Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 16: St Kilda Saints v Port Adelaide Power, Marvel Stadium, Sunday June 30th 1:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking of defence (and all this Battle rumouring this week), does it raise anyone’s eyebrow to see Darragh Joyce playing for Brisbane in the big lights tonight?
He’s played a handful of games for them I believe

Today we looked like a rebuilding club, it was probably the saddest I've felt watching us. Wednesday was a more positive session in comparison, we just didn't look like many players were up and about.

We seem to be persisting with this manic ball game plan. Lots of short risky 10-15m kicks and hospital handballs and always seemingly under pressure.

Nearly a full list to pick from, but we just lack passion or emotion or something. Maybe I'm just struggling a bit and couldn't see it today.

If I was to pick someone out it would be King, he was dominant. But that was against Cordy, Allison and occasionally Hammer and Keels so I'm tempering expectations. Howard is close to resuming full training but is almost the only one recovering- Hayes and Van Es obviously not there.

Arie trained well, credit where it's due, we just need the ball in his hands at every opportunity.

Henry did well when in the thick of it, hopefully he's 70% or more in the midfield this week.

Hugo and Hastie have some alpha energy going on, but in completely different ways. Gus in a fun laid back, surfer alpha vibe and Hugo in a would bite the head off a bat to scare the shit out of you vibe. As for Hugo, he trained really well today.

Pou working (well) on his movement in close, he's going to be special when it clicks. I don't care if he's built differently in his preparation, so was Rooey.

Wilson is struggling with decision making/composure with both kicking and handballing. First year player and his endurance makes up for any shortcomings but he's got improvements to make.

Both Nas and Bon looked really off. Nas with the old biting off more than he could chew and Bon with his trademark two or three coach killer shanks. Wilkie and Arie really showed them up today.

Lancey boy looked disinterested for the most part, in match sim he impressed at times - a really tough nut to crack. I'm sure he's fine, but his demeanour really worries me sometimes - from a personal pov not club pov.

Anyway, I'm lost and a bit disillusioned, can't predict us. Part of me thinks we'll stuff up plenty of short kicks, get a few called play on and lose the game from the turnovers.

I want to win, but then I'm already looking at the draft and realistically we need access to top talents. I like our ins and outs, would've preferred Stock for Bon as well and surprised Hugo can't crack another game. Perhaps we are developing a nice relationship between a few kids in the middle at Sandy.

Can't really fault the selections for this week, Ross is backing in our youngsters that deserve a game and dropping the deadwood.

Finals are off the table for us this year so it's all about building for another finals tilt next year and seeing who will be a part of it.

Hammer and Sharman will be forward with Ming, Hammer would then be the swingman if needed in defense as opposed to Sharman previously more than likely.

Of more interest is Jimmy slotting in, though reality is that probably just pushes Sincs to mid.
Ross Lyon already said Caminiti is playing full time defence

Being very generous calling Cooper Sharman a key forward given that Caminiti is most likely to play in defence.
Richmond won a flag with only one. Collingwood had Mihocek and Mason Cox, Melbourne’s key forwards were ordinary at best. They’re not as important as most people think.

Well if that's the case then it's not hard to join the dots and say bye bye Battle.
I think with Dougal out they just want some more height in the backline. There’s too many 197cm+ forwards these days to just roll out there with Battle and Wilkie who aren’t key position height.

I think Sharman comes in for Cordy this week - Sharman forward, Caminiti back. King Sharman Row/Campbell as a trio will be interesting
I feel like Lyon needs to be acknowledged for being experimental and rolling out some really worthwhile R&D.

I didn't see Caminiti playing in defence coming but I must admit he did some small things behind the ball that grabbed my attention. I'm now really looking forward to seeing how he develops from here.

I know I don't rate Sharman, I am still cynical he can play AFL but with Caminiti being trialled down back I'd like to give Sharman the benefit of doubt and see if he and King can form a successful combo and grow some connection and synergy. Sharman for mine needs to grab this opportunity because his time will be running out fast if he doesn’t cement a spot in our best 23 before seasons end.

But our forward line issues will be significantly improved if King starts delivering on expectations, it will be a joy to finally see him working his defender into the ground like a genuine Winx to constantly be probing fot the space to lead into, and if the space closes up then alternatively it would be a magnificent sight to see him compete aerially in a physically contested way...but not from behind the packs.

I'm looking forward to this game, it's winnable for us but our offensive game has to look mostly like how we played Q4 v Lions.

Last edited:
The 2020 season as far as I'm concerned is a massive asterisk for football.
Absolutely...thankfully enough time has past for free thinking folk to be comfortable enough to admit this in public.

Put your hand up if you sponsored a life-size cardboard cut-out of yourself to be placed at any of the 2020 matches...

What a mad time in mankind that whole Covid era was.

Well if that's the case then it's not hard to join the dots and say bye bye Battle.
Not necessarily, has there been some type of indication coming out of the club that they've been in the market for another key back?

Is it the way the current trend is going with regards to having weapons off the backline not only defending but setting play up and creating offensive opportunities?

I think I'm saying it feels like AFL coaches can't get enough of these types into a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond won a flag with only one. Collingwood had Mihocek and Mason Cox, Melbourne’s key forwards were ordinary at best. They’re not as important as most people think.
I agree - but no one's ever called Mason Cox a key forward.

Happy to play King as the sole "key" forward with Sharman, Owens Membrey etc as "tall support".

Today we looked like a rebuilding club, it was probably the saddest I've felt watching us. Wednesday was a more positive session in comparison, we just didn't look like many players were up and about.

