F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I'd love to see the onboard of - managing traffic with lapped cars later in the race. I've noticed previously that Piastri is sometimes a little clumsy with backmarkers, catching them at awkward spots on the track, double-guessing where others (Max, Lewis, Lando) are all far more decisive.

Piastri got held up behind Ocon (twice!), and Hulkenberg for multiple corners, whereas Hulk was shown almost stopped on track to let Lando passed (shown on the broadcast). I wonder if it's just an experience thing or a result of Piastri's more cautious approach on track.

And McLaren explained why they did it. It wasn’t a case of Lando thinking of it first, there was no choice from the drivers, it was team orders.
Either or, no one can call this a meritorious win. The win was given with team orders, not Oscar making up the time and passing Lando.

I'd rather see Oscar making up the time and passing Lando for the win, instead of team orders bs giving it to him.

Win on MERIT! NOT on team orders.

What seems to have been lost in the Verstappen Hamilton thing is Verstappen‘s radio comms the lap prior. Verstappen complained about Hamilton turning in on him, only to be bluntly told Hamilton was ahead. Next lap, dive bomb and a lock up by Verstappen to ensure he was ahead.

You're ignoring the facts being presented to you again and again. Norris was only in front to protect the 1-2 as ordered by McLaren. It was always part of the teams plan to give it back.

On pure pace for 2 thirds of the race Piastri was faster.

Your boy is a nonce and the whole world saw it today.

I guess some poms are still crying about the euros and losing the Tories. I suppose It's an emotionally charged time for you lot, losing again and again.
1. I'm not a pom, I'm an Aussie.

2. Lando was faster when it mattered most, at the end of the race.

3. Lando is not 'my boy'

4. And most importantly, I wanted to see Oscar win on merit, i:e making up the time to the leader and passing, NOT given the win on 'team orders' bs.

norris attempted to cut across oscar at the start cos oscar was going to pass him. max going to pass norris to the left caused him to centre the car which allowed oscar the pass. otherwise oscar could have been in trouble.

oscar was disadvantaged at the 1st pitstop cos mclaren wanted track position over hamilton to protect a 1, 2 finish. it was then they agreed oscar would not be disadvantaged by that decision.

norris kept disobeying team orders right until he was given an ultimatum. like max, he’s not a team player, but a selfish prick. can drive though.

i wonder whether had norris’s good m8 zak been in charge team orders would have changed in favor of zak’s love child.

What seems to have been lost in the Verstappen Hamilton thing is Verstappen‘s radio comms the lap prior. Verstappen complained about Hamilton turning in on him, only to be bluntly told Hamilton was ahead. Next lap, dive bomb and a lock up by Verstappen to ensure he was ahead.
GP was having none of Max's shitty attitude during that race, it was great.

Either or, no one can call this a meritorious win. The win was given with team orders, not Oscar making up the time and passing Lando.

I'd rather see Oscar making up the time and passing Lando for the win, instead of team orders bs giving it to him.

Win on MERIT! NOT on team orders.
There's an irony in your statement here - had Lando won, it would've been no more a meritorious win than Oscar's.

Looks like a lot in here are a bit p155ed at me pointing out that the team orders gave Oscar the win, and have a hankering to find semantic reasons to prove that Oscar won this meritoriously.

Instead of being so sensitive, convince the world that McClaren didn't give the win to Oscar through team orders bs.

This was not a meritorious win, IF Oscar made up the time to the leader and past the leader for the win, then it would've been meritorious, not this way.

That's all I'm saying, if you wanna be sensitive and reactive about it, then go ahead, not fussed.

I've always loved Hamilton so not sure if this is just me but it seems to me like he's very quickly moving into the territory Vettel did once he got older.

Fans seem to be warming to him more than I've ever seen. Not sure if it's that he's just not winning anymore but I've noticed a big shift in people's attitude towards him.
Seems to happen alot..
Hated at the top. When they're ruthless and/or souless.
Loved when they come off that high and show a little more humility. Already achieved what they needed to so its more about the love and passion for the sport and it shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He 100% proved he was a great teammate. Apart from lap 1, Norris was the better driver. If he was allowed to properly race piastri properly, I think Lando overtakes Oscar easily and wins that grand prix.

Norris is a young Sir Lewis Hamilton, with the same humility.
I guess you missed the race then, for large parts of the race Oscar increased his lead over Lando, fact.

Lando was faster at the end of the race and was aided through pit strategy.

Last edited:
How often is the driver in second pitted before the driver in first when there is no realistic threat from third ?
Either or, doesn't take away the fact the Oscar was aided by team orders.

