Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

Impressive, 3rd fastest all time I think (assuming the rankings page on World Aquatics is up to date).
They have caught up. They were very slow to update during the Oz trials, 4 or 5 days behind, but given French and USA trials and European championships have been on at the same time they have deployed some resources to only be a few hours behind.

Pat McAfee went to watch the US trials and whilst he is talking about the night and what they did to the stadium, they show in this video, how 2 pools were built for the event and split the stadium in 2 for viewing. Lucas Oil Stadium is a 65,000 seat stadium but not as long or as wide as Lang Park / Suncorp which seats 52,000.

The swimming for Brisbane is scheduled for the new Roma Street Brisbane Arena, I think the warm up/down pool will have to be built outside the arena building as I don't think there will be enough room for 2 pools inside an indoor arena.

How do you “literally” make someone eat their words?
Michael's not the smartest bloke.. Although eating was a big thing for him. When he was in peak training, he would consume 12,000 calories a day. Average adult male in western countries, consumes or should consume, about 2,800 calories a day.

Michael's not the smartest bloke.. Although eating was a big thing for him. When he was in peak training, he would consume 12,000 calories a day. Average adult male in western countries, consumes or should consume, about 2,800 calories a day.

I’ll be eating that many calories nightly, while trying to stay awake during the Olympics.

When did Cate make these comments? Did they dredge them up from the past, or are they recent?

I sure hope she isn’t dumb enough to have said this recently but i’m not optimistic.

Our women seem to always be equal or beat their women but the men always get spanked by the USA men.
In Atlanta and Sydney the Oz men were stronger than the Oz women thanks to champions like Perkins, Thorpe, Hackett and Klim.

They were never the dominate male team, and then Phelps came along and skewed things even further towards USA males dominating.

In Athens it was pretty equal between the Oz men and women and then the women took over with the likes of Trickett, Thomas, Jones, Rice, Cate Campbell, etc those first 8 to 10 years after Athens inspiring a stream of young female swimmers to come thru.

Plus at some point in the '00's the Oz coaches started getting the women to train more with the men and building strong squads. The men pushed the women harder than the other way round. that has helped our women get an upper hand over US at big meets, but we have more multiple event champions than they do, when you take out Ledecky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to continue the theme of putting swimming in football stadiums, LA Olympics are doing just that.

Because SoFi will be used for opening and closing ceremonies, athletics will be in the first week and swimming the second week.

I assume they finish Friday so they can pull down the 2 pools for the Sunday closing ceremony, unless they move it to the LA Coliseum where the athletics is on.

Above I posted the 3 winners of Day 8 finals including Dressel in the 50m final

I forgot to put up that he had the fastest time in the 100m Butterly SF 50.79 (second was 51.11) which makes him 6th fastest this year with the final to come. Fastest is Canadian Josh Liendo with a 50.06 from their trials last month. Matt Temple did a 50.25 in December and a 51.15 at our trials.

Dressel could still win 4 golds, the 50m free, 100m fly, and 400m free relay and 400m medlay relay to go with the 7 he already has.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies 2024 Australian Swimming Trials

Remove this Banner Ad

Back