Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Many coaches have said over the years you build defensive discipline first and it seems to me Nicks has done that. Either way, we werent defensive this year and with Rankine and other smalls only getting better we should remain an offensive powerhouse (and thats barely assuming Fog and TT pull their finger out after underwhelming years this year). Both notable under-performers in the B&F

Absolutely. You have to bed that disciple in whilst a team is young and losing and I agree, Nicks was successful at that. It's a lot harder once they start to rack up wins.

I do think we went into this year with the intention to be a defensive side, seeing how hard we pushed into a counter-attacking style and how we tended to own the ball this year (seeing we had on average 20+ more disposals then the opponents). To me, it seems like we planned to nullify the midfield sector as heavily as possible. I don't think we quite anticipated how well suited we were to that, alongside Dawson breaking out into a star midfielder - and one built for that style of play. The good thing is that shouldn't go anywhere for a while.

I also think that's a particularly harsh rating for Fogarty. He had a good season, especially in the face of our main guy becoming white hot. Also managed to up his impact around the ground a bit which is super promising moving forward.

TT on the other hand - well, this year just looks like a pump games into him and if we get anything out of it, great kind of deal. He also did well, considering the hand he was dealt - after all, low TOG and sharing a stacked forward line isn't exactly conducive of performance. I do think we'll pay a bit to keep him - after all, a large portion of our flag hopes do rest on his and Racheles shoulders.

I also think you can toss out those BnF results as a metric to judge performance. There seems to be a bias affecting results, seeing Murphy, Keays and Jones all top-10'd. Looks like we've gone hard for bravery and doing the team thing more than production.

I'm sure it's more about posturing for a better deal than intending to retain McAdam, but I do think this is an opportunity to play hard ball, Melb have no chance to pick him up in PSD so they have to deal.
Absolutely time to play hard ball. McAdam is seen as best 22 here and I don’t believe he hates the club or playing group, just wanted the better deal at Melbourne. We have already upped our offer to 3 years, so if we get closer on the money maybe he ends up staying if Melbourne don’t satisfy our requirements.

The Bulldogs giving all that up for a 170cm forward and hawthorn's insane contract for Chol... For all his faults thank * Reid doesn't do deals like those...
I think he learnt his lesson with the Gibbs deal in giving up way too much in a trade, because since then we have done well in pick swaps and not overpaying for players in a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he learnt his lesson with the Gibbs deal in giving up way too much in a trade, because since then we have done well in pick swaps and not overpaying for players in a trade.

JHF - offered three firsts.

We haven't learned that "lesson" at all. Heck, we were apparently only a year off Hawks offer for Chol and that doesn't make a lick of sense as a player to target.

Youd rather we blow it on a bid next year would you?..

Tyler welsh will be top 10 next year.. potentially top 5..

He’s ranked top 3 at the moment.

And we wont have a top 10 pick… and if we do, its cause we yet again didnt make finals and there will be hell to pay for Nicksy, roo and the team..

Pump the breaks on this Welsh talk FFS.

Last edited:
JHF - offered three firsts.

We haven't learned that "lesson" at all. Heck, we were apparently only a year off Hawks offer for Chol and that doesn't make a lick of sense as a player to target.
Three firsts seems to be the going rate for a pick at the top of the draft.

I don't hate the JHF deal, considering one of the picks was Melbourne's and we were getting NM's 2nd back - so we were just moving back a couple of spots.

Would have meant no Rachele though.

I don't really rate Chol, so I'm glad that didn't happen. At least we were more realistic than Hawthorn.

Absolutely. You have to bed that disciple in whilst a team is young and losing and I agree, Nicks was successful at that. It's a lot harder once they start to rack up wins.

I do think we went into this year with the intention to be a defensive side, seeing how hard we pushed into a counter-attacking style and how we tended to own the ball this year (seeing we had on average 20+ more disposals then the opponents). To me, it seems like we planned to nullify the midfield sector as heavily as possible. I don't think we quite anticipated how well suited we were to that, alongside Dawson breaking out into a star midfielder - and one built for that style of play. The good thing is that shouldn't go anywhere for a while.

I also think that's a particularly harsh rating for Fogarty. He had a good season, especially in the face of our main guy becoming white hot. Also managed to up his impact around the ground a bit which is super promising moving forward.

TT on the other hand - well, this year just looks like a pump games into him and if we get anything out of it, great kind of deal. He also did well, considering the hand he was dealt - after all, low TOG and sharing a stacked forward line isn't exactly conducive of performance. I do think we'll pay a bit to keep him - after all, a large portion of our flag hopes do rest on his and Racheles shoulders.

I also think you can toss out those BnF results as a metric to judge performance. There seems to be a bias affecting results, seeing Murphy, Keays and Jones all top-10'd. Looks like we've gone hard for bravery and doing the team thing more than production.
agree with a lot of this but IMO Fog was one of the only true underwhelming players this year. I think he went backwards relative to his breakout second half of 2022 - not improved further. Yes perhaps my words chosen were a tad OTT but his reported top 3-4 salary at the club (700k+) just means I expected more from him,, esp as so many other players had career best years (Rankine, Hinge, Jones, Murray etc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back