We seem to be persisting with this manic ball game plan. Lots of short risky 10-15m kicks and hospital handballs and always seemingly under pressure.

Nearly a full list to pick from, but we just lack passion or emotion or something. Maybe I'm just struggling a bit and couldn't see it today.

If I was to pick someone out it would be King, he was dominant. But that was against Cordy, Allison and occasionally Hammer and Keels so I'm tempering expectations. Howard is close to resuming full training but is almost the only one recovering- Hayes and Van Es obviously not there.

Arie trained well, credit where it's due, we just need the ball in his hands at every opportunity.

Henry did well when in the thick of it, hopefully he's 70% or more in the midfield this week.

Hugo and Hastie have some alpha energy going on, but in completely different ways. Gus in a fun laid back, surfer alpha vibe and Hugo in a would bite the head off a bat to scare the shit out of you vibe. As for Hugo, he trained really well today.

Pou working (well) on his movement in close, he's going to be special when it clicks. I don't care if he's built differently in his preparation, so was Rooey.

Wilson is struggling with decision making/composure with both kicking and handballing. First year player and his endurance makes up for any shortcomings but he's got improvements to make.

Both Nas and Bon looked really off. Nas with the old biting off more than he could chew and Bon with his trademark two or three coach killer shanks. Wilkie and Arie really showed them up today.

Lancey boy looked disinterested for the most part, in match sim he impressed at times - a really tough nut to crack. I'm sure he's fine, but his demeanour really worries me sometimes - from a personal pov not club pov.

Anyway, I'm lost and a bit disillusioned, can't predict us. Part of me thinks we'll stuff up plenty of short kicks, get a few called play on and lose the game from the turnovers.

I want to win, but then I'm already looking at the draft and realistically we need access to top talents. I like our ins and outs, would've preferred Stock for Bon as well and surprised Hugo can't crack another game. Perhaps we are developing a nice relationship between a few kids in the middle at Sandy.
Nice report , Thanks

There have been a number of whispers that things are not great down at Moorabbin and your training report feeds into that. Its concerning but I guess we will find out tomorrow to see what team turns up with their energy and want?

Im guessing we will either have a very good win or get flogged nothing in between.

The difference with those sides is they had medium and small forwards who were dangerous in the air and could take a contested mark. Owens is probably our best medium sized mark but he is still learning the game and if he cant get a straight line run and jump at the ball he struggles. Until we have dominant small and medium sized markers we have to rely on playing three tall forwards its that simple.

I have been banging on about it for years but as a collective group (apart from a few) our contested marking is poor. Include that with our poor ground ball wins, mediocre kicking skills it just opens us up to whats being occurring - easy intercepts and turnovers.

Last edited:
There have been a number of whispers that things are not great down at Moorabbin and your training report feeds into that. Its concerning but I guess we will find out tomorrow to see what team turns up with their energy and want?

Im guessing we will either have a very good win or get flogged nothing in between.
Usually I'd agree, but most RL teams know how to make it close even if we don't play well. Things may well be fine, I didn't notice any disharmony or anything. It just felt like something was lacking, they just didn't seem up and about - if that makes sense.

We could be reading too much into it though as we are generally a bit disillusioned as supporters at the moment.

Usually I'd agree, but most RL teams know how to make it close even if we don't play well. Things may well be fine, I didn't notice any disharmony or anything. It just felt like something was lacking, they just didn't seem up and about - if that makes sense.

We could be reading too much into it though as we are generally a bit disillusioned as supporters at the moment.
Post break blues perhaps?

or bye bye dougal...

Go On Popcorn GIF

A range of sizes is much better than all your eggs in one basket.

What are these whispers you talk about and where is the noise coming from

I would not read that much into it.

What I would read into it is that Caminiti has a future, Cordy does not.

Caminiti play defence at present makes a lot of sense.

Worse case scenario is that it rounds out his game, and makes him concentrate more. It is a nice benefit to be able to swing a key forward back when requite.

Potential upside is he takes to it and becomes either key defender, or third tall defender like Battle. Caminiti is taller than Battle.

If Caminiti stays back then I see as playing say as KD in a different role to Wilkie and Battle.

I would not read that much into it.

What I would read into it is that Caminiti has a future, Cordy does not.

Caminiti play defence at present makes a lot of sense.

Worse case scenario is that it rounds out his game, and makes him concentrate more. It is a nice benefit to be able to swing a key forward back when requite.

Potential upside is he takes to it and becomes either key defender, or third tall defender like Battle. Caminiti is taller than Battle.

If Caminiti stays back then I see as playing say as KD in a different role to Wilkie and Battle.
Caminiti is a big unit, definitely key position size. He’s making it at one end or the other IMO. Got all the athletic tools and competes like his life depends on it.

A range of sizes is much better than all your eggs in one basket.
I always thought when we had the big rivalry with the Cats around 2007-10 ish that the real difference was that they had us covered in the midfield. Sure we had Hayes, BJ and Ball and an aging Banga but the Cats had Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Corey, Ling, Kelly and Stevie J to throw at us. All strong bodies and skilful. More importantly they were regular goal kickers.

We had Rooey and Kosi as tall forwards but they could cover them with Scarlett and Taylor. The Cats got by with Mooney and a young Hawkins as their talls.

For mine it showed the importance of a strong midfield that can win the ball both inside and out and hit the scoreboard. Nothing I've seen since that time has changed my opinion on that.

A team reliant on Ming and a poor midfield only amplifies it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back