2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get Rioli and Dusty it’s got all the hallmarks of the Lions just before they were consistently top 4
On paper it is exciting enough.

I think we are a winger short. But Rioli for Weller is an instant swap there that could work.

I wouldn’t be expecting much from a player like Dusty though. Probably would only place half a season at best. But can’t deny the star power and media hype it would give us but.

I’d put all three picks on the table and see who we can land. Hopefully we’ve shown enough this season for some players to take a punt (like Neale did at the Lions, as he looked at the stats and thought they were likely to rise). Lions got top tier after Neale then Dunkley.

With Ellis retiring, I’d be expecting quite a few more big changes come end of the year on our end.

On paper it is exciting enough.

I think we are a winger short. But Rioli for Weller is an instant swap there that could work.

I wouldn’t be expecting much from a player like Dusty though. Probably would only place half a season at best. But can’t deny the star power and media hype it would give us but.

I’d put all three picks on the table and see who we can land. Hopefully we’ve shown enough this season for some players to take a punt (like Neale did at the Lions, as he looked at the stats and thought they were likely to rise). Lions got top tier after Neale then Dunkley.

With Ellis retiring, I’d be expecting quite a few more big changes come end of the year on our end.
Maybe Witts might hang up the boots?
Been a rough year…. Injuries and even when he plays he looks cooked
Shadow of his former self

Dusty in a forward pocket would mean we don't have to rush the likes of Rogers and can let them develop. Rosas is our only consistent goal scoring small forward currently, so another one wouldn't hurt. You also wouldn't take him over to WA, so give him a couple of weeks off in the year and others would get an opportunity.

This of course is assuming he wants to play on. 2 years of Dusty would be handy IMO.

Dusty in a forward pocket would mean we don't have to rush the likes of Rogers and can let them develop. Rosas is our only consistent goal scoring small forward currently, so another one wouldn't hurt. You also wouldn't take him over to WA, so give him a couple of weeks off in the year and others would get an opportunity.

This of course is assuming he wants to play on. 2 years of Dusty would be handy IMO.

Malceski 2.0 injured retirement fund

People once again getting all hyped over a VFL journos reporting
At times they do bring it on themselves though.....
Nothing to do with Rioli..... but on Midweek Tackle today, Lansberger commented on the Bulldogs-Dees came tomorrow night stating....
The Bulldogs have got a tough game coming against the Dees, as they're coming off a 5 day break and a flight back from Sydney

Are you kidding me.....a 1hr flight back from Sydney is going to make it tough for them.......

They live in their own Melbourne bubble......and on a different note he also opposes Academies being able to be selected by father-sons players as their Club of choice.......those players should always go to the Club their father played for......and the Academies should have no say in it.

If we get Rioli and Dusty it’s got all the hallmarks of the Lions just before they were consistently top 4
It definitely sounds like we're getting Rioli. We'll have to pay overs because he still has three years to run on his current contract, but that's what comes with chasing contracted players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch the Dan Rioli deal fall in a heap now.
No doubt the club is Saying, you don’t want to play for a wooden spooner when you could live in the sunshine of the GC and barely avoid the spoon

Anyone see this from yesterday?
It comes as the game’s greatest modern goalkicker, Lance Franklin, is being courted to make a footy comeback in an ambassadorial mentoring role in the northern states.

The Herald Sun understands the AFL is “keen” for Franklin to help promote the game in the northern states. No decision has yet been made, but those discussions will likely ramp up in the coming months.

A handful of clubs, including the Suns, have also approached him to help mentor their young talent or play a role in the academies. However, he has no intention of taking on a coaching role in any capacity.

As part of this year’s Sir Doug Nicholls Round in May, Franklin flew to Darwin for the AFL to take part in an Auskick session.

The Suns would seem like a natural fit if Franklin decided to link up with a club, given his close friendship with Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans, who worked closely with him at Hawthorn.

And then there is this that was reported earlier today:
Power couple Buddy and Jesinta Franklin are selling their glamorous Mediterranean-style property on the Gold Coast with plans to build a luxury farmhouse.

The couple are excited to dive into their next project, a luxury farmhouse that will “100 per cent” be on the Gold Coast.

“We couldn’t imagine living anywhere else,” she said.

“The lifestyle we have up here is incomparable and we feel so lucky we get to raise our kids here.”

The AFL wants Buddy to come out of retirement to help promote the game in the "northern states" and he's apparently keen to do so. He and his wife are just about to launch into a new housing project that will "100% be on the Gold Coast" and Jesinta has been quoted as recently as today as saying they couldn't imagine living anywhere else. So that basically means if Buddy does make a comeback then it'd either be with us or the Lions. We seem to have greater links to Buddy through Mark Evans and even Dimma in his Hawthorn days. Plus, it's pretty obvious our young key forwards need an experienced player around them to show them the way.

The question has to be asked - are we about to sign Buddy Franklin? He's not interested in coaching so to be a "mentor" I'd imagine you would have to be a player...

He will be 38 by the start of next season, he isn't playing AFL. And if we offer him money to play we should be folded. No ****ing way
Anyone see this from yesterday?

And then there is this that was reported earlier today:

The AFL wants Buddy to come out of retirement to help promote the game in the "northern states" and he's apparently keen to do so. He and his wife are just about to launch into a new housing project that will "100% be on the Gold Coast" and Jesinta has been quoted as recently as today as saying they couldn't imagine living anywhere else. So that basically means if Buddy does make a comeback then it'd either be with us or the Lions. We seem to have greater links to Buddy through Mark Evans and even Dimma in his Hawthorn days. Plus, it's pretty obvious our young key forwards need an experienced player around them to show them the way.

The question has to be asked - are we about to sign Buddy Franklin? He's not interested in coaching so to be a "mentor" I'd imagine you would have to be a player...

Some hard calls at the end of the year. Or easy, depending on your views.

I’d expect big cuts though. We have to be ruthless.

Ellis already retired.

Casboult or Day. We probably choose one and the other retires.

MacPherson. Tsitas. Ace. All have been around a while and clearly aren’t at the level.

Faulkhead likely done (if he doesn’t get a game after today in the backend of the season). We need a winger, but hasn’t been given a chance.

Then, from last night, we replace Holman, Johnston, Fiorini, Sexton, Swallow and send them all to VFL as depth to return as sub or with injury as needed. Possibly even cut one of them completely.

To replace them? Bring in Lombard. Get Rogers up to level. Get Ainsworth and Touk back.

Then we bring in two recruits to add experience and try and lift the team that extra 5%. A halfback, small forward or winger (those potential options have been discussed. We’ll see what happens).

Then, cheaply get rookies or draftees to replace those culled. Maybe even one or two more academy boys. Keep the cap low in the VFL. Save room for a “big fish” that we have been screaming out for. The fans need something to pin their hope to…

Would we still be interested in acquiring Josh Rachele to accompany Rosas in creating some forward half pressure?
I would be interested in acquiring any small forward that averages more than 0.4 goals a game (Holman) or 0.2 goals a game (Berry).

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back