2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are rebuilding but that isn't open ended. Most clubs can rebuild around a core in 4 seasons if they get it right. We need to go now. If we wait until Sinclair, Steele, Marshall etc are all over 30 we will need to rebuild this rebuild.

We need some bridging players and we need some future kids coming through. I think we could easily be where Sydney are this year with a couple of very targeted additions. We should have a fair bit of internal improvement.

Nas is already a gun but he goes up a level you get an elite talent. Then from Owens, Wilson, Phillipou, Henry, King, Windhager, Garcia, Shoenmaker, Keeler, Hastie etc you get a few go up a level. Then Dow, Clark, Byrnes, Sharman, Caminiti, Byrnes and even someone like Snags start to meet potential and all of a sudden you are starting to push up hard.

Add an extractor and a ruck and it's getting towards a finals side IMO.
Aside from Hugo l doubt we'll see much meaningful contribution from those that weren't regulars this season. Our immediate future rests on our injury run plus our trade targets. Pou would be the guy if he can put together a season like his last few games, and if we're very lucky 1 of the soon to be draftees might bob up.

I was referring to drafting.
Next year's crop is said to be a lower standard, but most of all it's a massive shitshow of NGA's, followed by another massive shitshow as Tassie come in.
I say hit this draft now with all we've got. Not quantity but for quality.

Next year has little Pou, we need to keep a pick for him.

Aside from Hugo l doubt we'll see much meaningful contribution from those that weren't regulars this season. Our immediate future rests on our injury run plus our trade targets. Pou would be the guy if he can put together a season like his last few games, and if we're very lucky 1 of the soon to be draftees might bob up.

Wilson was better in year one than Nas even. If he progresses, Pou goes up and we get natural development from Windy and Owens etc. We get much closer. Guys like Schoenmaker and McLennan could push into Battle's role and even Sharman and Hammer have more progression in them.

King nearly the forgotten man too, a 50 to 60 goal season from him, 40 from Snags plus around 20 each from Butler, Owens, resting Marshall, Hammer, Sharman etc and the potential rise is there.

Phillipou could easily average 20 possessions and goal without too much imagination.

It sounds like the Macrae deal is virtually done.

Macrae has come out publicly and nominated Saints. And it’s been reported that Macrae’s management has told the Bulldogs that they will be taking a hard line in getting a trade done.

Saints won’t let Macrae down. A deal will be done.

But we don’t want both Macrae and Parker. It’s one or the other. Having both will stunt the opportunity and development and our younger lads.

The dye is cast.
Die

Wilson was better in year one than Nas even. If he progresses, Pou goes up and we get natural development from Windy and Owens etc. We get much closer. Guys like Schoenmaker and McLennan could push into Battle's role and even Sharman and Hammer have more progression in them.

King nearly the forgotten man too, a 50 to 60 goal season from him, 40 from Snags plus around 20 each from Butler, Owens, resting Marshall, Hammer, Sharman etc and the potential rise is there.

Phillipou could easily average 20 possessions and goal without too much imagination.
I expect improvement from all those but not stratospheric. Pou is the one who looks ready to explode, but yes Windy and Owens could find themselves again. Anyway I digress, l was talking about non regulars. Hugo yes. Ari is a possible but l think he's gonna in and out next year if they get a replacement for Batts.
I actually think Wood is a good candidate for that which gets Ari in the squad and allows another draftee.
I think they're waiting on Membrey's outcome before they can move on it.

I was referring to drafting.
Next year's crop is said to be a lower standard, but most of all it's a massive shitshow of NGA's, followed by another massive shitshow as Tassie come in.
I say hit this draft now with all we've got. Not quantity but for quality.

I agree.

The difficulty is that every club wants to trade-in to this draft rather than to trade-out. Especially in the first two rounds.

We will have picks 7, 8 and 24. Our best bet might be to trade-out a future pick with the Tigers for one of their plethora of picks. Allowing them spread their picks in to next year.

Possibly target their picks 21 or 29 and then let Dalrymple do what we have bought him in to do. Weave some magic.

However Saints might need to cut further into the depth of the list to find the extra list spot. But I wouldn’t be against it if we did this.

I agree.

The difficulty is that every club wants to trade-in to this draft rather than to trade-out. Especially in the first two rounds.

We will have picks 7, 8 and 24. Our best bet might be to trade-out a future pick with the Tigers for one of their plethora of picks. Allowing them spread their picks in to next year.

Possibly target their picks 21 or 29 and then let Dalrymple do what we have bought him in to do. Weave some magic.

