List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one I can see is Kolodjashnij who plays a bit taller than Kemp. Has been their most consistent defender this year but they might look to phase him out. 29yo and very durable.

Would prefer to look away from Geelong if we were after this type of senior player.

Plenty of sides you could pick apart player wise

I'd have a crack at Ben Miller and you could move on 2 of Durdin, Young, Marchbank

I think SDK would cost too much in picks and $$. Geelong would want the world for him and rightly so.

If we’re chasing a KPD I like any of the Adelaide boys as a cheaper partner to Weiters. I don’t think Keane, Butts and Murray can fit into the same side now that Michallaney has made the 3rd tall role his. They recently drafted Curtin who will be a gun CHB if the midfield stuff doesn’t work and they also have Worrell on the list.

Butts and Murray are Victorian, Keane has been rumoured with a move back to Vic. All three are very sound defensively imo. Keane would be the dream for me, love the way he attacks the ball and he would be a great mentor for Duffy and Monahan.

A lot depends on Hayward and whether we trust Kemp at 193cm. We will find out a lot in the back half of the season.
Would be all for one of them, only issue is convincing them to join us when they might not even be guaranteed best 23.

But we are a big Vic club and a premiership contender...that might be enough if they back themselves to get into our 23 or be first backup for any injury/suspension.

I like the idea of our key defenders being able to contribute offensively too, which Gov and Kemp do so bonus points if they can run and kick - unlike Young.

If none of Marchy, Young or S Durdin are the answer we might be looking at recruiting a mature, ready made player for the now AND look to draft one.

Plenty of sides you could pick apart player wise

I'd have a crack at Ben Miller and you could move on 2 of Durdin, Young, Marchbank

+1 for Ben Miller

Looking for players who are great defensively and will fit well into a system. He is probably at a similar level to Young but Young just doesn’t seem to work in cohesion with the others.

Our best 23 is right up there but there's a few pressing needs:

Small/third forward - Williams has helped the last 2 weeks but we still need improvement in this area with the current struggles of Martin, Durdin and Motlop. Fantasia isn't that good.

Can see why we are going for Hayward. We need a ready made player and ideally a gun and a forward good both in the air and ground level.

KPD - Young, Marchy and S Durdin not looking up to it at the moment.

Think we move 1 or 2 on and recruit a mature player that can at least be a handy backup and look to draft 1.

Midfielder - With no injuries we are stacked, but reality is Cunners, Doc and now even Cerra keep having injury issues. Bullish on Carroll but jury is still out on whether he will make it, especially as we push for a premiership. Walsh and Cripps have been carrying us with consistently high level performances.

The answer might just be playing guys like Cincotta in the middle more and the growth of E Hollands and Carroll. If we get the injured guys back our midfield is top tier. Think we need to draft a pure mid.

Small defender - Required if we want to keep Williams forward and have the ability to play Cincotta in the middle...with Doc out too we suddenly have basically no small defenders left to bring in. Newman is getting on in age too.

Tends to be 1 of the easier positions for young players and to come in and have an impact, either just focusing on shutting out a forward or picking up relatively easy possessions at half back. Can go to the draft.

Do we need Heyward with Williams small fwd heroics?
Are they different?
Should we spend the money else where?
They play different roles but the need is reduced now that he's showing some great signs down there.
Hayward would be a Martin replacement, which as a medium type that can take a grab and contribute at ground level is still handy - it comes down to the price for me.
Personally I see our needs as being:
mid-forward (has to be one touch)
KPD
Medium forward

I don't mind looking at Hayward without overpaying, especially with JSOS coming back next year.

One player could be worth asking the question is Charlie Spargo. Seems to be out of favour right now, and a pre-agent the end of the year. Could potentially be gettable without costing a lot.

Do we need Heyward with Williams small fwd heroics?
Are they different?
Should we spend the money else where?
Williams has played 2 good games as a small forward and the rest of ours are bordering on terrible/alright. Hayward would be a massive benefit for our list, Stengle even better imo but not sure he moves.

