F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought penalties applied after Qualifying was over, so Yuki can progress through Q2/Q3 as normal?
He can participate in Qualifying, going all the way to Q3 - but what's the point? He's starting at the back of the grid regardless of where he qualifies.

So... my questions are:
  • What are the minimum qualifying requirements for him to be allowed to participate in the F1 GP?
  • What is the best use of qualifying track time, for Yuki & McLaren?
I'm thinking they should just use Q1 as an 18 min Free Practice session, knowing that any times he sets are irrelevant to his starting position. They can use this time to optimise the car's race setup, while everyone else is focused on setting up for the fastest possible qualifying time.

Of course, they could just send him out for 1-2 laps, then pull him back in. That would allow them to bank at least one extra set of green tyres for use during the race.
RB would probably prefer the extra track time, at least to Q2.
Would they? Track time in Qualifying setup is not the same as track time in race setup.

I'd argue that they're better off spending the 18 minutes of Q1 optimising their race setup, rather than running 30 min of Q1 & Q2 in qualifying setup, given that he's starting 20th regardless of where he qualifies.
Honestly I can see DR getting punted from Q1 by Yuki at the buzzer as RB shoot themselves in the foot.
Sadly, this scenario would not surprise anyone at all...

60 place grid penalty for Yuki.

uom95lk37ved1.jpeg
He'll still beat a cooked ADR with that penalty

Norris has had a HEAP of PR training/work since the race finish. His team have tried to turn the narrative into what an amazing person he is - of course he was always going to give it back, the team shouldn't have put him in that position, etc.

Very careful use of language in his comments now - he's backed away from the "gave the win away" statement, is including the pit-order as part of the "team orders", etc.

If it's 1-2 on the grid, the first few laps will be extra spicy.
He’s demolished his last two teammates, I imagine his ego is hurting that Oscar is actually challenging him. Especially now McLaren are actually in the space for race wins and genuinely competitive.

I’d love for another 1-2 to eventuate and for the strategists to be like ¯\(ツ)/¯ race each other. It would make his blood boil especially if he’s the lead car.

Any Oscar preference from McLaren going forward will be looked at favourably.

What is the minimum qualifying requirement for taking part in an F1 GP?

Are drivers required to set a lap time? Does the lap time have to be within a certain percentage of the pole sitter's time? Do they have to just participate in qualifying (e.g. do an out lap and return directly to the pits)? Or can he sit out of qualifying completely, and still take his position at the back of the grid?

Is there any benefit to Yuki & McLaren just using Q1 as another practice session, allowing them to further optimise the car's race setup?

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Used to be something like you had to qualify within 107% of the leader in equal conditions

Used to be something like you had to qualify within 107% of the leader in equal conditions

I think it's still a thing, however not as relevant as it used to be. There's now a catch trigger for a wet track too IIRC.

OK... so, looking at the 2023 qualifying times:
https://www.formula1.com/en/results/2023/races/1216/belgium/qualifying

There's a huge jump from Q1 (1:58) to Q3 (1:46). I'm assuming it started out as a wet track, which got dryer as qualifying continued?

Assuming it's a dry track, Yuki would have to qualify within about 7 seconds of the pole sitter. Surely, even treating Q1 as a Free Practice session, Yuki should be able to set a time within 7 seconds of poll? The VCARB car isn't THAT slow.

The spread across Q1 was from 1:58 - 2:03, for Q2 it was 1:52 - 1:56, and for Q3 it was 1:46 - 1:48.

OK... so, looking at the 2023 qualifying times:
https://www.formula1.com/en/results/2023/races/1216/belgium/qualifying

There's a huge jump from Q1 (1:58) to Q3 (1:46). I'm assuming it started out as a wet track, which got dryer as qualifying continued?

Assuming it's a dry track, Yuki would have to qualify within about 7 seconds of the pole sitter. Surely, even treating Q1 as a Free Practice session, Yuki should be able to set a time within 7 seconds of poll? The VCARB car isn't THAT slow.

The spread across Q1 was from 1:58 - 2:03, for Q2 it was 1:52 - 1:56, and for Q3 it was 1:46 - 1:48.
Yeh almost all the examples since 2013 have likely been in changing track conditions, hence why all got to race.
I'd be very surprised in the modern era of F1 if this rule was ever enacted. Yes we have slow cars on the grid, but not that slow.

Yeh almost all the examples since 2013 have likely been in changing track conditions, hence why all got to race.
I'd be very surprised in the modern era of F1 if this rule was ever enacted. Yes we have slow cars on the grid, but not that slow.
Basically... he can't sit out Qualifying completely, banking the tyres. However, he's probably not under any obligation to treat it as a qualifying session. He should be fine just treating it as an extra Free Practice session, refining the car's race setup.

Basically... he can't sit out Qualifying completely, banking the tyres. However, he's probably not under any obligation to treat it as a qualifying session. He should be fine just treating it as an extra Free Practice session, refining the car's race setup.
Yeh, this has happened previously (also usually at Spa) and the drivers tend to do 1 fastish type lap in Q1 and that's it.

The only scenario where it may change is if there is a chance to knock out a competitor that is looking in bad shape in Q1. From memory Sainz did this a few years ago I wanna say in Istanbul? I think Daniel was on the verge (McLaren days) of being knocked out in Q1, and despite the fact that Sainz was taking a bunch of engine penalties, he put in a fast lap to knock Daniel out of Q1 to help the constructors battle.

Or to set up a tow along the kemmel straight.

He’s demolished his last two teammates, I imagine his ego is hurting that Oscar is actually challenging him. Especially now McLaren are actually in the space for race wins and genuinely competitive.

I’d love for another 1-2 to eventuate and for the strategists to be like ¯\(ツ)/¯ race each other. It would make his blood boil especially if he’s the lead car.

Any Oscar preference from McLaren going forward will be looked at favourably.
Piastri might be as quick as Norris in clean air, and based on long runs his tire management also better - but his lapped traffic management, and ability to close and pass competitors is still lacking.

Heavy rain has set in at Spa bringing an early end to the Porsche quali. Same old story of differing weather conditions on different parts of the track before the rain set in

Won’t be surprised if same scenario results for the F1 boys later today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar fastest lap of Q1.

But more impressive in a rapidly changing wet track conditions was that he went to the top of the charts with every stint. Lando struggled in every one of his laps.

Reckon Oscar and Max are the drivers to beat here.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back