F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, it's no different to reading through a thread on here with either of the Aussies.

People have clear biases for their fellow countrymen.

I know but this is going overboard. They (all the F1 media) are choosing to ignore the fact that Lando was told when Oscar boxed that they are going to switch positions. They are choosing to ignore the fact that he could have swapped straight away and then raced Oscar to the end. He had 22 laps from when Oscar boxed until the end of the race. There was more than enough time to switch and then have a full on sprint to the line. The consensus is that Lando is blameless and deserves no hate when the fact is he does deserve some heat over the way he handled the situation behaving like a complete campaigner.

There is having a bias and then there is just straight up overlooking any and all faults when a situation arises.

As for Verstappen, wow. He's lost all composure. Blaming Hamilton for that is just absurd, even for him.

I'd be having a very tough conversation with him around professionalism. How many other drivers are up until 3 in the morning, with their mind on something else entirely? He gets away with it when they're winning but with the car where it is, they need Max at 110% and I'm starting to doubt that's where he is.

Then there's the blatant disrespect over the radio. I get it, shit strategy. But you win and lose as a team.

Can see him ending up at Mercedes sooner rather than later if they don't get on top of this.
Max has received a lot of praise over his improved maturity over the past couple years, think we might be seeing he hasn't matured he was just so far ahead.

He is still the best driver on the grid probably and already an all time great but wow he isn't a kid anymore. Needs to pull his head in sometimes.

Piastri has been pineappled by McLaren so many times in the past, that it was great to hear all the calls to Lando from the pit wall, pleading with Lando to let Piastri past again.

Lando was extremely reluctant, but the McLaren team were VERY insistent - and he eventually capitulated.

Very happy for Piastri, and it was nice to see him getting the benefit of team orders for a change, rather than suffering from team **** ups.
Hopefully this board can chill on the conspiracy theories now that Mclaren intentionally ruin Oscars races to help Lando. They are showing they want what is best for the team.

Hopefully this board can chill on the conspiracy theories now that Mclaren intentionally ruin Oscars races to help Lando. They are showing they want what is best for the team.

While I don't personally buy into the conspiracy theories, I fully believe this was nothing more than McLaren trying to save some amount of face rather than what is best for the team. They finished 1-2 so swapping Lando and Oscar made no difference to the team at all. There was always going to be one extremely pissed off driver no matter which decision they made.

I'm particularly bemused by this quote from Hamilton:
I saw him coming from a long way back and he was able to brake a lot later than me, but he sent it up the inside.
No, Lewis... there's a difference between him choosing to brake a lot later, and him actually being able to do it. The fact that he locked up, and would have massively overshot the corner if he didn't hit you first, says that he wasn't "able" to do it - but he did it anyway.

Max's current attitude seems to be "either you let me through or we crash". This is not safe driving by an F1 driver, and the sooner he is pulled in front of the driving standards people the better.

Don't know if it's been posted already or not but apparently stroll didn't follow team orders and refused to give Alonso his spot back

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

Don't know if it's been posted already or not but apparently stroll didn't follow team orders and refused to give Alonso his spot back

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

He is the one driver who can tell the team to go and do one with no consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and removes any merit in the win, coz we'll never know, we can only speculate.
No we can use this crazy concept called common sense... If you are going to claim that team orders take away merit from a win then most drivers have never won on merit.

The odds of Lando catching and overtaking Oscar if he didn't get given the preferential pits are slim, if you want to pull the 'but we will never know' suit yourself. Most people watching can clearly see that Lando was going to have a hard task catching him and even IF he managed to he would than have to pass him on a track that is hard to do so on.

Also as you are so obsessed with facts here are some. Facts are Oscar led the entire race until the team strategy gifted that spot to Lando, Oscar led the entire race 'on merit' and was never overtaken.

I'm particularly bemused by this quote from Hamilton:

No, Lewis... there's a difference between him choosing to brake a lot later, and him actually being able to do it. The fact that he locked up, and would have massively overshot the corner if he didn't hit you first, says that he wasn't "able" to do it - but he did it anyway.

