Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. The coverage was awful but that was an off the cuff innocent remark. Obviously what happened to McCarthy 12 years ago has faded from memory for many, she shouldn't be hung out to dry for that. People need to grow up, take things for what they are and not pretend to be offended, especially on someone else's behalf.

Generally agree, it's just not something that is at the forefront of people's minds 12 years later.

She'll apologise and she should but that's enough.

Lol. The coverage was awful but that was an off the cuff innocent remark. Obviously what happened to McCarthy 12 years ago has faded from memory for many, she shouldn't be hung out to dry for that. People need to grow up, take things for what they are and not pretend to be offended, especially on someone else's behalf.
Agree with this. It was a poor comment but it wasn't intended to offend. Caught up in the spur of the moment banter. There have been many more incidents than just McCarthys where players lives have been at risk in Vegas.

Generally agree, it's just not something that is at the forefront of people's minds 12 years later.

She'll apologise and she should but that's enough.
Apoloigise, Apologose, Apologise.

The AFL's obsession with "Apologies" that in most cases don't mean anything is off the charts. In this case I think Bec will apologise as she clearly didn't mean to offend, but the "Apology" system in the AFL is nothing short of ridiculous. Does anyone remeber that appalling sketch comedy show from maybe 15 years ago called The Wedge? Complete piece of garbage but I always rememebr the guy that played Wilfred in Wilfred, playing a character called Mark Warey, a sports star, who at the behest of his manager had to continually give press conferences apologising for his his outrageous behaviour where he clearly did not give 2 fcuks. That is what Im constantly reminded of when I hear the the ever increasing amounts of Helen Lovejoys in the AFL "Footy Industry" call for these endless Apologies. They are meaningless.

How can you entrust the umpires to determine who’s best on ground when they can barely get a holding the ball decision right?

The Brownlow has now become a glitz & glamour award, made for the tabloids. Stick to the Coaches votes if you’re looking for a more unbiased & informed verdict of the games best.
Pretentious glitz & total borefest & thats with Zak finishing 3rd. But to be fair to the umpires its an extremely difficult task when you are focussing on adjudicating the game. As you say the Coaches award is a far more accurate indication of the best players for the season.

I still feel for players who are not midfielders as they are not recognised properly. Maybe it's time to abolish the Brownlow & bring in 3 awards - best midfielder, best defender & best forward. Who you trust to vote is problematic but the coaches are the safest bet.

I rated JHF's year very highly but it's always probably been a little overstated on here, i think it's mainly because he stood up in many key moments, and we all see how big his future is but deep down Butters definitely had the overall better year. He was more consistent, week to week and within games.

JHF has all the tools, blessed with talent, needs another big pre season to work on his tank so he can have an impact for larger chunks of games and he is definitely going to be someone that will catch the umpires eye and probably win one of these one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back