List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't we going to have a logjam there too though? Rayner and Bailey already fulfil that role, with Kai, Charlie and Linc locking down the other small forward spots.
Bailey or Kai could go to a wing. I would prefer Kai because of his defensive intent but Bailey has played some decent footy as an attacking wing. We could also decide to go with two talls.
I fear Linc may have a hard time breaking into the team coming off an ACL.

And some more clips:

The "Allies 6" weren't as prominent in this one (none made the listed "Best Players"), but there was still something to view.
From Coates Talent League Rnd6 vs Eastern Ranges.

#20 Daniel Annable

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#37 Ty Gallop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#30 Ryan Gilder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#41 Tom Gillett

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#28 Fergus McFadyen

#39 Billy Richardson

And as a sidelight ........... most of these plays are seen in the individual clips above, but this complete passage of play, in the last minute, just about sums up the Academy's Coates League season (1 win, 2 close losses and a draw).

The Final Minute:

And some more clips:

The "Allies 6" weren't as prominent in this one (none made the listed "Best Players"), but there was still something to view.
From Coates Talent League Rnd6 vs Eastern Ranges.

Given the highlights are from a single game but i do like the way Gillet gets around the ground. Looks quite agile, taps with both hands and adequate collecting ground balls. I would really like for him to fall to the rookie list and see him develop over the next 3 season, a slow burn but well worth the investment.

One query for anyone in the know, is he the super comeptitive type? This tends to be a missing ingredient with talls that have a lot going for them but don't quite 'make it' at AFL level.

Given the highlights are from a single game but i do like the way Gillet gets around the ground. Looks quite agile, taps with both hands and adequate collecting ground balls. I would really like for him to fall to the rookie list and see him develop over the next 3 season, a slow burn but well worth the investment.

One query for anyone in the know, is he the super comeptitive type? This tends to be a missing ingredient with talls that have a lot going for them but don't quite 'make it' at AFL level.
From an interview with him earlier in the year, he has acknowledged that’s an area he needs to work on.

There are more game highlights posted here:

Coates Talent League Rnd 5
Under 18 Championships Game 7

I started posting these clips (not highlights - I try to show "warts & all") specifically at Champs Game 7 because that was the only game where Gillett was selected (and I thought he may be of interest to most on here).

My take is he is very agile and mobile for a ruckman, and does possess decent hand & foot skills.
He would need time to develop further (including physicality), but there is enough there to work with.

As our list currently stands and ignoring mooted rookie list changes, knee injury aside I think Kalin Lane is approaching a decision on elevation or delisting (help someone??). So I think another developing ruck may be on the cards. whether that be Gillett or not.

Dependent on who else might be available at the time, he is a likely option for consideration (with the extra tick of being a local boy).

I will be doing some other postings between now and the draft (unless no one is interested). And I will be focusing on Academy and late draft/rookie candidates, as I think they will be where our drafting will concentrate if we are successful in gaining enough points for Ashcroft and Marshall (as the majority believe we intend).

I do hope we don't jeopardise next years draft gaining points, because at this stage I would rather Annable next year than Marshall this year (if it came to that).

I do hope we don't jeopardise next years draft gaining points, because at this stage I would rather Annable next year than Marshall this year (if it came to that).
I don’t know what the changes to bid matching will look like, but under current rules, we can take a deficit in to the following year’s draft, and then do the same the following year.

Under the current rules, without the unknown changes, I would be confident of getting all three. Not sure if we would have enough future points to get any of the other academy kids next year.

If we can keep using future points to “pay” for kids in their draft year, we “should” be able to get at least our top rated academy kid each year.

There are more game highlights posted here:

Coates Talent League Rnd 5
Under 18 Championships Game 7

I started posting these clips (not highlights - I try to show "warts & all") specifically at Champs Game 7 because that was the only game where Gillett was selected (and I thought he may be of interest to most on here).

My take is he is very agile and mobile for a ruckman, and does possess decent hand & foot skills.
He would need time to develop further (including physicality), but there is enough there to work with.

As our list currently stands and ignoring mooted rookie list changes, knee injury aside I think Kalin Lane is approaching a decision on elevation or delisting (help someone??). So I think another developing ruck may be on the cards. whether that be Gillett or not.

Dependent on who else might be available at the time, he is a likely option for consideration (with the extra tick of being a local boy).

I will be doing some other postings between now and the draft (unless no one is interested). And I will be focusing on Academy and late draft/rookie candidates, as I think they will be where our drafting will concentrate if we are successful in gaining enough points for Ashcroft and Marshall (as the majority believe we intend).

Love your work Crasha.

Really liking Glider as a defensively focused third tall. Would like to see him get a game in the vfl. Hopefully we could get him as a rookie and let him develop further. All he needs is a headband and we can call him the “flying doormat”.

On developing rucks, I hope we can somehow keep Lane around the club while he completes his rehab. Whether he ever makes afl level I don’t know. Hard to say with rucks but I think he has the right touch of aggression for the role. A year of rehab building up his strength who knows. I think we can afford four rucks on the list. First selected ruck; ruck that can fill in if first ruck injured; close to debut ruck and developing ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you get the points for ashcroft and Marshall? I'd imagine Robertson is traded for maybe a late 2nd or 3rd. I think ashcroft will go from 4-10 and Morris 20-30 not sure how it gets done

Keep trading future firsts and AFL is even considering (maybe) to allow trading 2 years in advance.

Where do you get the points for ashcroft and Marshall? I'd imagine Robertson is traded for maybe a late 2nd or 3rd. I think ashcroft will go from 4-10 and Morris 20-30 not sure how it gets done
If bid matching rules aren’t changed for this year, trade our current first round pick to Richmond for their sh!t load of late second and third round picks for a massive point upgrade.

They just said that from the CEOs conference that the points to match bids will come in next year not this.

Also Simon Garlick (CEO of Freo) has pushed for the WA and QLD clubs (yes excludes SA (Gather Round) and NSW clubs (travel time isn’t enough) to be given an extra home game due to the amount of travel and apparently his proposal was met favourably.

They just said that from the CEOs conference that the points to match bids will come in next year not this.

Also Simon Garlick (CEO of Freo) has pushed for the WA and QLD clubs (yes excludes SA (Gather Round) and NSW clubs (travel time isn’t enough) to be given an extra home game due to the amount of travel and apparently his proposal was met favourably.
I like this idea.

At least they are pushing the AFL to try something different.

Who are they going to take home games off though.
So that would be 4 (VIC Clubs?) That they would have to take a Home game off? Am I reading that right.

Was in Melbourne today; happened to drive past and stopped at Brighton Grammar where they playing Haileybury (two elite private schools playing against each other (Ashcroft boys went to Brighton Grammar and Essendon McGrath and Matt Lloyd coaches Haileybury and I think the likes of King brothers went there, Weightman,l and a few others which would all be Sandringham Dragons territory, but anyway, seemed like kids of all ages from the schools were there all in uniform but in addition to people there for what I assume is a Brighton derby, there must have been at least 5.000 + there; it was actually quite surreal.

Anyway, without knowing, we left and as we were driving on Beach Road, Sandringham (Saints twos) were playing Southport and quickly stopped and whilst the weather was terrible there would have been lucky to have been 200-300.

Anyway having never seen elite private schools playing one another no less a derby I was generally stunned by how big the crowd was. Also noticed because we parked near them all these Rookie Me vans which I have no clue who they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back