F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you suggesting that everyone should ignore you?

I think people should read further on when someone posts something ridiculous to see whether or not 50 other people have already replied.

Wouldn't you rather Oscar make up the time and pass Lando instead of team orders giving him the lead? You know an undeniable meritorious win?
You keep saying meritorious. It doesn't make you sound smart. The opposite actually.

You couldn't define undercut in relation to racing. You don't know what you're talking about.
Enough

Well to me it's hollow and not meritorious.

Make of that what you will.
They're trying to get you to understand reason, but you wilfully ignore it and keep crapping on, wrongly, about merit.

Max was 100% at fault. The stewards are on crack to blame Hamilton. Reckon they brought it someone from the MRP to help them on this one.

Max had the nickname Crashtappen for a reason. Fast driver, poor racer. Same with Vettel. Will never consider either to be on the same level as Schumacher or Alonso (or even Hamilton).

So Oscar overtakes Lando in the race.

Lando never overtakes Oscar in the race but is only in front due to the team screwing Oscar over.

Lando deserved to win.

Oscar didnt.

'Some' people jump over some serious mental hurdles sometimes.

FTFY. Team orders were for Lando to give the place back (which he whinged about and refused to do for 20 laps in the hope the team would renege on Oscar).
You wonder if Lando gave that place back with 20 laps to go, rather than pouting, he may have actually been able to 'race' Oscar to try to win. Maybe he ended up screwing himself.

If McLaren pitted him on merit, he'd have won on merit. But the team ****ed up and so team orders were required.
The win was earnt on merit nonetheless, because if Norris hadn't bottled the start - becoming a trend for him - then he'd have led after the first lap, he'd then have been pitted first as the lead car and he'd have driven off into the sunset.
Alas, Piastri got through turn 1 first and led even after the first round of pit stops, despite Norris undercutting him by 3 or so seconds. It wasn't until the second stop and second undercut that Norris grabbed the lead from Piastri.
That's all you needed to say.

It would've been more meritorious IF team orders weren't involved, don't think anyone can argue that.

Amazing, all the defenders in here can't see that a team order win isn't as good as just winning it by catching and overtaking.

Probably patriotic bias, I'm gonna fairly assume that those same posters, if the roles were reversed and Lando was given the lead through team orders, would be saying 'but Oscar had to give up the lead'.

INB4, yeah nah we wouldn't.

Well to me it's hollow and not meritorious.

Make of that what you will.

That's all you needed to say.

It would've been more meritorious IF team orders weren't involved, don't think anyone can argue that.
Give it another day or 2 and you might comes around. Has gone from Not to More meritorious in a day.

I think everyone would be fine the other way around. Lead driver didn't get to pit first every pit stop to their disadvantage to help the other driver. You crap on about team orders but if they'd followed the usual team process and Oscar pits first it's a non argument because he's up the road while Lando is likely battling Max and Lewis.

I don't think anyone would be arguing for Oscar in the reverse as they would have the intelligence to know the only reason he was in the position was from favourable team strategy with pits.

As mentioned, Lando would have been better served giving it up and then legit passing or sticking on his ass and a swap is more justifiable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wonder if Lando gave that place back with 20 laps to go, rather than pouting, he may have actually been able to 'race' Oscar to try to win. Maybe he ended up screwing himself.

Possibly - doubtful though given the events of the first half of the race - Norris knew he couldn't match Oscar on the day, so his best hope of the win was to try to bend McLaren to his will.

He's had his issues before with maturity on track, but generally comes across in socials as a decent bloke. Perhaps Lando just struggles under the pressure of the moment, and will apologise to the team and Oscar before next weekend.

I think everyone would be fine the other way around. Lead driver didn't get to pit first every pit stop to their disadvantage to help the other driver. You crap on about team orders but if they'd followed the usual team process and Oscar pits first it's a non argument because he's up the road while Lando is likely battling Max and Lewis.

I don't think anyone would be arguing for Oscar in the reverse as they would have the intelligence to know the only reason he was in the position was from favourable team strategy with pits.

As mentioned, Lando would have been better served giving it up and then legit passing or sticking on his ass and a swap is more justifiable.
The funny argument everyone has (on the tin foil World of You Tube) is Lando had far better pace late in the race.
LOL,well of course he did because he was told to slow down and didn't.
Piastri was told to slow down and obeyed his instructions.

Aussie drivers always get the British Boy's Club decisions against them.

McLaren tried to pull a shoofty but thought better later on.

Danny Ricc got shafted also by pitting when he shouldn't have.

