckoned about two captains. Said his preference is one, but on the coaches trip to USA during the offseason they saw some examples where it worked really well where there was a really strong onfield paired with someone strong with the off field stuff. Said he was really impressed with Pearce standing in last year. Lead with great intent and energy. Really stood out to him initially when he covered as senior coach for JL early in the season

Last edited:
I made it to the preseason launch this morning and was lucky enough to sit next to Jamie Graham at my table. Probably one of the more interesting people to talk to in the room I reckon, so thought I would share some things that we spoke about:

• Amiss: he said is an exciting young player, but did emphasise that it takes a while for young talls to really find their feet in the game so seemed to hint that he has a way to go before he is a lock for B22. I reckon we will see him get some games for sure but isnt a walk up start.
  • Jaeger: must have said three times how impressive he is and that he thinks he has flown under the radar considering how good an acquisition he has been. We should expect big things from him this season.
  • Sturt: he is getting noticed for starting to get the importance of bringing pressure as something you can control, help you work yourself into and impact the game. He mentioned same as Walters who had to come to that realisation before he started to find his form in the forward line
  • Tabs: is healthy and looking really fit. seemed pretty confident with his health heading into the season
  • Corbett: said he is doing well mentioned that its really important to have quality depth on the list
  • Eagles: asked him how he thought they would go... reckons they will do better this year - prob wont make the 8! but their ego took a hit last season and derbies will definitely be danger games for us
  • Other teams he thought would improve: Richmond, Port, Carlton, not clear who will drop out of the 8 - should be a tight season
  • Captain: asked him what he reckoned about two captains. Said his preference is one, but on the coaches trip to USA during the offseason they saw some examples where it worked really well where there was a really strong onfield paired with someone strong with the off field stuff. Said he was really impressed with Pearce standing in last year. Lead with great intent and energy. Really stood out to him initially when he covered as senior coach for JL early in the season
Awesome insights, thanks for sharing.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I can't think of a 2nd year tall forward from recent memory that kicked 40 goals.
Jessie Hogan after being injured for a whole 1st season kicked 44 & won the rising star award from 20 games. Was training at the club a year before normal drafting but not allowed to play AFL.

Naughton kicked 32 - 27 in his 2nd year after playing the first as a defender.

Amiss has currently kicked 4-1 from his 3 games. I suspect if he has 59 scoring shots in 2023 he would kick 40 goals.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I can't think of a 2nd year tall forward from recent memory that kicked 40 goals.
Will have to go back and have a look at the stats but pretty sure Jeremy Cameron had a good second year. Even more impressive when you consider that he was doing it at GWS- who were getting thrashed at the time.
Edit: Cameron kicked 62 goals and made All Australian in his second year playing AFL. What a freak!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back