However Saints might need to cut further into the depth of the list to find the extra list spot. But I wouldn’t be against it if we did this.
Yes, competition will be hot. Richmond will basically control the whole thing, they have a staggering number of picks already and will get most of Freo’s, GC's and Brizzy's first round picks.

It sounds like the Macrae deal is virtually done.

Macrae has come out publicly and nominated Saints. And it’s been reported that Macrae’s management has told the Bulldogs that they will be taking a hard line in getting a trade done.

Saints won’t let Macrae down. A deal will be done.

But we don’t want both Macrae and Parker. It’s one or the other. Having both will stunt the opportunity and development and our younger lads.

The die is cast.
đź’Ż
Don’t want or need both.
Was a little tongue in check - happy with Macrae, just don’t want to be overpaying.

I want both, load up with high picks, fill out with academy kids and Peckett while trading in some missing pieces. This is where list management earn their keep.
Can’t neglect any part of the list at this stage. It’s about the balance.

Yes, competition will be hot. Richmond will basically control the whole thing, they have a staggering number of picks already and will get most of Freo’s, GC's and Brizzy's first round picks.

Tigers could get pick 6 for Rioli.

Picks 9 and 10 or 9 and 17 for Bolton.

And potentially pick 3 in exchange for a late 1st rounder for Baker, or pick 12 on its own.

Tigers could potentially have picks 1, 3, 6, 9, 10, 21 and 29. And that is before other trades.

I’d be targeting one of their picks in the 20s with our future second and maybe a later pick swap next year.

If we received a late second round pick for Membrey (band 4) as free agency compensation for him receiving a 2 year deal then that would give us more currency this year. But that is unlikely.

We are rebuilding but that isn't open ended. Most clubs can rebuild around a core in 4 seasons if they get it right. We need to go now. If we wait until Sinclair, Steele, Marshall etc are all over 30 we will need to rebuild this rebuild.

We need some bridging players and we need some future kids coming through. I think we could easily be where Sydney are this year with a couple of very targeted additions. We should have a fair bit of internal improvement.

Nas is already a gun but he goes up a level you get an elite talent. Then from Owens, Wilson, Phillipou, Henry, King, Windhager, Garcia, Shoenmaker, Keeler, Hastie etc you get a few go up a level. Then Dow, Clark, Byrnes, Sharman, Caminiti, Byrnes and even someone like Snags start to meet potential and all of a sudden you are starting to push up hard.

Add an extractor and a ruck and it's getting towards a finals side IMO.
The interesting thing at the end of an AFL season is everyone will now say "look at the Lions, they are amazing we are nowhere near them..."

They are the premiers but they also could have/should have been eliminated twice in the finals series.

The finals are such an open competition now. You need to build a side good enough to run that gauntlet and then it comes down to luck and skill on the day.

I agree with you, we are not far off competing in the finals gauntlet. With some shrewd recruiting there's no reason we can't win a flag in the next five years. It will take some luck, some great coaching etc but we have shown even this year we aren't miles off the top sides.

I just looked at the odds and Hawthorn are second favourite for the flag next year. That tells you how open it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ari is a possible but l think he's gonna in and out next year if they get a replacement for Batts.

Ari to become a regular has to really improve his defensive skills, and also his intercept marking skills.
He is also a tad slow, so hopefully they also have him doing some sprint training.

We are all in love with his kicking skills, but he needs to improve the rest of his skillset. The lack of which I personally believe is more why he slid that the well talked about "lack of character" issues.

And potentially pick 3 in exchange for a late 1st rounder for Baker, or pick 12 on its own.

Tigers could potentially have picks 1, 3, 6, 9, 10, 21 and 29. And that is before other trades.

I’d be targeting one of their picks in the 20s with our future second and maybe a later pick swap next year.

If we received a late second round pick for Membrey (band 4) as free agency compensation for him receiving a 2 year deal then that would give us more currency this year. But that is unlikely.
I don't know how the compo system works. Does it effect the chances of getting pick 8? I'd hope not.
The narrative that Richmond wants to spread their picks out is probably true enough, but they currently have 6 picks between 39 & 72. I'd wager it's those that they're referring to.
They've only offloaded 4 players so far and it'll be 7 with trades, so probably up to 10-12 by draft night.
Anyway pick numbers don't matter that much. If there's a player we want still available then we make an offer. Something like p21, or 25 on the night could still cost a future 1st.
I wonder if Toce will be receptive to SOS?

