Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The season isn't just one game ... it takes the efforts of a multitude of players for a club to make a GF and win a Premiership

Does a Club win a Premeirship or do individual players win it? .... I don't see any players names etched onto the AFL Premeirship Cup .... only Club names

I am all for awarding players who played a significant role in helping the team get to a GF even if they themselves don't make that Final 22 ..... I am sure if you had a player vote ..... a vast majority would all agree
Do we award the players that make the grand final but lose?

The club wins the Premiership, those players become Premiership players. It’s the highest honor the game has, and to cheapen it by extending that honor to those who didn’t play won’t make any of those players happier.
I doubt there would be a single player who would want a premiership medal if they aren’t picked for the game. They know what it means to be a Premiership player.

The season isn't just one game ... it takes the efforts of a multitude of players for a club to make a GF and win a Premiership

Does a Club win a Premeirship or do individual players win it? .... I don't see any players names etched onto the AFL Premeirship Cup .... only Club names

I am all for awarding players who played a significant role in helping the team get to a GF even if they themselves don't make that Final 22 ..... I am sure if you had a player vote ..... a vast majority would all agree
I quite liked Dwayne Russell's idea yesterday.

The club can make a premiership squad medal for their players. It doesn't have to come from the AFL.

Don't they get a runners up medal? I remember vaguely Lenny Hayes mentioning it in his book

They get handed to them after the game in the rooms.
James Hird has one from 2001 so I assume they still hand it out

The club wins the Premiership, those players become Premiership players. It’s the highest honor the game has, and to cheapen it by extending that honor to those who didn’t play won’t make any of those players happier.
I doubt there would be a single player who would want a premiership medal if they aren’t picked for the game. They know what it means to be a Premiership player.
A few years back I played every game in the H & A season for my local club but got left out of the finals side when everyone came back from injuries. (I was 40 yo at the time so it was fair enough.) We went on to win the flag and at the piss-up afterwards the coach came over and placed his medal around my neck and said, "You deserved this, mate." I wore it for about half an hour then went back over to him and put it back around his neck. It just didn't feel right. And I don't think any player who didn't actually play on the day in an AFL granny would cherish a participation medal like that.

That's just my opinion having been through something similar myself.

A few years back I played every game in the H & A season for my local club but got left out of the finals side when everyone came back from injuries. (I was 40 yo at the time so it was fair enough.) We went on to win the flag and at the piss-up afterwards the coach came over and placed his medal around my neck and said, "You deserved this, mate." I wore it for about half an hour then went back over to him and put it back around his neck. It just didn't feel right. And I don't think any player who didn't actually play on the day in an AFL granny would cherish a participation medal like that.

That's just my opinion having been through something similar myself.
Same thing happened to me.

I probably would have accepted a recognition medal of some sort from the club but when it came to re-unions etc - you never really felt part of the premiership "team".

I'm not the only one who saw it that way. Plenty of people did. It wasn't just the moment... it was interviews after too. Barf city.

Regardless... Let's leave the premiership medals for those that play in a premiership.
No problem with a squad medal but you either played in the game or you didn’t. I also think the afl is a little different from some comps because we make very little of winning the home and away season, finals is essentially a new competition and all the glory goes to the premiership winners. Anyway there’s a lot of examples of everyone getting version's of say a Super Bowl ring but you’re not awarding them on the ground after the game, they present the trophy club does the rings.

Hard luck stories everywhere in sport do we really want a Gaylord Focker wall of fame.

1727399787053.jpeg

34 instances!
Of 3 Brownlow votes but no coaches votes, OR 10 coaches votes but no Brownlow votes.

In 1 season!

The Brownlow... is a joke.
We spend all year saying that the umpires don't have a feel for the game.
And we're shocked at end of season when they show they don't have a feel for the game.

Katy Perry for halftime is absolutely on brand for the afl, she played the superbowl in 2015 then quickly lost relevance.

This board all pretending they don’t know who she is is also on brand “Oh Kristy Perry, never heard of her”. Righto boomer.

Katy Perry for halftime is absolutely on brand for the afl, she played the superbowl in 2015 then quickly lost relevance.

This board all pretending they don’t know who she is is also on brand “Oh Kristy Perry, never heard of her”. Righto boomer.
snoop dogg GIF by Katy Perry

Not just boomer, going by her past self.

The AFL is about 15 years behind music. I'd expect Taylor Swift to play 15 years from now.

Until the afl and teams embrace utilizing the entire 44 man squad throughout the season strategically I’m against giving non playing individuals a medal for the gf.

If teams actually manage the list and play the majority of them then go for it.
We really do just focus on playing the best 22 every week and leave the rest to ‘develop’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Katy Perry as a choice for the GF entertainment as long as she sings her old good songs and not her new shit songs.

Kiss delivered last year just playing their old hits and none of their newer shit songs which was all their songs after about 1980.

Not sure I agree. I think a few of us have had that in between experience.

Oh come on, he spent time at the Hawks and the Dee's, that's going to leave some lost braincells that he has NFI what a draw is, and, since his first name is Jordan and there's obviously far more talented and successful people with that name, he has to find some reason to look like a condescending POS.

They should have gotten Survivor, as they've 40 odd past members I'm sure they could have filled out half time on the cheap.

Reel big fish could have split that coin comfortably.

Callum Ah Chee for norm smith imo.
Lions by 12

As were giving picks, yesterday work asked the same question and outside of the interstate people being all "what?", copy paste of my response;

Lions
J Daniher for norm so we can see his dirty sanchez moustache and shit eating grin on all tabloids.

I did censor shit to "adult material" just because managers were around and joining in. You know, proper work language.

I know I'm not the target audience, but I don't really know why there even needs to be any pre game entertainment, it is a football match, not a concert. I'm not going to feel sorry for how much footballers earn, but it doesn't seem right that she makes more than 5 times the yearly salary of any player on the field tomorrow for about half an hour of work.

I know I'm not the target audience, but I don't really know why there even needs to be any pre game entertainment, it is a football match, not a concert. I'm not going to feel sorry for how much footballers earn, but it doesn't seem right that she makes more than 5 times the yearly salary of any player on the field tomorrow for about half an hour of work.

Marquee match that gets televised internationally to sell the product as a pinnacle, so you get entertainment since it's not just the sport that is the entertainment, it's the business model.

As you then go into discussion to grab extra monies and redo contract situations from that point.

So yes, if you can arrange for entertainment, you get entertainment, same reason why the Superbowl in the USA gets mad money for advertising, as you know eyes will be on your sporting product, so you milk that cow for all its worth. Frankly, we're tiny, so no one really gives a damn about "round 17 grand final rematch, 24 goals apiece and PHWOAR" type games, but they if there is any interest, will generally tune into the grand final to see best of best of that sporting event they have NFI about.

Marquee match that gets televised internationally to sell the product as a pinnacle, so you get entertainment since it's not just the sport that is the entertainment, it's the business model.

As you then go into discussion to grab extra monies and redo contract situations from that point.

So yes, if you can arrange for entertainment, you get entertainment, same reason why the Superbowl in the USA gets mad money for advertising, as you know eyes will be on your sporting product, so you milk that cow for all its worth. Frankly, we're tiny, so no one really gives a damn about "round 17 grand final rematch, 24 goals apiece and PHWOAR" type games, but they if there is any interest, will generally tune into the grand final to see best of best of that sporting event they have NFI about.
I can't wait to see Kendrick Lamar call Drake a Pedophile in the half time show, that is going to rule. I guess I see your point, I'm already invested in the half time entertainment, without having any idea who will be playing in the Superbowl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back