Would Oscar have won without team orders? We won't ever know, but highly unlikely, and I would've rather Oscar won without the benefit of team orders.

He 100% proved he was a great teammate. Apart from lap 1, Norris was the better driver. If he was allowed to properly race piastri properly, I think Lando overtakes Oscar easily and wins that grand prix.

Norris is a young Sir Lewis Hamilton, with the same humility.
WOW straight from the Hambone cult now the Nando cult. Humility 😂 neither of them have it. Nando only got in front because McLaren under cut Oscar.
Nando is a petulant sook, listen to him over his whole career but you’re a cult member so nothing will change you.

I've always loved Hamilton so not sure if this is just me but it seems to me like he's very quickly moving into the territory Vettel did once he got older.

Fans seem to be warming to him more than I've ever seen. Not sure if it's that he's just not winning anymore but I've noticed a big shift in people's attitude towards him.

The wonders of selective televising of the coverage.

I'm willing to bet he still moans a lot (which WDC never did?), but when he was no longer contending the F1 coverage didn't bother. And besides, in this race for example with Max and Lando, there are plenty of front runners who don't hold back on radio.

And also I think that - no matter if you are a fan or an anti-fan of Lewis - you cannot deny he is passionate about his job and social justice issues like Vettel was.

1. I'm not a pom, I'm an Aussie.

2. Lando was faster when it mattered most, at the end of the race.

3. Lando is not 'my boy'

4. And most importantly, I wanted to see Oscar win on merit, i:e making up the time to the leader and passing, NOT given the win on 'team orders' bs.
How so? Coz Lando pitted 1st? What's your reasoning?

You're proving you don't understand the sport with every post. And consistently making contradictory points.

If you don't think he won on merit you don't understand F1.

Last edited:
But what you are choosing to ignore (despite it being pointed out to you by multiple posters) is that the situation where team orders needed to be applied only resulted because of an unorthodox pit strategy that unfairly benefited the second driver.

Ok then, prove to me 'team order' wins have merit over wins by making up time and passing the leader for the win.

I'll wait.
See below
But what you are choosing to ignore (despite it being pointed out to you by multiple posters) is that the situation where team orders needed to be applied only resulted because of an unorthodox pit strategy that unfairly benefited the second driver.

You just don't get it. You keep repeating "It WaS tEaM oRdErS" that won Piastri the race, without acknowledging it was team orders on 2 separate occasions that put Lando in a position to win.

Looks like a lot in here are a bit p155ed at me pointing out that the team orders gave Oscar the win, and have a hankering to find semantic reasons to prove that Oscar won this meritoriously.

Instead of being so sensitive, convince the world that McClaren didn't give the win to Oscar through team orders bs.

This was not a meritorious win, IF Oscar made up the time to the leader and past the leader for the win, then it would've been meritorious, not this way.

That's all I'm saying, if you wanna be sensitive and reactive about it, then go ahead, not fussed.
Team orders are what put Oscar behind in the first place with the pit stop order so end of story, Oscar pits first as he should have he wins outright, but as usual McLaren takes the gloss off it with stupid orders.

I think someone is failing to realise that Lando only ever obtained the lead due to team orders in the first place. Oscar was told to manage his tires as Lando was not a threat to him and McLaren would handle the situation, hence Oscar stopped pulling out the gap that he was constantly building lap after lap during the race. McLaren also gave Norris the favourable pit strategy twice, again, due to team orders.

If there was no team orders at all, Piastri would have won by an even larger margin as he was pulling a gap on Lando lap after lap until told to manage tires as a team order.

Even then, we'll never know if Oscar would be able to win it on merit, rather than win it on team orders.

Yeah I get Lando was aided through pitting 1st, but that doesn't confirm that that was the difference between Oscar and Lando.

Wouldn't you rather Oscar win it on merit rather than team orders?

Don't understand why many on here are so defensive about this, it's not a meritorious win, whichever way you slice and dice it.

Would Oscar have won without team orders? We won't ever know, but highly unlikely, and I would've rather Oscar won without the benefit of team orders.
That's assuming Lando could have past Piastri without the aid of a pitting earlier preference, which was only done to ensure a 1/2 finish. This happened on both Mclaren pitstops

Personally, i think that Lando new if he addressed the team orders earlier that he probably would not have been able to overtake Piastri anyway on this particular circuit.

Look how much trouble Verstappen was having on the medium tyre trying to pass Hamilton who was on much older hard tyres.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back