Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Neale was BOG yesterday in my view. Not dropping off at all.
He was good, but it used to be that you shut him down you shut them down and I don't think that's the case. I would have had him behind Ashcroft and Lohmann, the latter dropped off late but I think he was the most influential player early when the game was live.

Brisbane are getting another Ashcroft that’s even better than his brother and 4 of their best 22 back from ACL’s.
Doesn’t seem fair but it is what it is.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they are top 2 next year.

Heard Lingy on the ABC Radio Wrap this morning , and he said Brett Deledio told him yesterday that Lions also get an Academy player who Deledio rates as a pick 15-20 type player at this stage

Heard Lingy on the ABC Radio Wrap this morning , and he said Brett Deledio told him yesterday that Lions also get an Academy player who Deledio rates as a pick 15-20 type player at this stage

They've got Levi Ashcroft who's rated as one of the best young players and then there's Sam Marshall who's also said to be a first round pick

They've got Levi Ashcroft who's rated as one of the best young players and then there's Sam Marshall who's also said to be a first round pick
What a reward for winning the flag 😂
****ing ridiculous.
They’ll win it again next year. They already had a heap of injuries this year and still won it.

Last edited:
I asked the following in the trade thread - but when you factor in the following, is there anyone from the Lions to target from a trade perspective?

That’s seriously depressing for the rest of the competition.

Didn’t they get enough advantages in the early 00’s?

Hopefully a few of their players get targeted and are traded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s seriously depressing for the rest of the competition.

Didn’t they get enough advantages in the early 00’s?

Hopefully a few of their players get targeted and are traded.
Can't blame them for the existence of the Father Son rule, and besides, we could not take another F/S for the next 50 years and still have benefited from that rule more than any club in AFL history

Champion Data - What a joke -

AFL PLAYER RATINGS FROM 2024 GRAND FINAL

1. Lachie Neale, Brisbane Lions (21.5 points)
2. Will Ashcroft, Brisbane Lions (19.3)
3. Brodie Grundy, Sydney Swans (19.2)
4. James Rowbottom, Sydney Swans (17)
5. Robbie Fox, Sydney Swans (15.3)

6. Luke Parker, Sydney Swans (14.7)

4 of the top 6 'rated' players on the ground were Sydney players?

Luke Parker better and more influential than both Lohmann and Ah Chee?

Surely ANYONE who works at Champion Data would look at this and think.... Hmmm, perhaps how we do our ratings is SERIOUSLY flawed..
It has to be a joke.
Grundy tried all day- I’ll give him that.

Champion Data - What a joke -

AFL PLAYER RATINGS FROM 2024 GRAND FINAL

1. Lachie Neale, Brisbane Lions (21.5 points)
2. Will Ashcroft, Brisbane Lions (19.3)
3. Brodie Grundy, Sydney Swans (19.2)
4. James Rowbottom, Sydney Swans (17)
5. Robbie Fox, Sydney Swans (15.3)

6. Luke Parker, Sydney Swans (14.7)

4 of the top 6 'rated' players on the ground were Sydney players?

Luke Parker better and more influential than both Lohmann and Ah Chee?

Surely ANYONE who works at Champion Data would look at this and think.... Hmmm, perhaps how we do our ratings is SERIOUSLY flawed..
Eh, footy is a 22-player game.

Can't blame them for the existence of the Father Son rule, and besides, we could not take another F/S for the next 50 years and still have benefited from that rule more than any club in AFL history
Isn’t Marshall an academy player?

Yeah agree with the f/s comment. Just a bitter pill to swallow after they’ve just won a flag but rules are rules I guess.

The hard part is that it used to be pretty easy to prepare to play Brissy. Tag neale? Check. Keep Cameron quiet? Check. Job done.

Now they still have Cameron but Lohmann and Ah Chee are running wild. Neale is dropping off but Dunkley and Ashcroft are a menace.
Neale was fantastic yesterday- could have been NS winner

Yeah agree with the f/s comment. Just a bitter pill to swallow after they’ve just won a flag but rules are rules I guess.
Look at All the 3-peat coaches around at present.
Whether this team gets a chance at that again remains to be seen, but worth recalling that 2001-2003 team never finished on top.
But no wonder they have the F-S opportunities, as should we with Enright, Wojo, Mooney and whoever else has sons that play AFL.

Neale was fantastic yesterday- could have been NS winner
I also thought Lohmann was bloody good. Especially early when the heat was on. He was good against us too.
I haven’t seen the votes yet but I’m assuming both he and Neale were right up there.

Sorry, maybe im missing something, but with their draft hand how do they get two top 5 draft prospects to the club? I can see them paying to match a bid for one, but how can they get both Levi and Sam across the line in the same year? Collingwood needed a whole bunch of picks just to get Naicos over to them. We will probably need years worth of picks if any of our F/S end up being elite. But Brisbane can get Levi and Sam?

It's also a bit stupid that Sam can be playing for Sandringham U18 and still be an academy prospect for them. The whole point of academy players is that they are coming from non traditional football backgrounds and being developed outside the elite pathways available in Victoria. If you can send an academy prospect to Melbourne and have him play in those elite leagues you cant claim him as an "academy" player.

I also thought Lohmann was bloody good. Especially early when the heat was on. He was good against us too.
I haven’t seen the votes yet but I’m assuming both he and Neale were right up there.
Was Ashcroft (14 of possible 15 votes), Neale (8) Ah Chee (7) then Lohmann, who only got one vote. Nobody else got any votes. Right mix of players, but wrong order in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Grand Final - South Melbourne vs Fitzroy, Sat 28 Sept at MCG 2:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back