Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 14: Brisbane Lions v St Kilda Saints, Friday 14th of June 7:40pm AEST, Gabba, Brisbane, Yugerra, Toorabul

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kids don’t always get smacked

2iCyMW8.png

qtgyol4.jpeg
These articles assuming their genders is offensive

Re: “The Shoe”
This could be a tad dramatic but it could be a case of an execution-on-arrival for an aspiring defender. Coming in with high expectations, high stakes game, and with the regular key position player (Howard) replaced by an out-of-form second-stringer (Cordy).
Remember a promising player by ye name of Highmore. He was a prospect. Then with Howard out, he got a guernsey against Essendon. We got pantsed. Highmore was exposed and overwhelmed. Néver recovered. De-listed.

Re: “The Shoe”
This could be a tad dramatic but it could be a case of an execution-on-arrival for an aspiring defender. Coming in with high expectations, high stakes game, and with the regular key position player (Howard) replaced by an out-of-form second-stringer (Cordy).
Remember a promising player by ye name of Highmore. He was a prospect. Then with Howard out, he got a guernsey against Essendon. We got pantsed. Highmore was exposed and overwhelmed. Néver recovered. De-listed.

Jackson Ferguson probably an even more famous 'thrown to the wolves' story. I think we'll handle Shoey ok though.

Wonder if we'll hand him the kick in duties straight up. Good way to get him a kick early.

Agree with a few posts ago. Don't want to see Ben Brown kicking 5 goals on Jackson Ferguson in the first quarter again.

Think it was actually Aaron Black who kicked 5 for North and then basically did nothing else after that match. He ended up at Geelong and then at Geelong’s VFL side where he was sensationally whacked by Sydney’s Paddy McCartin, leading to Paddy’s suspension.

What I really want to see from the Saints tomorrow is a directive to use Arie at every opportunity.

Not only giving him some kick-out duties, but also giving him Dougal's role of being there around half-back, pushing up as a switch/back-out option. His kicking is good enough to turn a retreat into an attack.

If he does have a bag kicked on him, whatever - I want to see him rack up a 20+ disposal game with the assistance of his teammates. Help him hit the ground running. Would be massive for his confidence, and would give us a completely different look with ball movement options.

If the opposition see that we're doing that and put a defensive forward on him, that's also a feather in his cap and will assist us in other ways.

From what I've seen so far in the VFL we might not be able to expect much from him defensively, but bloody hope he goes after and nails his kicks.

Good luck to the young man, and loved that he told his mum "I love you" on the video for the whole world to see.

If it s reported as personal reasons. Why do we as fans need any insights

Exactly.

I’m not interested in the reasons although I am interested in his availability for tomorrow night’s game. Any relationship between him possibly missing and Arie being selected?

In any event the team will be announced in a few hours and then we’ll know more.

Not sure why people get hung up on this. He’s a big bloke who will probably play on another bloke a similar size, like most defenders. He won’t be lining up on Cameron or Lohmann, will he? Maybe he’s allowed to float, but even then, he’ll still need to defend someone, and that probably won’t be the really quick forwards. That probably makes him a key defender, but it’s a bit irrelevant at the end of the day.

I don't think he's a KPD is all. More third tall interceptor with licence to use his kicking. It's not hung up, it's more observation from watching him in the VFL. Maybe just don't read the stuff that upsets you boss.

What I really want to see from the Saints tomorrow is a directive to use Arie at every opportunity.

Not only giving him some kick-out duties, but also giving him Dougal's role of being there around half-back, pushing up as a switch/back-out option. His kicking is good enough to turn a retreat into an attack.

If he does have a bag kicked on him, whatever - I want to see him rack up a 20+ disposal game with the assistance of his teammates. Help him hit the ground running. Would be massive for his confidence, and would give us a completely different look with ball movement options.

If the opposition see that we're doing that and put a defensive forward on him, that's also a feather in his cap and will assist us in other ways.

From what I've seen so far in the VFL we might not be able to expect much from him defensively, but bloody hope he goes after and nails his kicks.

Good luck to the young man, and loved that he told his mum "I love you" on the video for the whole world to see.
Ooooh! Dougal’s role…

Imagine how far out of bounds he could kick the ball after doing a dosey-doh spin with his defender after marking in the pocket and playing on! Worth staying up for!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he's a KPD is all. More third tall interceptor with licence to use his kicking. It's not hung up, it's more observation from watching him in the VFL. Maybe just don't read the stuff that upsets you boss.
Mate, I’m a St Kilda supporter on BigFooty, it all upsets me!

Maybe a bit philosophical but what is a key defender? To me, it’s just someone who plays on a key forward (tall, contested marking forwards who are the main targets in attack). I can’t see Schoenmaker going on a Cameron type, so to me he’s a key defender.

I have this sickly feeling that Rossco is going to deliver another one of those masterclasses this weekend where we win with our backs against the wall and it’s going to renew hope into all saints supporters that finals is a possibility just as we were getting excited about pick 4 & 5.

We're going to storm home into 9th

I don't know what he will be , we will see.

Some people call Siciliy a key defender and he is 1.88 , teams are looking at Battle to be a key defender and he is 1.93 and Sheomaker is 1.94 - so if you are judging key defenders by height he fits the bill - it has to be remembered May , Rance and Silvangi are only 1.93.

To me Wilkie is a key defender when he is put say a Buddy Franklin and whoever replaced Howard last week who was playing on Ben King become a key defender.
So whoever they play on determines what they are really.

Cool story bro....

But he never played against Essendon in his 16 senior games with us.

1718254579669.png

1718254634896.png

PS: From what I recall he was a decent intercept mark, but his defensive skills were poor and his kicks tended to be floaters.

Last edited:
I don't know what he will be , we will see.

Some people call Siciliy a key defender and he is 1.88 , teams are looking at Battle to be a key defender and he is 1.93 and Sheomaker is 1.94 - so if you are judging key defenders by height he fits the bill - it has to be remembered May , Rance and Silvangi are only 1.93.

To me Wilkie is a key defender when he is put say a Buddy Franklin and whoever replaced Howard last week who was playing on Ben King become a key defender.
So whoever they play on determines what they are really.

Not just his height.
I think he doesn't really play that way.
He's probably more like Sicily who i don't regard a key defender despite what you typed above.

Wilkie plays like a key defender.
People thought that Roberton and Logan were key defenders but not really.

Has he got a good leap for spoiling?

He's not really shown a lot when one on one defending from what I've seen. He gets out into space and the others look to get the ball in his hands to distribute. He seems a good solid mark but not many I've noticed are contested. He doesn't really stand out apart from his kicking and his ability to be in good spots to take the ball and he gets a lot of touches.

He seems to intercept like Battle, has a role like Bonner and a boot like Daniel Rich. That's why he comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back