Is the F1 World (largely run by the British) petrified of an Aussie winning the WC?

Max Verstaapen is not only my most despised F1 driver of all time, but sports people across the board -- but for some reason (and one i cant explain) i quite liked him this weekend.
Love him or hate him - Max speaks his mind.

I do enjoy that about him.

Hungary was a little bit much from max though. He needs to reign it in a bit. When he starts disregarding team orders to conserve tyres etc. at certain points he probably makes things worse for himself. Once he's frustrated he just shuts them out. Probably not best moving forward if they're not going to be a dominant force for the rest of the year (it wont matter for the championship, but might have implications for next year).

The funny argument everyone has (on the tin foil World of You Tube) is Lando had far better pace late in the race.

Agree.

The longer I've had to think about it, the less I really actually blame anyone?

- McLarens called to box Norris first is a good call. Preserved the 1-2 and thats exactly what happened. Correct decision. Only failing in that is it's treating their drivers like emotionless robots who will do as directed. Its never that simple and teammates are often their biggest rivals.

- Norris didn't want to give up a spot. Piastri even ran wide at one point either just before or just after. And his stop was slow. Norris at first didnt want to give up 5seconds for Piastri to swap. This was absolutely correct. You cant faf about with that sort of thing with 15+ laps to go (whatever it was). Meanwhile Hamiltons pace at the time was ok and somewhat catching Piastri.
He's also only won once. And his time is now. Its a big ask to relinquish something he wasn't the one to take away.

- By the end Norris extended his gap. Probably hoping for some sort of external event to prevent the swap. Safety car. Piastri runs wide, has a breakdown etc. Can't really blame him for dragging this out and leaving it to closer to the end. It may have ultimately been a non-issue for many reasons.

- Piastri. Followed team orders. Kept his pace consistent. Wasnt pressing to close a gap. Not sure what happened here. The team did ask him to close the gap but it never happened. He probably didnt push too hard knowing team orders were confirmed to happen.

If you put AI in charge of this scenario it probably plays out the exact same way every time.
No matter how many times you replay this scenario it probably goes down the exact same way, for every team on the grid.

Aussie drivers always get the British Boy's Club decisions against them.

McLaren tried to pull a shoofty but thought better later on.

Danny Ricc got shafted also by pitting when he shouldn't have.

Is the F1 World (largely run by the British) petrified of an Aussie winning the WC?

This argument is extra dumb because if you bring pace intio it Oscars faster pace in first stint is the only reason the gap existed to allow them to save Norris from being undercut and keep track position for both.

Probably patriotic bias, I'm gonna fairly assume that those same posters, if the roles were reversed and Lando was given the lead through team orders, would be saying 'but Oscar had to give up the lead'.
First explain in what universe would McLaren let Piastri undercut Norris if Norris was leading a GP?

McLarens called to box Norris first is a good call. Preserved the 1-2 and thats exactly what happened.

I fully disagree with that. Yes, Lewis had the undercut but he was 8 seconds or something behind Lando when he boxed. We had also seen all race that the Merc didn't have the pace to match the McLaren- especially after the first 5-10 laps on the new tyre. They could have easily boxed Oscar first then Lando the following lap and still have Lando finish 5 seconds or more ahead of Lewis.

Covering Lewis to keep the 1-2 is a massive copout. It didn't make sense during the race and it makes no sense now.

I fully disagree with that. Yes, Lewis had the undercut but he was 8 seconds or something behind Lando when he boxed. We had also seen all race that the Merc didn't have the pace to match the McLaren- especially after the first 5-10 laps on the new tyre. They could have easily boxed Oscar first then Lando the following lap and still have Lando finish 5 seconds or more ahead of Lewis.

Covering Lewis to keep the 1-2 is a massive copout. It didn't make sense during the race and it makes no sense now.
It's just ultra conservative. It's not that it makes no sense. The logic is there, it just didn't need to occur.

Bwahaha, 'blatant favouritism', Lando was 6 seconds up the road mate, 'team orders' put him back to 2nd.

Lando was the faster driver, whichever way you wanna boil it down and dissect it. Oscar won on bullshit 'team orders' instead of merit. Fact!.

I wanna see Oscar win on merit, not his 1st win blemished with 'team order' bullshit. Oscar is probably good enough to win the cup, but I don't wanna see this team order bs gifting drivers wins coz 'they were faster at the start of the race'
Plz watch the sequence of events on why Oscar won on merit.
Particularly the first corner.
It's pretty simple too understand after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back