List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

I just got around to watching this. No way they do it this year. Laura Kane's position is 'we might', in mid-June. When they allow future picks trading. The idea that clubs have been 'on notice' for 12 months about the change wouldn't be entirely true either in the context of the discussion on SEN. Clubs might have been on notice that the AFL was considering looking at the rules, not what those rules might be or that the AFL has made a decision to implement them (we still don't have a decision on that!).

It is kinda smart. Get people outraged about the when of the changes rather than the fact that they're making the changes.

Just for an alternate view I listened to all of Crunchtime and I think Laura Kane handled herself really well and is a strong performer. I have no real belief gender played any part in her promotion.

The points system is manifestly unfair and if I were a club competing against Brisbane I would be pretty annoyed if the AFL shut the door on comparatively cheap f/s and academy picks just after a perennial top 4 team in the Lions got two rolled gold young midfielders (or more). Even if it's late notice. Still, being one-eyed, of course I hope they do wait until next year!

Just for an alternate view I listened to all of Crunchtime and I think Laura Kane handled herself really well and is a strong performer. I have no real belief gender played any part in her promotion.

The points system is manifestly unfair and if I were a club competing against Brisbane I would be pretty annoyed if the AFL shut the door on comparatively cheap f/s and academy picks just after a perennial top 4 team in the Lions got two rolled gold young midfielders (or more). Even if it's late notice. Still, being one-eyed, of course I hope they do wait until next year!

I think the only people voicing strong criticisms of Laura Kane are people who have an issue with women in positions of authority.

My view is FS should be outside the draft. So you nominate FS pre-draft and then the team just has to use a list spot.

The academy is a balancing act of factors. On one hand it is an advantage to Brisbane. On the other hand, we spend our resources running the academy and building talent for the overall league which would not exist except for the academies. And if you want to continue to bring in teams then you need to expand talent pathways.

GC had 3 first rounders last year. How many of those guys would not have even been drafted or chosen a different elite sporting pathway if the academy hadn't existed? The flow on effect is then another club will have drafted someone that would not have been available at that pick if the academies did not exist.

You can't expect these clubs to pour in resources and get no benefit. The lions have had one first rounder from its academy, Eric at pick 14. While we have developed great players out of the academy from later picks, it has hardly been a bounty of high end draft picks.

The issue with the academies is that the output is tangible, so it is easy to criticise. What is never considered is the input into the academies and the relative advantages other teams have which are not quite as tangible.

I think the only people voicing strong criticisms of Laura Kane are people who have an issue with women in positions of authority.

My view is FS should be outside the draft. So you nominate FS pre-draft and then the team just has to use a list spot.
That allows every team with a father son kids, particularly top rated kids, to double dip.

So we would get Levi outside the draft, and then be able take another kid with our natural first round pick.
The academy is a balancing act of factors. On one hand it is an advantage to Brisbane. On the other hand, we spend our resources running the academy and building talent for the overall league which would not exist except for the academies. And if you want to continue to bring in teams then you need to expand talent pathways.

GC had 3 first rounders last year. How many of those guys would not have even been drafted or chosen a different elite sporting pathway if the academy hadn't existed? The flow on effect is then another club will have drafted someone that would not have been available at that pick if the academies did not exist.

You can't expect these clubs to pour in resources and get no benefit. The lions have had one first rounder from its academy, Eric at pick 14. While we have developed great players out of the academy from later picks, it has hardly been a bounty of high end draft picks.

That allows every team with a father son kids, particularly top rated kids, to double dip.

So we would get Levi outside the draft, and then be able take another kid with our natural first round pick.

Yes.

This is the AFLs MO, they create a stupid scheme, then they try and fix its problems AFTER the entirely foreseeable consequences come to pass. Father-sons were going for third round picks, so they invented round matching. Then Sydney got Heeney with an end of first round pick, so they invented the points system. Then everyone gamed the points system so they restricted the number of picks you could take to the draft. Now that's been gamed too so they're messing with it again.

Similarly, they created NGAs but had a fit when they actually worked as intended and Ugle-Hagan went at #1, so then Melbourne didn't get Mac Andrew the next year. The AFL are incompetently run when it comes to the game or the competition, they're only any good at the commercial side.

Andrew Dillon and Laura Kane both shouldn’t be in their positions. Dillon is a General Counsel who has no business being the CEO and what qualification Kane has to be the #2 is beyond me; this will obviously offend of the typical types, but let’s be honest, her gender got her there because she is a moron.
I have no issue with a female being CEO or #2 but not her and not Dillon. They’ve already shown in this very short time they’re both out of their depth.

Considering the AFL is a massive boys club I doubt she got there because she’s a woman. If Dillon got there supposedly unqualified in your opinion then there’s literally nothing to suggest Kane didn’t get there the exact same way.

According to Wikipedia she was general manager of competition management (whatever the **** that means) so she was an internal promotion just like Dillon.

It’s not like they plucked Erin Phillips fresh from retirement with no qualifications. Might be a shit hire but I think it’s baseless (and shit) speculation on why.

I guess I’m the typical offended type whoops.

Considering the AFL is a massive boys club I doubt she got there because she’s a woman. If Dillon got there supposedly unqualified in your opinion then there’s literally nothing to suggest Kane didn’t get there the exact same way.

