Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge crowd at the brisbane AFLW game. I heard premiership players in attendance
Brighton Homes Arena is the training and administration base of the Brisbane Lions, so yes they will be there.

I don't think they do much at the Gabba these days besides the odd training session and of course play home games.

Where does Neale stack up compared to the best midfielders of the last 25 years?

I thought he was brilliant yesterday and a key reason Lions penetrated swans defence. He took responsibility for holding it abit longer to find the right option and helped manage their entries. A great grand final performance.

Along with his two Brownlows, 4 AA, and a Leigh Mathews trophy, for mine that grand final performance puts him at the top end of midfielders last 25 years.

Sammy still ahead - but he’s pretty good! 😉

I thought he was brilliant yesterday and a key reason Lions penetrated swans defence. He took responsibility for holding it abit longer to find the right option and helped manage their entries. A great grand final performance.

Along with his two Brownlows, 4 AA, and a Leigh Mathews trophy, for mine that grand final performance puts him at the top end of midfielders last 25 years.

Sammy still ahead - but he’s pretty good! 😉
With bias, I would say Sammy - just. 60 more games than Neale but boy is it close. I think Mitchell really pioneered the midfielder (along with GAJ) who wasn't overly quick over 30 metres, but had great agility, acceleration, clean first time hands and importantly, set up the right attacking option. Mitchell was a weapon off either hand or foot and had the ability to therefore keep the opposition guessing what we was going to do and was an absolute surgeon with his disposal. I don't think Neale quite has that overall potency on either side. Interestingly (and unsurprisingly) as the boys have surged this year, I see a lot of him in the way they choose their options: go one way, feint the other etc.

Where does Neale stack up compared to the best midfielders of the last 25 years?
Arguably has the cleanest hands below his knees in that time . Was brilliant yesterday and his finals series under duress has been understated imo .

25 years is a long time though . 1 better mid per side in that time has him just at the top 20 . So realistically he is beyond that imo .

For example do you take Neale or Cripps or Daicos or Trac ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arguably has the cleanest hands below his knees in that time . Was brilliant yesterday and his finals series under duress has been understated imo .

25 years is a long time though . 1 better mid per side in that time has him just at the top 20 . So realistically he is beyond that imo .

For example do you take Neale or Cripps or Daicos or Trac ?
I'd give Neale that attribute. His ability to run in and pick it up cleanly off his laces is amazing. Blessed with some amazing midfielders since 2000. I think Neale is different to a Cripps or Daicos. Daicos' poise and football IQ is off the charts, Cripps is an absolute beast, a midfielder taller than Wayne Carey.

With bias, I would say Sammy - just. 60 more games than Neale but boy is it close. I think Mitchell really pioneered the midfielder (along with GAJ) who wasn't overly quick over 30 metres, but had great agility, acceleration, clean first time hands and importantly, set up the right attacking option. Mitchell was a weapon off either hand or foot and had the ability to therefore keep the opposition guessing what we was going to do and was an absolute surgeon with his disposal. I don't think Neale quite has that overall potency on either side. Interestingly (and unsurprisingly) as the boys have surged this year, I see a lot of him in the way they choose their options: go one way, feint the other etc.

Mitchell’s ability to control the pace of a game, knowledge of what was needed at certain times is what sets him apart from others in my head. Being physically at the game, seeing him walking from stoppage to stoppage, ALWAYS getting the ball in positions to deliver the lethal blow. Was something else that guy. TV didn’t do it justice.

Oh and he was hard as a cats head too, genuinely tough. Him and Selwood were hard to kill

Heeney, lol, no... zero impact in three grand finals. Loved his limp post game yesterday, like he'd been shot. No such limp after the preceding two finals. The ultimate poseur. Fraud. Pissed off I went into the game hoping the Swans would win, what a gutless bunch of w***ers they really are. Rowbottom the only one to hold his head up, IMO.
"loss won't define us" says so much about the players and coach. Losing GF's is ok, every year one club does, but when you have lost the past four by a total of 226 points, sorry horse, that certainly "defines" you.

Heeney, lol, no... zero impact in three grand finals. Loved his limp post game yesterday, like he'd been shot. No such limp after the preceding two finals. The ultimate poseur. Fraud. Pissed off I went into the game hoping the Swans would win, what a gutless bunch of w***ers they really are. Rowbottom the only one to hold his head up, IMO.
"loss won't define us" says so much about the players and coach. Losing GF's is ok, every year one club does, but when you have lost the past four by a total of 226 points, sorry horse, that certainly "defines" you.

What can possibly be said that wasn’t said in 2022?

While someone has to lose a grand final its how you lose that defines your next season. Brisbane lost by a point and came back to win the flag the following year. We lost by 10 points in 2012 and then threepeated. Sydney had to show more resiliance and get back into the game, even if they lost by 18 points then at least there's hope that if you tweak a few things you are close. There was nothing to take out of that loss.

I hate this bullshit attitude.

All professional pundits get asked for predictions and nobody ever gets it 100%.

Kingy, like all others, will give an opinion based on whatever criteria he thinks is important in that individual match up.

Kingy the player was an absolute ****knuckle, but he is very good as a pundit. The way he interprets and articulates information is respected and copied throughout the industry.

Who cares that he gets some of the predictions wrong, or that we disagree with them.
Well that's an opinion but he still needs to be ridiculed at every opportunity for getting the 2014 grand final wrong by 21.5 goals. Even if it was a decade ago.

Well that's an opinion but he still needs to be ridiculed at every opportunity for getting the 2014 grand final wrong by 21.5 goals. Even if it was a decade ago.

He didn’t though - the graphic was wrong and he said Sydney would win by a couple of goals or something to that effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp 2024 Finals Discussion (other games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back