F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction - hope I'm wrong, but just feel like I've seen this movie before.

Piastri gets a fractionally better start off the line, forcing Norris to defend wide, aggressively pushing Oscar off line on the opening corner exit, slowing them both down. Piastri gives Norris extra room to avoid contact, further compromising his exit (Commentators praise Norris for his defensive positioning).

Max follows Norris through the corner to take 2nd, and Sainz uses a cleaner exit to get inside Piastri into turn 2, before he also runs wide and damages Piastri's car. (Sainz comes over the radio blaming Piastri; Piastri makes a dry joke and gets on with it but is lacking top-speed). Brundle calls it a racing incident, the rest of commentary think Piastri should have conceded and admitted fault with his sarcastic comment.

Norris and Max disappear into the distance, Sainz losing half a second per lap - but Piastri and Hamilton unable to pass. 15 laps later, Oscar finally gets past Sainz who immediately pits, as does Hamilton, Verstappen and a lap later Norris - Piastri takes the lead.

McLaren leave Oscar out for an extra few laps to try and help Lando, but the speed differential is too great and both Lando and Max fly past Oscar on the same lap. Oscar finally pits and comes out in 5th, now 15 seconds behind Lewis and Sainz - where he finishes, unable to make a late overtake despite closing rapidly in the latter stages with fresher tyres.

Somewhere in the race, DR gets caught behind Magnussen after attempting an undercut and loses 5 positions.

i noticed a couple of oscar t-shirts in the crowd. i want oscar to win this one if only to see how surly lando gets.
Once Oscar is at Lando's level I think things will get interesting. I think Oscar understands his ability and role at the moment.

Once Oscar is at Lando's level I think things will get interesting. I think Oscar understands his ability and role at the moment.
And it helps that his super performances in only his second year of F1 are going under the media radar atm - although I suspect that is just the perspective we get from the English Sky F1 team.

No doubt his team and others in pitlane know just how friggin' good he is.

i noticed a couple of oscar t-shirts in the crowd. i want oscar to win this one if only to see how surly lando gets.
As much as I want him to win as well (knowing that for the last 4 years, Pole has not won the race) and although PIA will have a very good chance of taking the lead from NOR at the start given the run down to Turn 1, in his post quali interview yesterday he did imply that they will play the team game to ensure no one else (i.e VER) jumps them at the start. NOR's post quali interview also seemed to imply that he wanted to ensure they got through turn 1 in their current order...

I can't help but think McLaren are going to use PIA as a rear gunner to protect NOR, they will use PIA to cover VER if RBR try the under cut etc which will probably screw PIA's chances of winning but probably help secure a 1-2 result for McLaren.

This has been a shocking weekend for Tsunoda, even before that massive crash in quali.

His fiery temper was on display in pit lane conversations with his engineer that show, yet again, he doesn't deal well with things not going 100% his way. He's no longer a rookie and that attitude issue will not go down well with team managers.

This has been a shocking weekend for Tsunoda, even before that massive crash in quali.

His fiery temper was on display in pit lane conversations with his engineer that show, yet again, he doesn't deal well with things not going 100% his way. He's no longer a rookie and that attitude issue will not go down well with team managers.

It is one of the reasons he is no shot at the Red Bull seat, IMO.

he’s often within a bee’s dick of lando now. just seems lando gets the rub of the green from mclaren. and when stuff-ups occur oscar seems to get “oh well” while with lando it’s a major examination.

his "role" should be give him an even break.

he’s often within a bee’s dick of lando now. just seems lando gets the rub of the green from mclaren. and when stuff-ups occur oscar seems to get “oh well” while with lando it’s a major examination.

his "role" should be give him an even break.
Oscar is an excellent driver and will be a world championship contender at some point but Lando is McLaren's #1 diver because he is the better driver at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yuki is basically bulletproof, while Honda continue to supply engines to the F1 paddock. Honda, and their insistence on having a Japanese driver in one of their cars, are basically the only reason he has an F1 drive.

And it helps that his super performances in only his second year of F1 are going under the media radar atm - although I suspect that is just the perspective we get from the English Sky F1 team.

No doubt his team and others in pitlane know just how friggin' good he is.
Win/win position for him really. He's not expected to beat Lando but is getting better and better. It's unlikely if they get to same level at their age they stay in the same team, one of the other top teams will poach one of them.

I used to enjoy the pre show of SkyF1 now it’s just how much British content can we jam in in 90 mins.
It’s like Fox News America with Trump or Sky News after dark here in Oz it’s become unwatchable unless you’re part of the cult.

Sky really pushing the "PIA needs to work with NOR and not fight for the lead into T1" angle hard.
NOR also saying that they need to work as a team and not fight against each other.

You just know that if NOR botches the start and PIA beats him off the line into T1, NOR will fight PIA tooth and nail :sweatsmile:

McLaren telling their drivers they need work as a team. 😂 in other words, Oscar shut up when we give all the advantages to Nando even if you’re in the lead. Nando will cry until you let him pass, that’s good for the team.

xuwn5x0qttdd1.jpeg

8nv4exd6ytdd1.jpeg

Note: The McLaren's used medium and hard are scrubbed so basically brand new.

Sky really pushing the "PIA needs to work with NOR and not fight for the lead into T1" angle hard.
NOR also saying that they need to work as a team and not fight against each other.

You just know that if NOR botches the start and PIA beats him off the line into T1, NOR will fight PIA tooth and nail :sweatsmile:
That was quoting Norris

McLaren telling their drivers they need work as a team. 😂 in other words, Oscar shut up when we give all the advantages to Nando even if you’re in the lead. Nando will cry until you let him pass, that’s good for the team.

*Lando. Nando is Alonso.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back