• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Out-of-favour North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips is expected to be at a rival club next season.

The off-contract 22-year-old has managed just three senior games this year thus far. He has just 35 AFL matches to his name since being drafted at No. 3 overall in the 2020 national draft.

“I don’t think Will Phillips will be at North Melbourne next year,” Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle.

OOC next season

Drafted ahead of Logan

It's obvious managers and clubs are starting to squeeze the club.

I know it's harsh but the club may have to start thinking about moving on someone who is on decent coin, over 30 and clearly outside the best 22.

Parker is a club great, however the club needs to think with its head and not it's heart. It's not worth losing a potential 10 year player for the sake of an ageing legend who's not even in the best 22 anymore
Here we go

Just piss him off then

Here we go

Just piss him off then
It's not about pissing him off. It's about making sure we have the financial flexibility to keep this list together. You don't want to lose someone like logan or chad and have Parker sitting in the vfl on 500+.

Geelong did the same with their legends. Chapman, johnson Kelly etc all got moved on

Arie Schoenmaker, drafted at No. 62 from Tasmania, is debuting for St Kilda against Brisbane tonight.

Did we take Patrick Snell at No. 53 ahead of Schoenmaker?

The young Tasmanian has shown a bit down back tonight for the Saints. A good size, and is a beautiful left foot kick.
There were concerns over his character. He would have gone much earlier otherwise.

I am happy that we took Snell over Schoenmaker. Mark McVeigh coached him in the Allies and I think also coaches our defence. So might have had some input into the choice. So happy to give him a player he wants to develop for the defensive unit.

It's obvious managers and clubs are starting to squeeze the club.

I know it's harsh but the club may have to start thinking about moving on someone who is on decent coin, over 30 and clearly outside the best 22.

Parker is a club great, however the club needs to think with its head and not it's heart. It's not worth losing a potential 10 year player for the sake of an ageing legend who's not even in the best 22 anymore
I’m not sure we need to save coin, but agree that if so Parker would be a good player to move on. Several building clubs would value his services and I reckon he is on good coin.

He really stretched out his last negotiation and got 4 years (which felt too long to me at the time) - though who knows, maybe the swans were low balling him and he was fighting just to get a fair price.

Ok fair enough, the coaches are closer and would have done their due diligence.

With Tassie coming in 2028, the go-home factor might also have been on their minds.
He was actually in the range of our pick that we took Green with but his character made him drop out of the first day and then he kept on dropping until Saints took a stab with him and looks like it paid off. Basically the same characteristics as Blakey so would have been interesting if we had grabbed him

I’m not sure we need to save coin, but agree that if so Parker would be a good player to move on. Several building clubs would value his services and I reckon he is on good coin.

He really stretched out his last negotiation and got 4 years (which felt too long to me at the time) - though who knows, maybe the swans were low balling him and he was fighting just to get a fair price.
Won't happen. Clubs with culture don't do this stuff.

Won't happen. Clubs with culture don't do this stuff.
If it did happen (and again, I don’t think we should need to offload players to save coin), it would need to be mutual.

But it might happen without coin being an issue. Longmire will be upfront with Parker about his starting chances next year. If they are low, I reckon Parker may want to explore an option elsewhere. He could sign a 2-3 year contract with another team (vs one year at Sydney) with almost guaranteed starting chances and a potential pay bump.

I can’t see Sydney standing in Parker’s way if he wanted this (to your point on culture, we ensure good player outcomes where we can).

Parker I don't think would be on huge money anyway and he's required player for my mind especially if Sheldricks injuries keep cropping up. Adams is not known for being injury free either.
I don't think we would save that much cash and Parker is only contracted until end of next year.
If he wants to move fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker I don't think would be on huge money anyway and he's required player for my mind especially if Sheldricks injuries keep cropping up. Adams is not known for being injury free either.
I don't think we would save that much cash and Parker is only contracted until end of next year.
If he wants to move fair enough.

