F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I get it, Oscar won, but I wanna see him win purely on merit.

This ain't a meritorious win, whichever you wanna boil it down and dissect it.

Fact! Lando was clearly faster at the end of the race, 6 seconds up the road, Fact!
Oscar was quicker into the 1st corner where it mattered.
That's where he won it.
Was the agreement over Sunday breakfast. Fact!

Either or, doesn't take away the fact the Oscar was aided by team orders.

Would Oscar have won without team orders? We won't ever know, but highly unlikely, and I would've rather Oscar won without the benefit of team orders.
LoL.
Without team orders.Oscar would've pitted 1st and opened up a lead of near 8secs.
So in Fact lando benefited from team orders in the first place.
But that's OK by you.

Will be some interesting conversations at McLaren. The impression I get is Lando thinks he's in a Max Verstappen at red bull situation (or at least thinks if max can do it, so can I). Red bull have been very clear on having a number 1, number 2 driver.

Very obvious from the messaging that McLaren have made it clear in meetings they have no such agreement and will manage trust between drivers.

There are 11 races left in the year, with 2 drivers that have consistently been finishing around each other, they know not switching back could cause a lot more problems then just a 7 point driver swing, especially for Lando who will more often than not be on the better side of these decisions.

If anyone can be bothered rewatching, or just watch the Kayo mini. On lap 14 Mclaren tell Lando he's racing for second.
Yep noticed that at the time. Which is why the boxed him first on the first stint, as the Hamilton undercut was a genuine threat that time round.

Speaking of Sky F1 and Croft- how many times did that idiot go on about Max not having a good night's sleep because of his sim racing and it affecting his racing and temperament? Reckon he made the same point about 20 times during the race.

Not just boringly repetitive but simpleton nonsense from someone whose never performed in any sport at an elite level level let alone F1 (unless you count darts commentating as a sport). Making comparison to how he feels on a Sunday morning having rolled his 120kegs body out from under the doona after he's spent a night on the brews wasn't funny the first time let alone after the 20th time.
Seems like I wasn't the only one...

Sky F1 commentator David Croft faced backlash for repeatedly linking Max Verstappen's early morning sim racing to his fiery team radio approach in Hungary.

Last edited:
Seems like I wasn't the only one...

Sky F1 commentator David Croft faced backlash for repeatedly linking Max Verstappen's early morning sim racing to his fiery team radio approach in Hungary.

It was pretty amusing during the race.

Does he have a point? Maybe.

Did he have to repeat it 10 times? Probably not.

I'd say it was 50-50. You're right that McLaren shouldn't have created the situation in the first place, but Norris also needed to give the position back much quicker than he did. Norris really was behaving like a petulant child, not someone supporting a team member who has had his back on countless occasions already.

I agree with this but hamilton was no chance at all of getting 2nd place so what in the heck were mclaren doing?

I agree with this but hamilton was no chance at all of getting 2nd place so what in the heck were mclaren doing?
Hamilton was putting in a series of fastest laps. He was burning his tyres in the process, and his challenge would eventually falter well before he reached the two McLarens - but the challenge was significant enough that pitting Lando to cover him wasn't entirely unreasonable. It was probably an over-reach, but not the massive one that many would like to make out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Mr Twitter hero. You are missing something.
There was an opening that Max went for. As most F1 drivers would.
I’ve seen many a similar incident this year where the car on the inside has locked up. Most have not ended in contact because the driver on the inside turns his wheel the opposite direction, knowing full well the car on the inside is never going to make the corner.
Hamilton, sorry, GOAT, decided he didn’t need to do that.
Maybe’s it’s his age and slower responses.

This is embarrassing.
GP even essentially told Max he was out of line with the move.

As well! Team orders to gain a 1 2 gave Lando advantage, agreed.

But we'll never know for sure IF you're hypothetical would've meant Lando wouldn't catch Oscar, because it's a hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the win wasn't meritorious because Oscar was given the lead, from team orders.

Sunday was your first F1 race wasn't it?

OK... this may have been a forced statement, but Norris has claimed that Piastri was the rightful winner:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/motor...n/news-story/bc6efc6ab5eb35f0b9980756935d864d

Allegedly he was always planning on letting Piastri through, but was going to wait until the final lap - until it was pointed out that a late SC would screw the plan up completely.

Norris also blamed the team for the whole situation, noting (quite fairly) that it should never have arisen, if they had pitted Piastri first - as normal race tactics dictated
“I was going to wait until the last lap, the last corner but then they said if there was a Safety Car all of a sudden then I couldn’t let Oscar go through, it would have made me look like a bit of an idiot. Then I was like, ‘yeah, it’s a fair point’. And straight away I let him go.”

Norris insisted that the back-and-forth with race engineer Will Joseph wouldn’t have been necessary if McLaren had pitted Piastri first. Norris admitted he didn’t deserve the win.
I'm not sure I believe him. This is probably a statement the team has forced him to make, through gritted teeth... but he has made it.

I dont blame Lando for being a little annoyed and doing it begrudgingly.

Any driver that would just give up the position as soon as the team ask first up, in my view doesn't have that killer instinct that a Vettel, Schumacher or Verstappen have. In the end it was the right thing to do, but it was not unexpected for Lando to at least question it when a race win was on the cards.

Hamilton was putting in a series of fastest laps. He was burning his tyres in the process, and his challenge would eventually falter well before he reached the two McLarens - but the challenge was significant enough that pitting Lando to cover him wasn't entirely unreasonable. It was probably an over-reach, but not the massive one that many would like to make out.

Yes but the longer runs over the weekend showed the maclaren couldnt hold its pace over time. and hamilton admitted in his own pre race interviee on sunday that they didnt have the pace to go with maclaren. Combine that with him being 5 sec behind and there was no way he was ever taking 2nd. It was a big overreach and there was no need for them to do it.

lol - imagine RB asking Verstappen to swap places with Checo.
They have at Brazil in 2022. Max refused to do it, believed to be because of Monaco earlier that year. This was after Max was already crowned WDC for the year and Perez needed all the points he could get to secure 2nd in the WDC.

In the end it didnt really matter as far as the points lost as even if Perez finished 6th in Brazil he still would have come 3rd in the WDC by 1 point, but definitely not a good look for Max.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back