Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies front runners for Bailey Smith according to Sam Landsberger

Another one bites the dust
Landsberger FMD 😅, blokes track record is horrendous. That suggests to me straight away he's not even talking to the right people. Hasn't once mentioned Hawthorn as a potential destination for what it's worth. Should tell you all you need to know. He's decent at certain areas of reporting not this stuff.

I think I’ve posted this previously, but we have someone here with a good link to the Cats.

Cats apparently knew during last trade week that they were not Smith’s preferred home, that he was a fair way down the path with Hawks.

That doesn’t stop you giving him a better offer though and changing his mind, so we wait and see what eventuates.
As it stands thats exactly what it will take. A huge too good to refuse offer. Whether the Cats are willing to do it is another thing.

I think I’ve posted this previously, but we have someone here with a good link to the Cats.

Cats apparently knew during last trade week that they were not Smith’s preferred home, that he was a fair way down the path with Hawks.

That doesn’t stop you giving him a better offer though and changing his mind, so we wait and see what eventuates.
Would explain the supposed shift to Perkins in the last few months too.

I can't see a situation where we land both, it would be one or the other, and Archie is the name that keeps coming up for us.

Smoke and fire and all that. Would be cute from a league POV too, Hawks nuffie in Baz going home, while a Cats nuffie in Perkins does the same.

I come in peace Hawkers.

We've got the same intel as you guys, it's Hawks or Cats. Pies aren't even on the radar.

It's a headline grabber, but if you read the article there's SFA substance to it.

Basically it's 'stop taking photos with an opposition player' and Landsberger's jumped to "Yep, he's going to Collingwood".

Still reckon it's Hawthorn all things being equal. The links are there, and we seem to be preoccupied with Perkins anyway.

Anyway, hope that helps if it can. Best of luck for the rest of the year!
He's good mates with CJ too. There's no correlation at all with who he wants to play for. More to it than that. Shows how much Landsberger knows about the situation not alot.

I mentioned Finn Callaghan on here a couple days ago half joking but he's someone I'd be comfortable offering big $$$ and draft capital to get across. Gun.

We were well into him as well in his draft year too.

He would be a dream signing.

GWS will offer him the bag though. Green and Callaghan are the future of that midfield, and with Jelly, Coniglio, Whitfield and Ward all pushing on they simply have to retain him.

That hit that knocked out Sam Taylor on the weekend was honestly sickening.

I’m somewhat anxious to see how he recovers from it. Once you have a concussion like that you’re predisposed to suffering another concussion in the future and it really can be like dominoes unfortunately.

As bad as this sounds, I’m wondering whether our medical team is getting in the ear of list management to hold off on any big offer to wait and see how he recovers and whether he suffers any more concussions and/or related issues, given what has happened recently with Brayshaw and Nathan Murphy.

I’m somewhat anxious to see how he recovers from it. Once you have a concussion like that you’re predisposed to suffering another concussion in the future and it really can be like dominoes unfortunately.

As bad as this sounds, I’m wondering whether our medical team is getting in the ear of list management to hold off on any big offer to wait and see how he recovers and whether he suffers any more concussions and/or related issues, given what has happened recently with Brayshaw and Nathan Murphy.
Precedent is now set that if a player is medically retired due to concussion then the payout won't count against the salary cap.

Pretty sure if a player is medically retired due to concussion that the remaining contract $$$ doesn't stay under a teams salary cap so I don't think it would change the chase for Taylor. The two you mentioned in Brayshaw + Murphy will be paid out in full with both clubs salary cap opened up or at least that's what I think has been mentioned.

Precedent is now set that if a player is medically retired due to concussion then the payout won't count against the salary cap.
Pretty sure if a player is medically retired due to concussion that the remaining contract $$$ doesn't stay under a teams salary cap so I don't think it would change the chase for Taylor. The two you mentioned in Brayshaw + Murphy will be paid out in full with both clubs salary cap opened up or at least that's what I think has been mentioned.

I was more thinking along the lines of offering a deal to a player that could potentially suffer from concussion issues in the future and not play much.

(I understand it’s a big if, but feel it’s warranted given what we’ve seen happen with concussion recently)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was more thinking along the lines of offering a deal to a player that could potentially suffer from concussion issues in the future and not play much.

(I understand it’s a big if, but feel it’s warranted given what we’ve seen happen with concussion recently)
It was most definitely and ugly concussion so we shall see. Wether we get him or not you just hope that he fully recovers.

We made the big offer.

Yeah it won’t ruin our salary cap but we won’t be getting our multiple first round picks back either
The free salary cap space would be substantial enough for at least 2 free agents if that eventuated.

Anyway it’s very premature to be discussing how our list management would deal with the early retirement of a player who might never be on our list.

As it stands thats exactly what it will take. A huge too good to refuse offer. Whether the Cats are willing to do it is another thing.

I'm pretty sure last I heard the Cats offered better financial terms to Smith. Not blowing us out of the water by any means but it was better.

We made the big offer.

Is it for this year or next?

Last I heard GWS have also made a “huge and long term offer”

Unsurprising given the cap will be $17.7 million come next year. Plus Kelly, Coniglio and Whitfield will be ending their respective deals.

It might come down to whether we front end our offer vs GWS back ending their’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back