Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, there will be quite a few picks in the first round up for grabs for points - GCS, Brisbane, Carlton.

Getting ourselves in the right position - like we did last year - that will be the issue
The AFL are highly likely to make changes to Academy and F/S for this years draft so, if they do, GC, Bris & Carlton won't be auctioning their first rounders as clubs have done in previous years.

We also don't have a particularly strong set of picks to be grabbing those high picks that may be on offer. No player we let go will be worth much, most nothing at all.

Out 2025 first could be a top 4 pick again. Should be off limits.
Especially because Dyson Sharp is the best young mid out of SA in forever, and is also the exact type of mid we need.

Only problem with Sharp is that the way he’s tracking, we might need to win another spoon in 2025 to get him.

The AFL are highly likely to make changes to Academy and F/S for this years draft so, if they do, GC, Bris & Carlton won't be auctioning their first rounders as clubs have done in previous years.

We also don't have a particularly strong set of picks to be grabbing those high picks that may be on offer. No player we let go will be worth much, most nothing at all.
If they do one of the Camporeale lads might be an option for us because Vossy's already going ballistic that they may not be able to scra,ble the collateral to get both?

If Sid Draper is our man, would we trade down and hope to pick up another second rounder. We really need to hit this draft and make every pick count

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think he will need a top 5 pick unfortunately meaning we can't. There are 2 topline mids not available as they are tied to clubs and that leaves draper in the bunch for the top 5 or 6 imo

Really the only ways are splitting 4 (no), or using the 2025 1st (maybe, but I’d like to keep this just in case NWM becomes available)
We cannot trade down this year. We need to keep our top 5 pick and get the best available mid. The tactic of getting as many first rounders as possible has not worked and we have failed to get access to a genuine A grade mid at the pointy end of the draft.

Trade next years 1st into this year if we want another 1st, no way I would be splitting our pick 4/5.

Especially because Dyson Sharp is the best young mid out of SA in forever, and is also the exact type of mid we need.

Only problem with Sharp is that the way he’s tracking, we might need to win another spoon in 2025 to get him.
So should we make a priority of getting either North Melbourne or West Coast’s 1st pick next year? That seems our best chance to get Sharp. Especially if we keep our 1st for next year too. He does look the most exciting prospect since JHF.

So should we make a priority of getting either North Melbourne or West Coast’s 1st pick next year? That seems our best chance to get Sharp. Especially if we keep our 1st for next year too. He does look the most exciting prospect since JHF.
I would be going hard for any of North, West Coast or Richmond’s 2025 firsts yes. Probably wait until the 2025 offseason to do so though. Gotta take the elite mid in the top 5 this year. More future pick trading options next year to entice a club into trading a Sharp pick to us.

It’s also entirely possible that we finish 13th-16th in 2025, and that Sharp ends up ranked in the pick 3-6 range, which would mean our own incompetence would eliminate the need for such a trade. Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it affect decision making?

I'm not really having a go. I saw very little of him prior to this season.
All of the SA boys were guilty of indiscriminate handballs to no-one in particular. I dont know whether it was part of the planning but it sure did not work.

His change of direction, speed and lateral movement will complement our current crop of players. Think of Serong.

All of the SA boys were guilty of indiscriminate handballs to no-one in particular. I dont know whether it was part of the planning but it sure did not work.

His change of direction, speed and lateral movement will complement our current crop of players. Think of Serong.
Is he the same at South ie following your ''its a directive'' thinking - is there a stark difference between game styles

I ask because the game against VC we looked very formulaic where VC looked more instinctive

I think I noted we looked like Mini-AFC with down the line kicks handball out of trouble etc

My boy big bodied mid/forward Sam Lalor looked back to full beast mode on the weekend, had a slow start to the season missing a big chunk of the preseason with hip/groin and then a foot issue after he finally resumed at APS level with a 8 goal game playing mostly forward.
Played his first Coates League game for season 2024 for the GWV Rebels and smoked the Bushies mids with a 34 disposal, 22 kicks, 12 Hballs, 8 Marks, 5 tackles, 9 i50's, 4 r50's...Look out when he gets the full run back into his legs.

My boy big bodied mid/forward Sam Lalor looked back to full beast mode on the weekend, had a slow start to the season missing a big chunk of the preseason with hip/groin and then a foot issue after he finally resumed at APS level with a 8 goal game playing mostly forward.
Played his first Coates League game for season 2024 for the GWV Rebels and smoked the Bushies mids with a 34 disposal, 22 kicks, 12 Hballs, 8 Marks, 5 tackles, 9 i50's, 4 r50's...Look out when he gets the full run back into his legs.
He was incredible. I have him in the pick 1 convo now.

He was incredible. I have him in the pick 1 convo now.

To quote Shane Crawford "That's what I'm talkin' about"

See my avatar.

Maybe people can see why I've compared him to Dusty as an 18 year old at the Bendigo Pioneers.....look out when he gets up to full fitness after going through 6 months of niggles and worse. Also as good on the cricket field.

Good to see the big ranga Flynn Penry back too.

Looks a gun. Looks the whole package who is good at stoppages,tough inside, good skills, good pace and hits the scoreboard. Would be happy with him with our first pick.

Vic Metro run out comfortable winners in the end.
VM 15.16 106
WA 10.13 73

Jagga Smith with 34 d's 13k's 21hb's 5 clearances a really clever inside accumulator with exemplary skills but from a Crows perspective I really like the look of WA's Luke Urquhart 27 d's 14k's 13hb's 5 clearances with his explosiveness and hard nosed approach
I like Urquhart's work at the stoppage, he excels in that area. Love how he gets the ball on the go at the stoppage. My only concern with him is his kicking especially under pressure.

Looks a gun. Looks the whole package who is good at stoppages,tough inside, good skills, good pace and hits the scoreboard. Would be happy with him with our first pick.
I've seen him use the Dusty/Harley fend off to great effect as well last year as an underager, he's a real bull of a lad.

I like Urquhart's work at the stoppage, he excels in that area. Love how he gets the ball on the go at the stoppage. My only concern with him is his kicking especially under pressure.
That acceleration and straight ahead pace from stoppage is very enticing, probably don't have a pick in his range unless we delve into 2025 draft collateral.

That acceleration and straight ahead pace from stoppage is very enticing, probably don't have a pick in his range unless we delve into 2025 draft collateral.
I think we definitely need players who have power at the stoppage and ability to burst away from the stoppage. He fits the bill. Wouldn't be disappointed to pick him up if we maged to get another late first round pick. I want to see more of his kicking under pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back