They play different roles but the need is reduced now that he's showing some great signs down there.
Hayward would be a Martin replacement, which as a medium type that can take a grab and contribute at ground level is still handy - it comes down to the price for me.
Personally I see our needs as being:
mid-forward (has to be one touch)
KPD
Medium forward
Heyward may deliver value but I think between Hollands, Martin and Williams we may be covered enough in the mid/small fwd stakes to prioritise a mid with burst from stoppage....and then there is Charlie Cameron

Williams has played 2 good games as a small forward and the rest of ours are bordering on terrible/alright. Hayward would be a massive benefit for our list, Stengle even better imo but not sure he moves.
Although it's only a sample of 2 games so far, Williams has shown he is opportunistic and dynamic. At least for the time being, Zac is our number 1 small forward. Over to you Jesse...

Our best 23 is right up there but there's a few pressing needs:

Small/third forward - Williams has helped the last 2 weeks but we still need improvement in this area with the current struggles of Martin, Durdin and Motlop. Fantasia isn't that good.

Can see why we are going for Hayward. We need a ready made player and ideally a gun and a forward good both in the air and ground level.

KPD - Young, Marchy and S Durdin not looking up to it at the moment.

Think we move 1 or 2 on and recruit a mature player that can at least be a handy backup and look to draft 1.

Midfielder - With no injuries we are stacked, but reality is Cunners, Doc and now even Cerra keep having injury issues. Bullish on Carroll but jury is still out on whether he will make it, especially as we push for a premiership. Walsh and Cripps have been carrying us with consistently high level performances.

The answer might just be playing guys like Cincotta in the middle more and the growth of E Hollands and Carroll. If we get the injured guys back our midfield is top tier. Think we need to draft a pure mid.

Small defender - Required if we want to keep Williams forward and have the ability to play Cincotta in the middle...with Doc out too we suddenly have basically no small defenders left to bring in. Newman is getting on in age too.

Tends to be 1 of the easier positions for young players and to come in and have an impact, either just focusing on shutting out a forward or picking up relatively easy possessions at half back. Can go to the draft.

Agree our best 23 is amongst the best in the AFL - however our depth is an issue as our ladder position in the VFL attests.

Our screaming need immediate needs are:

• KPD
  • breakaway pace through midfield
  • another Key Forward
  • another developing ruckman
  • another small forward

A mix of going to the draft and trading.

Heyward may deliver value but I think between Hollands, Martin and Williams we may be covered enough in the mid/small fwd stakes to prioritise a mid with burst from stoppage....and then there is Charlie Cameron
It seems the choice is between Martin and Hayward with the latter representing a younger, more resilient option.
Williams & Martin don't really play through the midfield but we're lacking in terms of both clean ball use and footspeed, we're also quite light on in terms of developing prospects at the lower level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although it's only a sample of 2 games so far, Williams has shown he is opportunistic and dynamic. At least for the time being, Zac is our number 1 small forward. Over to you Jesse...
Jesse has been bloody awful the last 2 weeks in the VFL, wouldn't be banking on him becoming the dynamic option we are crying out for. Especially when theres ready made talents available this off season.

Get a mature player in and if Motlop's form earns him a spot then great, if not we have a player there to fill the void.

Cincotta has just illustrated one of Austin's biggest needs.

So there is work to do. Camporeale twins, an explosive midfielder (for defensive duties given we have Walsh/Cerra/Cripps to attack) and 1-2 KPDers while offloading 1 existing defender.

Don't know how is going to do all that but in austin we trust. We trust him unlike Hughes because he has shown astute judgement so far.

Jesse has been bloody awful the last 2 weeks in the VFL, wouldn't be banking on him becoming the dynamic option we are crying out for. Especially when theres ready made talents available this off season.

Get a mature player in and if Motlop's form earns him a spot then great, if not we have a player there to fill the void.
Jesse has never been the sort of player to dominate, or even play well, often in the VFL. Im remember his game before he was a late in against Port where he kicked 4 last year was a seriously poor one. Like 6 disposals and 1 goal, or something like that. He seems to benefit from opportunities that only come up at senior level. I have no doubt he could come into the AFL team and have an impact

Cincotta has just illustrated one of Austin's biggest needs.

So there is work to do. Camporeale twins, an explosive midfielder (for defensive duties given we have Walsh/Cerra/Cripps to attack) and 1-2 KPDers while offloading 1 existing defender.