Ari to become a regular has to really improve his defensive skills, and also his intercept marking skills.
He is also a tad slow, so hopefully they also have him doing some sprint training.

We are all in love with his kicking skills, but he needs to improve the rest of his skillset. The lack of which I personally believe is more why he slid that the well talked about "lack of character" issues.
Apparently he's dropped a lot of weight so they might stick him on a wing or HHBF. We'll see.

I don't know how the compo system works. Does it effect the chances of getting pick 8? I'd hope not.
The narrative that Richmond wants to spread their picks out is probably true enough, but they currently have 6 picks between 39 & 72. I'd wager it's those that they're referring to.
They've only offloaded 4 players so far and it'll be 7 with trades, so probably up to 10-12 by draft night.
Anyway pick numbers don't matter that much. If there's a player we want still available then we make an offer. Something like p21, or 25 on the night could still cost a future 1st.
I wonder if Toce will be receptive to SOS?

Toce aint doing the deals

Some context possibly could've helped 🤣 The saying is the die is cast, not dye - unless you are preparing for a market stall in Nimbin.

If Richmond ended up with those picks, I'd guess their draft selections this season would be similar to what we've had for a decade.

Yes injuries were huge this year. Unfortunately Crouch looks to be gone.

A full season from Henry should make a significant difference.

Pou along with Clark, if both fully fit should also help our 2025 midfield. Maybe Soldo too if we get him will help our mids to get first hands on the ball more often. IF Macrae lands, he will help.

Sincs hopefully will be back to being Sincs again as his lack of preseason, saw him take a little while to get going. That as playing more mid time this year robbed us of his best football.

A fit Max would make a big difference. Early last season he was up the ground and looked good, but then he largely reverted back to being stay at home forward. I think Max was carrying a number of injuries this season.

Wilson, I ama huge fan of. Second youngest player on our list, and what a wonderful debut season he had. He strikes me as the type who will not suffer from second year Blues. Ditto for Garcia who just radiates that he wants to get better and better and is prepared to do the hard yards required.

Battle is a loss. Though there are possibilities to cover part of that loss by adding to our list though they will not be as good as Battle was this sason., but I think our backline will still be weaker next season.

Caminiti could play forward or back. It will be interesting to see where they train him in the pre-season.

Collard I hope the club puts a lot into over the summer. I would not mind then trying him in another position where he has to work harder, as workrate I believe is one of his flaws at present.

Hopefully picks 7 and 8 can get some valuable games in...and some of the other kids too.

Apparently he's dropped a lot of weight so they might stick him on a wing or HHBF. We'll see.

If he is to play wing, then he would need to improve his pace, as well as his endurance. Ithink next season he would struggle to do at the level some his team mates can do.

Wings have to be able to run from end to end non-stop and quickly. They need to provide a chop out in defense, as well as to present options up forward.

This is a big reason why Wilson was such a success this season. Wood will stay on the wing. Byrnes is an option there too due to running ability, as is Hill.

But yes Ari is still young, but whatever his role is to be he certainly needs more development.

For us to be competitive we will certainly need to be a good running team next year.

HHBF taking Bonner's place would be more viable. He is a better kick than Bonner. However Bonner will have in part been let go because he did not improve his defensive game this year. Ari cannot just be there as are go to for release kicks.

Last edited:
Nar, cross that bridge when the time comes. If we can get 4 inside the top 30 this year it's an opportunity not to be missed.

This draft is good because players right up until 30 or so are still high quality. The front end is not as strong as a lot of years. If you sell a future first for a pick in the teens and it ends up pick 4 or 6 in 2025 you'll regret it later.

It's not like you can play 4 to 6 new kids in the side next year. You want to be getting massive overs to sell your future picks. First rounders are nearly untouchable unless they are for an exceptional talent. Maybe if we trade it on the night because someone has slid right out you think about it but should never be done flippantly.

I expect improvement from all those but not stratospheric. Pou is the one who looks ready to explode, but yes Windy and Owens could find themselves again. Anyway I digress, l was talking about non regulars. Hugo yes. Ari is a possible but l think he's gonna in and out next year if they get a replacement for Batts.
I actually think Wood is a good candidate for that which gets Ari in the squad and allows another draftee.
I think they're waiting on Membrey's outcome before they can move on it.

Wood for Battle's spot? Yuck, he's better on the move. I'd rather put Sharman back and I prefer him forward. Looks the most like for like. McLennan looked okay back there but did have Battle along side.

There was talk that Richmond were keen to trade some out for future picks so that they didn't take too many in one year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back