Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overrated imo, big tease like O’Brien
We haven’t seen a great deal of him as a forward. I feel that’s what we have in mind.

We’re into TDK

Good to hear. He's exactly the type of player we need and we have the bank available.

If we can also fashion Duursma out of Port that would be an A++ off season.

Note: The $750K Tom & Jom salary liabilities settle this year. The bank should be available to transact on both those players.

Do we have the draft capital?

We haven’t seen a great deal of him as a forward. I feel that’s what we have in mind.
Might be better to target a genuine key forward then? Rather than a ruck who might be able to pinch hit. We have already got a couple of those.

Backing Ramsden for that role that TDK would play

Big year for Ramma

Top 5 draft pick and McCabe

Would like Gresham
At least 6 clubs have better draft hands than us at a time when we are towards the bottom, that’s not enough to move up quickly. Even dees 2xr1 and 2xr2 and dogs with 2xr1 arguably better placed. We need to get aggressive at a minimum we need another r1 pick this year. We seemingly don’t have much player capital to secure picks so hoping given recent years we are all over cap dump opportunities. Open to trading 2024 r1 for right price if we think we will move up a bit. Going to be a fascinating season.

At least 6 clubs have better draft hands than us at a time when we are towards the bottom, that’s not enough to move up quickly. Even dees 2xr1 and 2xr2 and dogs with 2xr1 arguably better placed. We need to get aggressive at a minimum we need another r1 pick this year. We seemingly don’t have much player capital to secure picks so hoping given recent years we are all over cap dump opportunities. Open to trading 2024 r1 for right price if we think we will move up a bit. Going to be a fascinating season.
The hand matters far less than what you do with it. There's ample evidence for that. Arbitrary first rounders for the sake of having first rounders isn't going to make us automatically better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d typically agree with what you’re saying however, I think we’ve absolutely nailed the last few drafts, and almost hit the lottery with Duke which puts us right up there amongst those teams you’re comparing us to. If we can continue getting our development program right, I think we’ve more than made up any ground we may have lost by not having numerous high draft picks.

(Rose coloured I know…)

The question isn't how many first round picks, rather how many players have we drafted that you'd be happy taking with a decent first round pick after the fact. Day, Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie that's a full midfield rebuild right there.

We ended up with two first rounders last year without giving up a future first. We will be fine.

We ended up with two first rounders last year without giving up a future first. We will be fine.

We gave up a lot for pick 18 - a late first rounder. That's the deal on paper.

But if Weddle turns into the player the club thinks he might then it will have been worth it. I think MM and his team have drafted well recently.

What exactly does 'get aggressive' mean?

Force Collingwood at gunpoint to take Josh Morris for their first rounder?

I hear 'we need to be aggressive' every year, and no-one can explain what they mean, except that we will somehow magically trade junk-bonds for blue-chip.

I reckon MM and co. pulling the trigger on the pick 18 trade was the club being aggressive.

The question isn't how many first round picks, rather how many players have we drafted that you'd be happy taking with a decent first round pick after the fact. Day, Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie that's a full midfield rebuild right there.
Absolutely. Those 5 could all be top shelf. We have plenty of promising midfield depth too, the midfield is set for a generation

We need big guys and while there are some quality options at this years draft, we could really do with players who have at least a couple of years in the system. Ready to go.

That might take some risky trading

I’d typically agree with what you’re saying however, I think we’ve absolutely nailed the last few drafts, and almost hit the lottery with Duke which puts us right up there amongst those teams you’re comparing us to. If we can continue getting our development program right, I think we’ve more than made up any ground we may have lost by not having numerous high draft picks.

(Rose coloured I know…)
We've done well the last couple of drafts but I still think we need to cast the net wide and draft as many young talents as we can later in the year. If fringe players are not showing any improvement move them on.

You’d think looking at our list at least one elite tall (but likely more) is on the wish list. Maybe that’s McCabe as f/s or maybe our first pick (but may be hard to turn down an elite mid).

But if Kosi and Jeka don’t progress and Lewis remains injury prone we need more than hoping ramsden makes it.

You wouldn’t have thought we’re yet in a list position to go all in on an expensive trade like TDK (if he even wanted to play for us) - but club is impatient (as we saw from weddle trade).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back