Well true of any trade, they have to want to go.

Presuming he doesn't want to play VFL again I assume he would go .

Random question but is Jett McLaughlan on the draft radar this year?
Nah im massive on Harvey Langford, Jobe Shanahan, Josh Murphy, Archer Day-Wicks. Think we take atleast 1 medium forward need to start branching out and looking at other potential weak points, maybe another small forward? But is that just feeling weak because Corey Warner has been out for a large chunk of the year?

Geelong and Hawthorn nudged out their champions at the end of their dynasties. I suspect it was more about the need to balance opportunities for younger players to start the regeneration than it was about salary cap.

Firstly, we haven't achieved a dynasty (yet). Maybe we're at the start of one, but they're very hard to pull off.

Secondly, the core of our team remains very young. We don't really need to bring youth into the team for the sake of it, though clearly if we want to keep our younger draftees there needs to be some opportunity for them to graduate to senior footy. But that young core still needs the guidance from old heads around the club. You just need to hear them talk about the impact off-field that the arrival of Adams and Grundy has had, and the positive influence of Parker around the club even while he's not been playing.

We're going to lose a chunk of experience anyway over the next two to three seasons, with all of Rampe, Lloyd and Cunningham closer to the end than the start. And Parker himself may only have a couple of seasons left in him. And then Adams and Grundy probably won't be far behind.

Thirdly, our depth hasn't been seriously tested yet. Sure, Mills and Parker are yet to play a game, but we've still been pretty blessed compared to some of the other teams threatening the top end of the ladder. If we're to go all the way this year, we may yet be very grateful for a fresh Parker coming in and recreating the beast-mode that almost single-handedly won us a few games last season and saw him finish 4th in the B&F. Or maybe not. But it's premature to be thinking of him as expendable with more than three months yet to play out in a season where the ultimate prize is in our sights.

It will just be interesting , thinking from Parker's perspective and not the clubs. If he feels he is just getting in when others are hurt, will he want to get out?

It's kind of odd he isn't on the bench or around like Mills (while suspended) to pass on experience (unless I Missed him ). He also is not really the man I want to rush back for a final.

But yeah maybe he gets back in at some stage , just haven't missed his dump kicks,
Campbell tried to replicate them.

Last edited:
If it did happen (and again, I don’t think we should need to offload players to save coin), it would need to be mutual.

But it might happen without coin being an issue. Longmire will be upfront with Parker about his starting chances next year. If they are low, I reckon Parker may want to explore an option elsewhere. He could sign a 2-3 year contract with another team (vs one year at Sydney) with almost guaranteed starting chances and a potential pay bump.

I can’t see Sydney standing in Parker’s way if he wanted this (to your point on culture, we ensure good player outcomes where we can).

We would be extremely wary giving a competitor a free hit with Parker i suspect if the wants to go to North or GC we wouldnt stand in his way but if a Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon tried to acquire his services that would be troubling.

It will just be interesting , thinking from Parker's perspective and not the clubs. If he feels he is just getting in when others are hurt, will he want to get out?

It's kind of odd he isn't on the bench or around like Mills (while suspended) to pass on experience (unless I Missed him ). He also is not really the man I want to rush back for a final.

But yeah maybe he gets back in at some stage , just haven't missed his dump kicks,
Campbell tried to replicate them.
He might not be on the bench as such, but he has definitely been around plenty of match day. Seen him the last two home games we've been to in the lead up to games.

I have no issues reducing the ability to use lots of junk picks for points to get high ranked players. Think it is a sensible change, as long as done within reason.

Yep, I mean I look at last year and Read at pick 9 was matched with two junk 30 odd picks, that was the one that is the issue. Don't hate the idea where you are limited to say 3 first rounders in a rolling period whatever that is. The curve is what the issue is, or the 'points' allocated to each pick in other words. Top 10 picks need to be substantially more, and it should be hard to match a top 3-5 talent

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back