Don't know how is going to do all that but in austin we trust. We trust him unlike Hughes because he has shown astute judgement so far.
Imo the explosive midfielder is something we're just going to have to learn to live without. Backup KPD and a solid Small Fwd will push our cap to the brink, I don't think we'd have the money to address the mids too. I imagine we'll be sticking with our current midfield mix for the next couple of years and just hope we can get quality rotations from half forwards and half backs to balance things up as we've been doing with Fog, Cinc, Doch etc over the last couple of years.

Jesse has never been the sort of player to dominate, or even play well, often in the VFL. Im remember his game before he was a late in against Port where he kicked 4 last year was a seriously poor one. Like 6 disposals and 1 goal, or something like that. He seems to benefit from opportunities that only come up at senior level. I have no doubt he could come into the AFL team and have an impact
Perhaps, I'm still not convinced he ends up the elite small forward many have hoped for. Would definitely be going after a ready made small forward come years end to ensure it won't persist as an issue in 2025 if Durdin and Motlop still aren't up to the task.

I think that 4 goal game against Port does a lot of heavy lifting in terms how some view Jesse.
His numbers overall aren't too dissimilar to Owies who is seemingly viewed as a placeholder by some.
Hopefully he can put it together & take his game to a higher level, if he's seen as being a potential matchwinner at senior level, he should be taking the absolute piss at the lower level.
We shouldn't be gifting games, if he stays engaged he can earn a spot.

Imo the explosive midfielder is something we're just going to have to learn to live without. Backup KPD and a solid Small Fwd will push our cap to the brink, I don't think we'd have the money to address the mids too. I imagine we'll be sticking with our current midfield mix for the next couple of years and just hope we can get quality rotations from half forwards and half backs to balance things up as we've been doing with Fog, Cinc, Doch etc over the last couple of years.
I’m with you, Walshy. I think there is a speedier second incarnation of this team (a bit like how the Geelong premiership team of 2011 was different to the 2007 version), but I think we have to learn to live without it in this version of our squad.

My only question would be whether Billy Wilson looks like he has pace? If so, we could maybe start getting him into this midfield from next year.

Thing with Hayward is he is a genuine threat in the air. Right now we only have two of those in the forward line. Sydney have four or five if Heeney rests there.
Agree but Charlie and H are better than the tall forwards of most clubs. So if Williams continues to kick goals then maybe we can live without a Hayward type?

Cooper Lord reputedly has more burst than either George, Kennedy and Carroll, also a strong 2-way runner and great defensively.
The recruiter's might have solved part of the future midfield puzzle, along with Billy for some real dash, and Elijah as another outside option.

Also have Doc for a couple of years. I think we have more glaring holes, like a young KPD and a ready-to-go medium forward.

Agree but Charlie and H are better than the tall forwards of most clubs. So if Williams continues to kick goals then maybe we can live without a Hayward type?
I can absolutely see what you are saying Accidental Genius. I just think it is a case that we would be relying on Williams to display some continuity in his football from both a fitness and a form perspective. Putting the two together has been a challenge for him over his career to date. Not saying it is impossible, but it would be out of kilter with what we have seen so far.

I can absolutely see what you are saying Accidental Genius. I just think it is a case that we would be relying on Williams to display some continuity in his football from both a fitness and a form perspective. Putting the two together has been a challenge for him over his career to date. Not saying it is impossible, but it would be out of kilter with what we have seen so far.
Yeah I agree.

One good thing we are seeing is Williams is enjoying footy so much more being up front. I think he is way more suited to an attacking style of play.

He seems to be in his elements now.

In defence he was struggling and didn’t look happy. Although team defence is the way to go there is still too much pressure on backmen. They need to be so much more accountable/disciplined - one **** up and oppo score and all eyes are on you. Naturally you feel shit and probably a bit more chance of injury.

Hopefully Williams keeps kicking goals but we still need more from others.

Owies ✅

EHollands - kicking goals and probably still improving

Fog - great pressure and score assists but needs to kick goals as well.

Motlop - loves kicking goals. Probably could look for better options at times but you wouldn’t want him to lose the instinct to snap at goals too much.

CDurdin - major improvement required on all facets of his game.

Would be nice to get more goals from our MIds/wings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back