Play Nice 2024 AFL TV Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Internal trials starting this weekend.

Will be keeping the ratings thread separate to the attendance thread this year.

Notes

Oztam have now moved completely to VOZ. At present this means no Fox or Kayo streams seem to be appearing on the oztam lists. Reach is now the focus of the Oztam reporting although an average for Linear is still being reported.

* NOTE: NEW METRICS AND REPORTS *

• Total TV Overnight Top 30 and Consolidated 7 Top 30 reach is calculated using cumulative unique audiences watching 1 min of broadcast TV and 15 sec of BVOD.
  • Total TV National audience is calculated using the audience average for the program as time-coded by the Network across 5CM and all regional markets nationally watching on broadcast TV.
  • BVOD national audience is calculated using the total number of minutes watched (multiplied by co-viewing factor) divided by the length of the program.

Will attempt to get as much data as possible, but Oztam not making it easy any more.

Last edited:
Potentially. The unknown factor is how much foxtel's own broadcasts of the prime time games will encourage people switching over to kayo given how insufferable 7's coverage is
Sadly for me, I reckon the Channel 7 camera direction is a lot better. Far better use of behind-the-goal cameras and they actually zoom out and not do a close-up of the sweat beads of the player's eyebrows as much as Fox Footy (while play is going on), which maybe be because they're pushing 4K. Having to choose between no ads between breaks and a much worse camera direction next season will be interesting.

Sadly for me, I reckon the Channel 7 camera direction is a lot better. Far better use of behind-the-goal cameras and they actually zoom out and not do a close-up of the sweat beads of the player's eyebrows as much as Fox Footy (while play is going on), which maybe be because they're pushing 4K. Having to choose between no ads between breaks and a much worse camera direction next season will be interesting.

Hadn't considered that to be the case......I will start noticing that now :mad:

That actually surprises me given that more generally foxtel's coverage seems aimed at a slightly more discerning football fan

We've got a Sydney figure for the Swans/Port game.

ARL Commission chair and sports power broker Peter V’Landys took a swipe at the competing code this week, claiming the sport sometimes only gets 23,000 viewers in Sydney. The Swans’ preliminary final victory over Port Adelaide on Friday, while a relatively dull encounter, had an average broadcast audience of 153,000 in Sydney, compared to the 250,000 viewing the Cronulla Sharks win over the North Queensland Cowboys on the same night.

Asked on Wednesday about V’landys’ denying rugby league would be usurped in the northern states, Dillon said: “I think that this will be one of the highest rating grand finals - if not the highest rating grand final we’ve had.

“The fact that we’ve got a team representative from New South Wales, a team representative from Queensland, also the historic links back to Victoria are really important.

“Our clubs in New South Wales and Queensland have had incredible results this year. Their crowds are up in both states over 10 per cent, memberships up over 10 per cent, viewership [is] up at record levels in New South Wales and Queensland.

“And pleasingly for us, and really important for us, is that our community participation in both states is also at record levels, and we’ll just continue to invest in community.

“We know that boys, girls and men and women who are involved in our game at a community level, are six or seven times more likely to become a fan or watch the game on TV – and that’s what our focus is.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy, 4 million average is huge. 6 million reach is also insane to comprehend nearly a quarter of the country was watching the match.

From a QLDers perspective, watched the game in Ipswich at the Orion but am well aware of other watch parties that other family and friends attended at Southbank, Pineapple and Osbourne that had some huge numbers out in force.

Was there at Springfield this afternoon and footy in QLD is alive and thriving!!

My view is it is a under estimate. I struggle to believe in the 4 main AFL dominate states that at least half the population isn't watching the game.
I’d like to think so too, but the number of people who don’t follow sport at all is a lot higher than what some might think.

Gee that is massive, over 6 million reach and the average surprisingly good for a crap game that was over at half time.

Is this the biggest grand final The_Wookie? In the past decade? I think on reach it would be, but I'm pretty sure the Perth night grand final cracked over 4 million average, it was a closer game though and in primetime.

Gee that is massive, over 6 million reach and the average surprisingly good for a crap game that was over at half time.

Is this the biggest grand final The_Wookie? In the past decade? I think on reach it would be, but I'm pretty sure the Perth night grand final cracked over 4 million average, it was a closer game though and in primetime.

Reach was bigger in 2016 - but it should be noted that VOZ advises not to compare with pre VOZ data.

My view is it is a under estimate. I struggle to believe in the 4 main AFL dominate states that at least half the population isn't watching the game.

I am sure it is

This is the first one I found when I googled, Roy Morgan estimated the 2017 grand final audience at 8.4 million adults....or 44.5% of the population....

...I am sure that is an overestimate but I have no doubt that the ratings significantly underestimate the grand final audience

I am sure it is

This is the first one I found when I googled, Roy Morgan estimated the 2017 grand final audience at 8.4 million adults....or 44.5% of the population....

...I am sure that is an overestimate but I have no doubt that the ratings significantly underestimate the grand final audience

Roy Morgan has always been signficantly higher on audiences than the ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL TV Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back