Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

All the same, if we look at it pragmatically he is behind a few in the pecking order and may be pushed back again next year. I think that's a valid concern.

Again, I want him to make it, but I remain concerned about his ability to break into our midfield.

Who knows where Ward will be in the pecking order in even a few weeks? If he plays like he did last week then he'd be demanding a call-up (especially if senior players like CJ continue to struggle). Mitchell will surely honour his word when he said he'd be picking players based on performance.

My only concern with Ward (and Hustwaite) is the hypothetic will another club come hard for him? It could play out like JPK3, where they are too talented for VFL but are unable to force their way past a group of quality senior players.

I imagine Mitchell and co. have done enough to sell their vision for the future though.

Who knows where Ward will be in the pecking order in even a few weeks? If he plays like he did last week then he'd be demanding a call-up (especially if senior players like CJ continue to struggle). Mitchell will surely honour his word when he said he'd be picking players based on performance.

My only concern with Ward (and Hustwaite) is the hypothetic will another club come hard for him? It could play out like JPK3, where they are too talented for VFL but are unable to force their way past a group of quality senior players.

I imagine Mitchell and co. have done enough to sell their vision for the future though.
Yep, definitely agree with this. Hopefully we’ve learnt our lesson.

Bruh we drop ward for 6 games so he can get some development in the vfl and apparently we should now trade him? The guy is 20 years old not 30.

Every year this thread would be better named the ‘Hysterical trade and FA thread’.

Ward had 33 touches against essendon’s vfl team last week. 7 inside 50s, 17 kicks, 16 handballs, 9 marks. He was our best on ground 2 weeks ago when hawks vfl team got smashed by brisbane. The second someone like nash, newcombe, day gets injured he comes back in as an inside mid.

Last edited:
r
Ward had 33 touches against essendon’s vfl team last week. 7 inside 50s, 17 kicks, 16 handballs, 9 marks. He was our best on ground 2 weeks ago when hawks vfl team got smashed by brisbane. The second someone like nash, newcombe, day gets injured he comes back in as an inside mid.
One day he will be putting up those numbers in the seniors.

Need to think twice about Perryman there was even a song written about him and it sounded like this “Don't pay the Perryman, Don't even fix a price, Don't pay the Perryman ….. Until he gets you to the other side"!
I think your song...needs more Cowbell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone posted the updates on Herald Sun about the free agents that was posted this morning?

Few interesting and some laughable points:

Blake Hardwick (Hawthorn) – The swingman should stay on a long-term deal but nothing has been agreed to as yet.

Harry Perryman (GWS) – Has become a belle of the free agency ball this year with South Australian sides keen on the defender-midfielder. Could the offers stretch beyond $4 million? No serious traction yet on him sticking around.

Josh Battle (St Kilda) – There is a lot of salary cap space to fill at Hawthorn and North Melbourne and a desperate need for tall defenders. Could Collingwood come knocking as a Nathan Murphy replacement? As an unrestricted free agent defender at the age of 25, Battle is right in the sweet spot for a big offer.

Conor Nash (Hawthorn) – The big-bodied midfielder says he wants to stay with the Hawks but would be silly not to look at offers.

Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs) – The Dogs conceded recently they would like to have some indication of Smith’s plans early this year. All signs point to him leaving.

For those interested, Hawthorn not mentioned with Perryman at all in article and there is absolutely no reason given as to why Conor Nash would "be silly not to look at offers" so just going to assume its because its the Herald Sun or as most of us know it Essendon Propaganda

Its such a nothing comment. If course he would be silly not to look at other offers, but that's the case for every player they mentioned

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

North happened. They have an ability to improve any players they have.

They get a bit fitter and stronger once they are in the system. After that though they pretty much remain the same.

Has limited Phillips more than other north players as he didn’t come in with as many tricks as others. Other teams would have helped him develop some north haven’t.

Would be worth a punt for very little. I’m not sure how he’d get game time with us though given how many players he would be behind.
Maybe he just isn't that good. The 2020 draft was a lottery

Maybe he just isn't that good. The 2020 draft was a lottery

He might not be good but being at North has made it a lot harder for him than being at any other club.

If none of our trade targets want to come to our great club, then we don’t want or need any of them.

Only want players who want to be here and bleed for our Guernsey like Ginni and Scrimmer for example.

We have our eyes on the prize and finals await us in 2025 as a new chapter commences.

Our 3peat team had about 10 players rolling through the midfield. Sammy, Hodgey, Burgoyne, Lewis, Rough, Poppy, Punk, Cyril, Sewell (pre retirement), Shiels. The list goes on. We shouldn’t be limiting our rotations via 4 or 5 players. This will change as we improve as a team (a very young team with so much growth to come) and the youngsters get more games under their belt.

Ward has shown he can play wing and through the middle. Huss has shown he can play a bit forward, I reckon we’ll see the likes of Newk spend time up forward for stints and Day can go back or even pinch hit up forward, I’ll add Mackenzie who has shown he can distribute at half back. I think there’s a bit of versatility there which we’ll see in due course.

Not sure why many here are purely focusing on Nash, Newk, Day etc playing purely as mids. Good midfields have depth and also changes the mix up which can bother other teams by making it hard to adjust constantly playing against different rotations.

Ward and Huss aren’t going anywhere. We need to keep this young group together as the players mentioned are both young and clearly talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back