• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is NGA's piggy backing on father/son and academy bidding that is clouding things. Take that out of the equation and this is a simpler fix with a known grounding and set of objectives

NGA's are a data gathering, box ticking, Melbourne centric rort that involves only about 0.1% AFL club development effort, with the rest outsourced to traditional pathways. It's a newly invented scam built to appease. It can get in the bin.

Deep breaths....

Anyway, there's half your low value point issue solved and a cleaner draft with less chance for collusion
They are separate issues.

Even if they totally removed NGA, it wouldn't change that the bidding system is woefully unfair.

Name them , someone will
Use 3 picks at the draft my hope would be
Pick 18 (floats out to 23): Harvey Langford
Pick 19 (floats out to 24); Josh Murphy
Picks 56 and 74 can by itself match Cochran but we don't know exactly the cut off for matching

Edit: I know some would maybe include Tobie Travaglia in and around the two FRP and i don't mind that option either

Use 3 picks at the draft my hope would be
Pick 18 (floats out to 23): Harvey Langford
Pick 19 (floats out to 24); Josh Murphy
Picks 56 and 74 can by itself match Cochran but we don't know exactly the cut off for matching

Edit: I know some would maybe include Tobie Travaglia in and around the two FRP and i don't mind that option either
It's June, so you are probably as accurate as anyone.

We don’t have a 4th round pick this year; we traded it to Hawthorn when we traded up to get Snell at 53 last year

So we have 18, 19 and 56 and I think one in the 90’s depending on whether we need a pick to promote Stretch from rookie list (if we extend him beyond this year)

Tom barrass has come out and emphatically shut down rumours he could be on the move as a contracted player

We don’t have a 4th round pick this year; we traded it to Hawthorn when we traded up to get Snell at 53 last year

So we have 18, 19 and 56 and I think one in the 90’s depending on whether we need a pick to promote Stretch from rookie list (if we extend him beyond this year)
Stretch doesn't need to be extended any further. There's tall ... and then there's too tall.

Tom barrass has come out and emphatically shut down rumours he could be on the move as a contracted player

One of the strangest non-player moves Beatson/Manager/Barass all say completely different events

Reminds me of the Lachie Neale noise a few years ago probably wasnt supposed to be made public early panicked then resigned at Brisbane again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Barass doesn't strike me as the most intelligent footballer getting around or have the highest of moral standards. Seems he's fooled us twice now and even had the balls to say he was disappointed in what kinear came out and said earlier in the year, played if off like he was lying.

Absolute i know a few and a couple manage some of ours and they care ! give me proof !

Agree a few are you know whats, but in general all managers are great for the players and get the best deal for the players and the club(s) involved. Met a few through work and never had an issue.

It will be a compromise honestly am not worried about it.

The curve will be fixed and anyone with a half understanding of the draft knows this. Top 10 picks should not be able to be matched with junk 3rd rounders

I don’t love the idea floating of first rounder has to be matched with a first that’s going to cause issues.

It will be a compromise honestly am not worried about it.

The curve will be fixed and anyone with a half understanding of the draft knows this. Top 10 picks should not be able to be matched with junk 3rd rounders

I don’t love the idea floating of first rounder has to be matched with a first that’s going to cause issues.
The only thing guaranteed is it will adversely impact northern clubs, while it helps out footy state clubs that have NGAs and access to more local talent anyway.

The only thing guaranteed is it will adversely impact northern clubs, while it helps out footy state clubs that have NGAs and access to more local talent anyway.

Maybe how about we wait to see what it is before we whinge hard though.

The curve being fixed will amend 95% of the issues that will be the main change and it should happen.

The reason is partly due to the Suns having a great haul last year but also because Tassie is coming into the draft i believe the 2027 draft. Due to that the AFL wants to close the loophole of alot of top talent going to the top teams for chump change to allow Richmond, Geelong, North and all the bottom teams the chance to rebuild before Tassie have 15 FRPs over the 2027 & 2028 drafts. Which would basically mean any rebuilding team that starts their rebuild is screwed in those two drafts
With Tasmania coming into the league (and possibly a 20th club not long afterwards), the imperative to grow the talent pool becomes stronger. What those raising an eyebrow over Gold Coast's haul last year choose to ignore is that Gold Coast (and all other clubs) have a certain number of spots on their list. By filling those spots with Queenslanders who would otherwise not have had the chance to develop to AFL standard without the academy, Gold Coast left players from the rest of the pool for every other club.

With Tasmania coming into the league (and possibly a 20th club not long afterwards), the imperative to grow the talent pool becomes stronger. What those raising an eyebrow over Gold Coast's haul last year choose to ignore is that Gold Coast (and all other clubs) have a certain number of spots on their list. By filling those spots with Queenslanders who would otherwise not have had the chance to develop to AFL standard without the academy, Gold Coast left players from the rest of the pool for every other club.

Problem is they got those players for 2c in the dollar so to speak. They played the system no complaints with what they did- the system is the problem not what they did. The bell curve so to speak is the issue, top 10 picks especially should be worth SIGNIFICANTLY more. Look at what they actually paid for Ethan Read is that fair…not sure it would pass the pub test.

Feel that’s what they need to focus on, change the curve to better reflect what’s fair and realistic. Forget the other stuff like pick limits or where these picks can be. You fix the curve and then teams have to pay with more realistic selections anyway.

It’s not just them look at what the Lions paid for Ashcroft, every club is doing it.

Problem is they got those players for 2c in the dollar so to speak. They played the system no complaints with what they did- the system is the problem not what they did. The bell curve so to speak is the issue, top 10 picks especially should be worth SIGNIFICANTLY more. Look at what they actually paid for Ethan Read is that fair…not sure it would pass the pub test.

Feel that’s what they need to focus on, change the curve to better reflect what’s fair and realistic. Forget the other stuff like pick limits or where these picks can be. You fix the curve and then teams have to pay with more realistic selections anyway.

It’s not just them look at what the Lions paid for Ashcroft, every club is doing it.
Agree with this you can't have best player in the draft class going for picks 38, 40, 42, 44. Thats the picks used to draft Daicos in 2021, and as i said its crucial to limit this to allow the shocking teams to rebuild before Tassie come in through the 2027 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back