List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

"O’Halloran, who has caught the Bulldogs’ eye, also has a year left on his contract, meaning the Giants do not have to, and so far, are unwilling to, trade either him or Derksen."
This part is interesting. We've refused trade requests in the past.
That's normally what clubs always say regardless of wanting to keep or trade a player. But could see us holding onto O'Halloran especially if Peatling leaves. In contrast I would give it about a 1% percent chance of us choosing to hold onto Derksen.

Logan Smith (ruck) - probably second to fourth round pick, depending on whether a club wants to develop a junior ruck
Josia Delana (undersized midfielder) - possibly gets through to a rookie selection, otherwise a late pick
Cooper bell as well, tall defender/forward that played a few vfl games

I wonder if sydney now shows any interest in our players.
I think both clubs could benefit from some trade, but they won't happen ( eg Warner, McLean for Callaghan, Riccardi).
I am just joking about this.
The grand final showed the only team with say a top 6 backline, forward line, midfield won.
Brisbane's only real weakness was goal kicking accuracy.
Sydney just didn't have enough quality in key forward and key backs.

Either way, we've got form for enabling or refusing trade requests.
It really depends whether the recruiting club goes the low ball and also how much service the player has given us.

Pretty wild to think that if everyone goes that has been suggested it will almost be a 1/4 of our list gone. We probably haven't had this kind of turn over since our cap and list size was cut with just about no notice but unlike then no top end guys are going.
Yes, which is a concerning outcome for us. I had thought we were past the days of losing swathes of guys. But as I've previously said, it only takes a few cashed up clubs to make a concerted raid for 1 player (each) on our list, and the aggregated effect can easily exceed our capacity to match offers.

We won't get value in the trade or FA compo for these guys. While there is (IMHO) potential quality in guys later in the draft order that we could select, the problem is any draftee is still speculative, and they need time to develop both their AFL-level skills and their understanding of our game plan.

We might go backwards in 2025 because of these losses, not because our main team is weaker, but because we lose the next layer of experienced guys to cover for injuries etc.

So, any new thoughts on players we could look to backfill any of these losses?

What about Dev Robertson from Lions? Definitely there are issues as to why he's not getting a game with their AFL team, but Lions are stacked in the midfield, and if we lose Peatling is he an option as a grunt? dlanod will have a view. Of course, as a WA boy, he might prefer and get better offers to head home.

Anyone on Swans list we could potentially target?

So, any new thoughts on players we could look to backfill any of these losses?

What about Dev Robertson from Lions? Definitely there are issues as to why he's not getting a game with their AFL team, but Lions are stacked in the midfield, and if we lose Peatling is he an option as a grunt? dlanod will have a view. Of course, as a WA boy, he might prefer and get better offers to head home.

Anyone on Swans list we could potentially target?
I really like Devon Robinson and if we were to lose Peatling and XOH, I'd advocate for that.
I'd be sniffing around Melbourne. Lots of dissatisfied players there I'd reckon. Although I'd love Petracca (who wouldn't) I'm looking a bit more at the middle of the list.

I think growth from within will be the clubs focus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical if all of the mentioned end up leaving:
Idun Taylor Whitfield
Ash Buckley Fonti
Callaghan Cogs Kelly
Greene Cadman Ricca
Jones Hogan Daniels
Briggs Green Snooze

Ward HH Muff Brown/Rowston/Leake etc

We would probably take an extra first round and a few extra second and third rounders to the draft.

Big draft if we don’t recruit any mature players.

Caruso et al. have done a superb job with our draft hands since they took over… they will be licking their lips.

Where do the opportunities lie if we are looking to trade up?
I agree it's a great side on paper who will easily be in Top 8, I would argue that we need to recruit an experienced midfielder or two given Cog and Kelly's inevitable natural decline. We need a big body when Tom Green needs help throughout the season.

I agree it's a great side on paper who will easily be in Top 8, I would argue that we need to recruit an experienced midfielder or two given Cog and Kelly's inevitable natural decline. We need a big body when Tom Green needs help throughout the season.

Plus Cogs is going to have a late start to the preseason and only played 15 games this season so obviously getting close to the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back