Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought his kicking under pressure wasn’t great today but was ok after a free kick/mark
I think kicking is one of the areas for improvement for Urquhart, but in a year where Chad Warner has emerged as a star of the competition, I don't his kicking is any worse than his at the same point in their careers.

Too early to call Draper to the Crows?

Adelaide probably finish with pick 4-6. Doesn't look like Draper will do enough to be picked top 3, but he is close enough to that next group, that you'd think Adelaide pick the local boy even if it ends up being a slight reach.

Adelaide probably finish with pick 4-6. Doesn't look like Draper will do enough to be picked top 3, but he is close enough to that next group, that you'd think Adelaide pick the local boy even if it ends up being a slight reach.

You would assume so.

I think they would be pretty happy with that at a natural selection, given they will have targeted him a few years out.

FOS - North
Smillie - Richmond
WCE - Jagga
Draper - Crows

Are my mid season likely club fits at the moment.

I could see a scenario in which Smillie and FOS end up at Richmond and North irrelevant of ladder position. The only change to that may be WCE finishing below either of them.

I think Jagga compliments Reid and Ginbey quite nicely as a accumulator who can run all day. A bit like Gaff in that respect.

Unless WCE opt to plan for life after Barrass and McGovern with Trainor.

Last edited:

Seems like it lines up pretty well at this stage. He's the type they need as well to inject a bit of speed and dynamism into their midfield. At least from the outside looking in.

I do think there's a decent possibility that Draper keeps improving over the rest of the year as he builds his fitness base having missed all the pre-season more or less and the first two months of the season proper. Could yet end up pushing himself into the top 3 if he has a big end to the season playing SANFL for South Adelaide.

Spoke to my Uncle yesterday who's a scout over in WA for one of the big VIC clubs and he said the talent pool this year is so bad in WA that he's wondering if there's actually going to be enough games he'll need to go and watch this season to justify his position for the year. Obviously as seasons unfold the talent unearth themselves but not a great sign for WA after a downish year last year too.

Don't know much about the crop myself yet just passing on what he said.
Looked pretty bloody good on the weekend don't you think?

Looked pretty bloody good on the weekend don't you think?
Absolutely. I'd like to know how he didn't know about Urquhart, absolute beast that kid!

As I said though, I didn't know sfa about the WA crop this year. Was just passing on what he'd mentioned to me when he was over in Melbourne earlier in the year. Said he's more excited for the 2025 crop over there so I'd love to see how they end up next season, should be some rippers.

Absolutely. I'd like to know how he didn't know about Urquhart, absolute beast that kid!

As I said though, I didn't know sfa about the WA crop this year. Was just passing on what he'd mentioned to me when he was over in Melbourne earlier in the year. Said he's more excited for the 2025 crop over there so I'd love to see how they end up next season, should be some rippers.
We best fasten our seat belts for 2025 then because I thought all of Urquhart, Allan, Rohr, Gerryn, Petersen, Banfield, Hayes and Champion looked too have AFL attributes, not sure if any a=there are 2025?

You would assume so.

I think they would be pretty happy with that at a natural selection, given they will have targeted him a few years out.

FOS - North
Smillie - Richmond
WCE - Jagga
Draper - Crows

I could see a scenario in which Smillie and FOS end up at Richmond and North irrelevant of ladder position. The only change to that may be WCE finishing below either of them.

I think Jagga compliments Reid and Ginbey quite nicely as a accumulator who can run all day. A bit like Gaff in that respect.

Are you saying North would take FOS with pick 1 but Richmond would take Smillie at 1? How do you reason that?

I will be furious if Richmond turns down the chance to draft FOS

We best fasten our seat belts for 2025 then because I thought all of Urquhart, Allan, Rohr, Gerryn, Petersen, Banfield, Hayes and Champion looked too have AFL attributes, not sure if any a=there are 2025?
Banfield is 2025, and I think Rohr is an overager?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would assume so.

FOS - North
Smillie - Richmond
WCE - Jagga
Draper - Crows

WCE wont be taking Jagga, could see us reaching for a Lalor or going with Draper over Jagga

Are you saying North would take FOS with pick 1 but Richmond would take Smillie at 1? How do you reason that?

I will be furious if Richmond turns down the chance to draft FOS

Yes I think there’s a possibility Richmond would take Smillie at 1.

I also think there’s a likelihood North would take FOS over Smillie at 1.

Yes, if the thought internally LDU was definitely leaving, it’s a big possibility.

Smillie is absolutely ideal to start a rebuild with.
Super Grover What GIF by Sesame Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back