According to Wikipedia she was general manager of competition management (whatever the **** that means) so she was an internal promotion just like Dillon.

It’s not like they plucked Erin Phillips fresh from retirement with no qualifications. Might be a shit hire but I think it’s baseless (and shit) speculation on why.

I guess I’m the typical offended type whoops.
Pretty sure she started at North Melbourne, before moving to AFL house. And I'm sure I have read she did law at uni with Dillon.

Pretty sure she started at North Melbourne, before moving to AFL house. And I'm sure I have read she did law at uni with Dillon.
"Boys club" might no longer be an appropriate moniker, but it still is absolutely all about who you know.

"Boys club" might no longer be an appropriate moniker, but it still is absolutely all about who you know.

That’s true.

Would have preferred an external hire from any of the 18 clubs. I know Gale went to Tassie, I wish he got one of those two jobs though.

Not sure why Dillon and Kane (like Gil) have a position on the AA committee. Just a shit look and we have no idea how influential they possibly are.

I haven't been too impressed by Dillon, but am super impressed by Kane. She seems the most considered, strategic, and intelligent sports administrator I've just about seen in Australia every time I hear her speak. Reckon she is an absolute asset for the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they break the academy model it will impact us for a few years then we will finally have our own go home factor.

We start them on the afl the path, they love us for it and want to be a lion then they get interstare drafteed. do two years in a different system and come home just as they start to peak.

Won't that make the piggies squeal.

If they break the academy model it will impact us for a few years then we will finally have our own go home factor.

We start them on the afl the path, they love us for it and want to be a lion then they get interstare drafteed. do two years in a different system and come home just as they start to peak.

Won't that make the piggies squeal.
Because according to Laura Kane the Northern Academies should be for everyone the “spill and fill” effect in her words🙄

Because according to Laura Kane the Northern Academies should be for everyone the “spill and fill” effect in her words🙄

Where was this said, do you have a link?

Where was this said, do you have a link?
Sunday Footy Show they showed a segment of her interview on the weekend; how could you forget a comment like spill and fill to describe what our academies should be doing implying that they don’t and us norther teams are stockpiling them all which is not true particularly us who’ve had quite a few that we haven’t matched.

Unless you're inside an organisation you've got no idea really who's competent and who's not . Some people are hopeless but really good at marketing themselves and others do good work that gets largely unrewarded.

I've got no idea what goes on within the AFL . But I do know that Andrew Dillon is a great down to earth guy with no shit in him ,who played Amateur footy for a long time and was respected by anyone who came in contact with him.

Whether that qualifies him for any job at the AFL and whether he's half competent at it who knows, but you can rest assured he has high ethical standards and is a very hard worker.

FWIIW.

Sunday Footy Show they showed a segment of her interview on the weekend; how could you forget a comment like spill and fill to describe what our academies should be doing implying that they don’t and us norther teams are stockpiling them all which is not true particularly us who’ve had quite a few that we haven’t matched.
I haven't followed the Academy business or the F/S matching too closely but the Magpies got Darcy Moore and the Daicos Bros, out of F/S which is just about half their team so you wouldn't think the AFL would be too keen on tightening up F/S conditions any time soon.

If you look at every club right now, you'll probably find more of an ex-academy player than not. So surely that means it's working!

I just got around to watching this. No way they do it this year. Laura Kane's position is 'we might', in mid-June. When they allow future picks trading. The idea that clubs have been 'on notice' for 12 months about the change wouldn't be entirely true either in the context of the discussion on SEN. Clubs might have been on notice that the AFL was considering looking at the rules, not what those rules might be or that the AFL has made a decision to implement them (we still don't have a decision on that!).

It is kinda smart. Get people outraged about the when of the changes rather than the fact that they're making the changes.

Yeah, just as I thought.

No it's only about who you know for an incompetent or underqualified man, no woman could possibly get ahead through connections, it's only ever because of her gender, and if you disagree you're the typical offended type.

What Laura said was really dumb tbh.

Sorry, but she chucks a bomb in with no explanation or detail.

Bit of a head scratcher.

Yeah I think the AFL has made an error in judgement going down this path, because the only options are:
1) You're actually going to do it - in which case its just a moronic decision.
2) You're not actually going to do it but are taking the extreme position and will work backwards. Their view might be that it'll make the changes easier to sell + look like they listen to feedback. But IMO it just erodes confidence and lacks decisiveness on what should be a pretty straight forward decision, ie hey everyone we are changing these rules for 2025.

Yeah I think the AFL has made an error in judgement going down this path, because the only options are:
1) You're actually going to do it - in which case its just a moronic decision.
2) You're not actually going to do it but are taking the extreme position and will work backwards. Their view might be that it'll make the changes easier to sell + look like they listen to feedback. But IMO it just erodes confidence and lacks decisiveness on what should be a pretty straight forward decision, ie hey everyone we are changing these rules for 2025.
Any decent journo would've grilled her a lot harder on what she said . Is every club aware of this ? What exactly have you told them ? Were they all compliant , surprised ,unhappy ...?? So what is the AFL's blue print for when and how this will occur ?

I mean I know they're not Rhodes scholars but if you were a journo with a sniff for something smelly you'd be all over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back