Max's current attitude seems to be "either you let me through or we crash". This is not safe driving by an F1 driver, and the sooner he is pulled in front of the driving standards people the better.

Senna had a similar philosophy. Obviously in death we venerate him but if he didn't pass away prematurely (and continued driving his way) we'd vilify him too. It makes you a multiple WDC, though...

Lewis was being diplomatic. Maybe too much.

No further action. Amazing (but not surprising - would surely have been a grid place penalty for the next race if it was a lower order driver).

View attachment 2055435

Edit: the dive bomb move that was deemed acceptable by the FIA stewards in case anyone missed it:

Yes Mr Twitter hero. You are missing something.
There was an opening that Max went for. As most F1 drivers would.
I’ve seen many a similar incident this year where the car on the inside has locked up. Most have not ended in contact because the driver on the inside turns his wheel the opposite direction, knowing full well the car on the inside is never going to make the corner.
Hamilton, sorry, GOAT, decided he didn’t need to do that.
Maybe’s it’s his age and slower responses.

I’ve seen many a similar incident this year where the car on the inside has locked up. Most have not ended in contact because the driver on the inside turns his wheel the opposite direction, knowing full well the car on the inside is never going to make the corner.

You are on your own for this one. You know Max is in the wrong when even Rosberg is defending Lewis.

LMFAO no... Max dive bombed Lewis and basically said get out of my way or we will make contact. Lewis held his racing line.

Only one driver was in the wrong here and it wasn't Lewis.

It's not speculation it's a fact. Do you understand what an undercut is?
Please actually define an undercut so we can confirm you actually understand what you are arguing against.
If not then you're either trolling or you have no understanding of how F1/racing in general works.
Wouldn't you rather Oscar make up the time and pass Lando instead of team orders giving him the lead? You know an undeniable meritorious win?

As Oscars self confessed #1 fan I am left with mixed emotions, wrapped for him to get his 1st win after following him for many years but at the same time gutted for him that it played out this way and didn't give him or us the emotional high it should have done.

Mclaren box him 1st and he wins a dominate 1st victory leading from start to finish, instead they cover off a car they could have done the following lap and here we are left feeling empty.

I predicted his 1st win would come at Spa next week, now I am hoping he makes it a dominate performance and gets to enjoy it without reservation.

He 100% proved he was a great teammate. Apart from lap 1, Norris was the better driver. If he was allowed to properly race piastri properly, I think Lando overtakes Oscar easily and wins that grand prix.
Maybe he should've given the lead back 20 laps earlier when the team asked him to instead of continually whinging like a petulant entitled brat, and back himself in as the "better driver" to race and overtake Piastri with more than a third of the race to go instead of leaving it to the final two laps.

Wouldn't you rather Oscar make up the time and pass Lando instead of team orders giving him the lead? You know an undeniable meritorious win?

Wouldn't you rather Lando make up the time and pass Oscar, instead of team orders giving him the lead?

I'd rather McLaren stopped using team orders to advantage Lando. It's pretty clear Oscar is equally fast, and arguably been better than Lando over the last 4-5 races.

Oscar should have taken priority as the lead driver on track, thus Lando has to pit 2nd (meaning Lando gets undercut by Lewis, maybe Max too), and Lando then has to overtake Hamilton (and Verstappen) on track. By the time Lando got passed (if he did pass both on track in that stint), Oscar is ~15 seconds up the road, and hasn't burned his tires battling in traffic.

Lando would be so far behind they could safely double-stack the second stop anywhere from lap 40-44 as Hamilton was too far back to risk undercut (29s down to 25s in 4 laps), and Lando would likely have stilll finished a comfortable 2nd.

Don't confuse Lando's pace in the last 20-odd laps - Lando was ignoring team instructions and his engineer's instructions, Oscar followed the team delta and maintained safe gap to Lewis in 3rd.

Wouldn't you rather Lando make up the time and pass Oscar, instead of team orders giving him the lead?
As well! Team orders to gain a 1 2 gave Lando advantage, agreed.

But we'll never know for sure IF you're hypothetical would've meant Lando wouldn't catch Oscar, because it's a hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the win wasn't meritorious because Oscar was given the lead, from team orders.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back