Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
The all-important Aussie swimming Olympic Trials (Brisbane) run from 10-15 June

Each day will see heats (11am) & finals (7.30pm) being broadcast live on Channel 9 (& 9now).

Look out for our stars - Kyle Chalmers, Mollie O'Callaghan, Zac Stubblety-Cook, Arnie Titmus, Sam Short, Lani Pallister, Matt Temple, Kaylee McKeown and others.

Can Cate Campbell or Emily Seebohm get a final chance at Olympic success?

Will some young kid come out of the woodwork?

Anything is possible.

Entry Lists: https://swimswam.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2024-Australian-Swimming-Trials_Final-Start-List.pdf

Live(ish) Results: https://liveresults.swimming.org.au/sal/2024Trials

[Mod Edit - No promoting other forums please]

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's events (heats 11am, Finals 7.30pm on 9 or 9Now)

W 400m Freestyle (Ariarne Titmus etc)
W 200m IM (Kaylee McKeown etc)
M 100m Breast (Zac Stubblety-Cook etc)
W 100m Fly (Emma Mckeon etc)
M 400m Free (Sam Short etc)

Not a fan of Thorpey & Giaan. They obviously do zero research and add very little of value.

After a decade we have a 100m breaststroker to help our medley teams.

A team of McKeon/Williamson/Temple/O'Callaghan would be a medal chance in the Paris mixed medley. The men's mixed not so much as we need a decent backstroker.

Think they need a few more luxs in their lights at Marion. Not the brighest for TV broadcasting when they have the long shots. Close up shots are a lot better.

Swimming trials are in Brisbane. Diving is at Marion.
Ah that makes sense. Marion is new, Chandler is old. Only saw 3 or 4 of the 400m heats.

Giaan is absolute imbecilic - was carrying on about the 400m mens free being the only supersuit record left, when in reality there's about half a dozen....

Haha I only saw 3 or 4 x 400m men's heat swims this morning, and heard that, and first thought was German Peter Biederman had taken both Thorpe's 200m and 400m WR with a supersuit and Jason Lezak's unbelievable 4x100m Free anchor leg at Beijing was in a supersuit, plus I know Brazilian Cesar Cielo still has the 50m Fre WR from 2009 and I was pretty sure there were another 3 or 4 by the men.

Thorpey wasnt any better than Giann.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some impressive efforts tonight.

Arnie needed some competition and would have broken her own WR. Great swim.

Kaylee has produced the 3rd fastest 200IM in history. I have to look at the schedule to see how many swims she and McIntosh have had by the time 200IM final is on in Paris.

Emma McKeon was solid, got the job done with a qualifying time. Nothing great like 2021.

Fantastic swim by Sam Williamson in 100m breaststroke. A 58.80 gets him into the final in Paris, a 58.50 probably gets a medal, but a 58 flat with flying start in the men's medley relay final I reckon gets Oz bronze, maybe silver, and I reckon it gets Oz a silver in the mixed relay and maybe gold, provided his teammates deliver.

Men's 400m whilst a great contest were poor times. Both blokes were 2 seconds slower than at nationals in April.

More detailed summary at;

I am disappointed they havent followed the same schedule as Paris. I know there might not be the depth in the 200m+ events to have semifinals, but there is in the 100m strokes and they should have semis for them as well have finals on the same days that the Paris schedule has finals.

Dont know how much TV had a say in having a different schedule so the big events are more spread out over the week with no relay finals the first few nights.

Last edited:
Making the final from just a morning heat swim (as well as having seeded heats swimfirst) is a strategy to get Aussie swimmers to clock fast times in the heats (as they need to do at an international champs).

I don't miss semi-finals at all and wish international champs would eliminate them from 200m races. To me, it's just padding out the programme for no good reason.

Kaylee has produced the 3rd fastest 200IM in history. I have to look at the schedule to see how many swims she and McIntosh have had by the time 200IM final is on in Paris.

Emma McKeon was solid, got the job done with a qualifying time. Nothing great like 2021.

Fantastic swim by Sam Williamson in 100m breaststroke. A 58.80 gets him into the final in Paris, a 58.50 probably gets a medal, but a 58 flat with flying start in the men's medley relay final I reckon gets Oz bronze, maybe silver, and I reckon it gets Oz a silver in the mixed relay and maybe gold, provided his teammates deliver.

Men's 400m whilst a great contest were poor times. Both blokes were 2 seconds slower than at nationals in April.

I am disappointed they havent followed the same schedule as Paris. I know there might not be the depth in the 200m+ events to have semifinals, but there is in the 100m strokes and they should have semis for them as well have finals on the same days that the Paris schedule has finals.

Dont know how much TV had a say in having a different schedule so the big events are more spread out over the week with no relay finals the first few nights.
Our backstroke is so poor in man side for relay. USA Italy China France probably better then us atm.

I may have been late to the party on this one, but I randomly came across a documentary on Nine Now last night called 'The Greatest Rivalry' - USA v Australia.

I highly recommend it.

It's a strong Aussie focus obviously but key events in the documentary were:

• 4x100m final in Sydney,
  • Duncan Armstrong winning gold in Seol beating the great Matt Biondi,
  • Ledecky v Titmus in Toyko
It has me pumped for Paris.

• Titmus did what she had to, goes close to the WR in Paris, he race to lose, there are a couple of Eurpeans coming through.
  • Kaylee was good only thing I will say I hope she doesn't burden her programme too much, way more crucial in the backstroke for me, maybe she drops one long term who knows. Great IM swim.
  • McKeon was awful, think even she'd admit that, won't even go close to a medal on form. Shhe has had a great career but I'm more confident in the freestyle to be honest in Paris.
  • Williamson was the surprise to a degree (not that he won), outside medal chance, won't get near Peaty though
  • Mens 400m was weird, that was VERY slow despite it being a match race, one has to hope they were just doing enough to qualify because 3 seconds over the WR won't cut it in the Olympics.

Schedule is better without the semis, which were lets be real boring fillers when you should be swimming better times in the heats and trying to get middle lanes.

I just wish the 50m strokes were in the Olympics (breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly)

• McKeon was awful but I'm more confident in the freestyle to be honest in Paris.
  • Mens 400m was VERY slow despite it being a match race, one has to hope they were just doing enough to qualify because 3 seconds over the WR won't cut it in the Olympics.
I just wish the 50m strokes were in the Olympics (breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly)

McKeon's time in the fly final was disappointing but she easily qualified for Paris and AUS needs her as a butterfly swimmer (especially for relays) than as a freestyler where we have so much more depth.

Our two 400m men had absolutely no need to swim faster as they had no opposition to challenge for a spot in Paris. Both have two more events to swim here (and likely in Paris) so why bust a gut when it achieves nothing? Also Short mentioned he had a horrible few weeks leading into this meet and was suffering from gastro. Probably why he withdrew from the 200 free heats this morning.

I don't want to see 50m form strokes in the Olympics (I don't even like the 50m free being in). Swimming already has too many events where it's easy for athletes to double up and win medals. Imagine if in athletics, someone like Usain Bolt could run a 50m and 150m as well as his 100/200 (plus relays). Maybe he could also compete in the '50m skip' too - or in a Jamaican '2 legged 50m' race. That's what swimming has already.

The 50m form strokes can be saved for the World Champs rather than a multi-sport event where 'greatest medal winner of all-time' tables already favour swimmers over any other athletes apart from - perhaps - gymnasts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back