F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You are on your own for this one. You know Max is in the wrong when even Rosberg is defending Lewis.
I’m certainly not “on my own”.
My other comrades are the ones who matter. The stewards.
In fact, it appears there are quite a few on here who were on the wrong side of the law.
Much, much Max hate. And so much short memory on Lewis.

As well! Team orders to gain a 1 2 gave Lando advantage, agreed.

But we'll never know for sure IF you're hypothetical would've meant Lando wouldn't catch Oscar, because it's a hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the win wasn't meritorious because Oscar was given the lead, from team orders.
Yet it was Lando who was given the lead on team orders to pit first, twice. You’ll never get it.

But we'll never know for sure IF you're hypothetical would've meant Lando wouldn't catch Oscar, because it's a hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the win wasn't meritorious because Oscar was given the lead, from team orders.
The record books will forever show the winner of the Hungary F1 Grand Prix in 2024 is Oscar Piastri.
And anything else will be simply background noise.
End of argument.

I’m certainly not “on my own”.
My other comrades are the ones who matter. The stewards.
In fact, it appears there are quite a few on here who were on the wrong side of the law.
Much, much Max hate. And so much short memory on Lewis.

Nobody is hating on Max and there are no short memories on Lewis. But, we can acknowledge that Max is fully at fault. He divebombed when it wasn't on and was going straight off the track whether there was contact or not. Lewis turned because it was a corner. You turn the car when you get to a corner. What was Lewis supposed to do? Come to a complete stop or drive straight off the track to avoid a dumb as **** move from Max? He can't just magically disappear off the racing line.

Except we just watched it happen?

In the first 40 laps, when both drivers were following the same instructions, Oscar was significantly (by F1 standards) quicker.

In the last 20 laps, when Oscar was protecting a lead to 3rd and managing tyres as per instruction, Lando went off script and ignored team instructions, Lando was quicker.

Which do you think is more meritorious?

You are just arguing semantics though. I think we all would have preferred McLaren to stick to sensible strategy and not undercut their lead car twice for flimsy reasons because it is more than likely Oscar would have won from the position he was in. If Lando had managed to somehow catch him in the last stint on merit as you say, so be it.

The facts at the time of the 2nd undercut however were Oscar was comfortably leading, and had been since the very first turn of the race - with Lando not having made a dent in his lead bar a few laps after Oscar made a mistake, and even then was still over a second behind. Can we say for sure that Oscar wouldn't have made any more mistakes and lost time if he had been pitted first? No. But there is also no way we can say Lando would've caught Oscar with an 8 or so second advantage within 30 laps.

At the end of the day Oscar won his first race and McLaren get a 1-2 and valuable points in the WCC. End of story.

Except we just watched it happen?

In the first 40 laps, when both drivers were following the same instructions, Oscar was significantly (by F1 standards) quicker.

In the last 20 laps, when Oscar was protecting a lead to 3rd and managing tyres as per instruction, Lando went off script and ignored team instructions, Lando was quicker.

Which do you think is more meritorious?
Team orders not giving the lead to Oscar, or if the roles were reversed not give the lead to Lando.

But not confirmed, we can't possibly know, we can only speculate.
Its Hungary my man you can defend on track with a car a second a lap slower let alone equal cars, how do you think ocon fluked a win here?

Max's failed attempts to pass lewis on much fresher boots tell you exactly all you need to know, track position secured the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its Hungary my man you can defend on track with a car a second a lap slower let alone equal cars, how do you think ocon fluked a win here?

Max's failed attempts to pass lewis on much fresher boots tell you exactly all you need to know, track position secured the deal.
Likely yes but not assured.

Well what a cluster**** that was.

McLaren need to have a very good think about whether they think Lando can genuinely compete with Max for the Drivers Championship. It'll be unpopular around here but if I was McLaren, I'd have been telling Oscar, sorry, we need those points for Lando.

They've got the car to challenge now, those extra points could be vital in the end. Especially with Max falling apart.

If they decide Lando is too far back, let them genuinely race each other. Which order they finish 1/2 makes zero difference for them in the Constructors Championship.
McLaren have conceded the latter, but the issue was that if you let then race each other, then generally car in front gets pitted first. Norris got undercut twice. So in that context, the team would be saying battle each other, but tying Oscar's hand behind his back (severely limiting his ability to match an even battle).

Max Verstaapen is not only my most despised F1 driver of all time, but sports people across the board -- but for some reason (and one i cant explain) i quite liked him this weekend.

Either or, no one can call this a meritorious win. The win was given with team orders, not Oscar making up the time and passing Lando.

I'd rather see Oscar making up the time and passing Lando for the win, instead of team orders bs giving it to him.

Win on MERIT! NOT on team orders.
If McLaren pitted him on merit, he'd have won on merit. But the team ****ed up and so team orders were required.
The win was earnt on merit nonetheless, because if Norris hadn't bottled the start - becoming a trend for him - then he'd have led after the first lap, he'd then have been pitted first as the lead car and he'd have driven off into the sunset.
Alas, Piastri got through turn 1 first and led even after the first round of pit stops, despite Norris undercutting him by 3 or so seconds. It wasn't until the second stop and second undercut that Norris grabbed the lead from Piastri.

Wouldn't you rather Oscar make up the time and pass Lando instead of team orders giving him the lead? You know an undeniable meritorious win?
You keep saying meritorious. It doesn't make you sound smart. The opposite actually.

You couldn't define undercut in relation to racing. You don't know what you're talking about.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back